The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.2 - Rookie at the Top: Gabriella's Task: Time for Celebration

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 06, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17582 comments Mod
20.2 - Rookie at the Top - Gabriella's Task: Time for Celebration

Choose ONE of the following options.
REQUIRED: State which option you chose when you post.

Option A - April 8 is the birthday of my "one and only" and History is one of her favorite subjects. Read a book with a genre on its main book page that contains "History" or "Historical".

Option B - As Spring is a season of renewal, let's diversify our reading. Read a book set at least 50% in South America, Africa or Asia.

For the purposes of this task, use one of the following countries:

✴ South America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela.

✴ Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Democratic Republic or Republic), Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Erithea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Lybia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwande, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

✴ Asia: Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Cyprus, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, North or South Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste/East Timor, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen.

Required: Identify the country if it is not obvious in the book's description or metadata.

Option C - March 17 is Saint Patrick's Day and the original color associated with it was blue. Read a book set at least 50% in Ireland or with a cover that's at least 50% blue.
Ex:
Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon Dark Revelations (Level 26, #3) by Anthony E. Zuiker Black Hills by Nora Roberts A Dream of Ice (Earthend Saga #2) by Gillian Anderson The Castle by Franz Kafka The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
Required: Include the cover.

message 3: by Gabriella (last edited May 03, 2016 03:45PM) (new)

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17582 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Kathy (new)

message 6: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Kathy wrote: "Does this work for Option 3?
The All-Girl Filling Station's Last ReunionThe All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion by Fannie Flagg"

Yes. It also works for option A.

message 7: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Option A
Gabriella can you please verify genre (they tend to disappear on me)
Historical Fiction 133 users
Historical 64 users
Maids of Misfortune

Thanks!

By the way, book 2 is blue and historical fiction
Uneasy Spirits (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #2) by M. Louisa Locke

message 8: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Jonquil wrote: "Option A
Gabriella can you please verify genre (they tend to disappear on me)
Historical Fiction 133 users
Historical 64 users
Maids of Misfortune

Thanks!

By the way, book 2 is b..."

Approved. Both work.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 670 comments Option C- is this enough blue? The Underside of Joy by Seré Prince Halverson

message 10: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Susan wrote: "Option C- is this enough blue? The Underside of Joy by Seré Prince Halverson"

Yes.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1530 comments Please confirm Death Comes To Kurland Hall for Historical Fiction (currently 14 users). Thanks.

message 12: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Lauren wrote: "Please confirm Death Comes To Kurland Hall for Historical Fiction (currently 14 users). Thanks."

Confirmed.

message 13: by Nicole (last edited Mar 04, 2016 06:14AM) (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments So I wanted to be helpful and also wanted to use my TBR pile...and apparently I have a crap ton of blue covers. Sorry if this is obnoxious. To my eye, these all work, but let me know if you disagree. I get a little list happy...

The Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian Keyes The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards The Berlin Boxing Club by Robert Sharenow The Tiffany Box A Memoir by Kathleen Buckstaff Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan Breaking Night A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray A Map of Everything by Elizabeth Earley The Snow Queen by Michael Cunningham Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands by Chris Bohjalian The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak by Brian Katcher Hugo & Rose by Bridget Foley The New Neighbor by Leah Stewart Brave 50 Everyday Acts of Courage to Thrive in Work, Love, and Life by Margie Warrell The Flying Circus by Susan Crandall What We Left Behind by Robin Talley The Year We Fell Apart by Emily Martin Quiet Your Mind An Easy-to-Use Guide to Ending Chronic Worry and Negative Thoughts and Living a Calmer Life by John Selby Yoga and the Pursuit of Happiness A Guide to Finding Joy in Unexpected Places by Sam Chase Flawed by Cecelia Ahern

message 14: by Gabriella (last edited Mar 04, 2016 06:46AM) (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Nicole wrote: "So I wanted to be helpful and also wanted to use my TBR pile...and apparently I have a crap ton of blue covers. Sorry if this is obnoxious. To my eye, these all work, but let me know if you disagre..."

Haha, tks! =D
The Brightest Star on the Sky is already listed, as I also have this book. The only one that can't be used is The Year We Fell Apart. Feel free to read any of the others.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Gabriella wrote: "Nicole wrote: "So I wanted to be helpful and also wanted to use my TBR pile...and apparently I have a crap ton of blue covers. Sorry if this is obnoxious. To my eye, these all work, but let me know..."
Too green? :)

message 16: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Nicole wrote: "Gabriella wrote: "Nicole wrote: "So I wanted to be helpful and also wanted to use my TBR pile...and apparently I have a crap ton of blue covers. Sorry if this is obnoxious. To my eye, these all wor..."

Yup haha Too green.

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Also (in the name of being helpful)- Goodbye Stranger won't work because the AR isn't high enough and it has the main page genre Children's (I know this because I read it this past weekend since I checked and realized I could not use it for the challenge).

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Does All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven qualify as 50%+ blue for you?

message 19: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Nicole wrote: "Also (in the name of being helpful)- Goodbye Stranger won't work because the AR isn't high enough and it has the main page genre Children's (I know this because I read it this past ..."

Oops, my bad. I tried to check everything, but I guess I skipped this one. Tks!

message 20: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Melanie wrote: "Does All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven qualify as 50%+ blue for you?"

Yep.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7582 comments does Historical work as a genre, or does it need to be historical fiction?

Garters has historical, but not historical fiction

(no problems if it doesn't work)

message 22: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Dee wrote: "does Historical work as a genre, or does it need to be historical fiction?

Garters has historical, but not historical fiction

(no problems if it doesn't work)"

Nope, it works. Anything historical works.

message 23: by Ana (new)

Ana | 335 comments Does this work The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey ? For a blue cover

message 24: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Ana wrote: "Does this work The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey? For a blue cover"

Yep.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Does this work for option C - Blue cover?

The Year I Met You by Cecelia Ahern

message 26: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Masoodah wrote: "Does this work for option C - Blue cover?

The Year I Met You by Cecelia Ahern"

Yes, it does.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Gabriella wrote: "Masoodah wrote: "Does this work for option C - Blue cover?

The Year I Met You by Cecelia Ahern"

Yes, it does."

Thank you! :)

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Hey there. Could I please get Master Thieves The Boston Gangsters Who Pulled Off the World’s Greatest Art Heist by Stephen Kurkjian ok'd for blue cover? It's tagged by seven people as "History" but just to be safe...

message 29: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Cindy wrote: "Hey there. Could I please get Master Thieves The Boston Gangsters Who Pulled Off the World’s Greatest Art Heist by Stephen Kurkjian ok'd for blue cover? It's tagged by seven people as "History" b..."

Oh, it works either way. Enjoy!

message 30: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Gabriella wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Hey there. Could I please get Master Thieves The Boston Gangsters Who Pulled Off the World’s Greatest Art Heist by Stephen Kurkjian ok'd for blue cover? It's tagged by seven people ..."

sweet. thanks!

message 31: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Would a non fiction language book be classed as being 'set' in the country? GENKI: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese Workbook I 初級日本語 げんき ワークブック I 第2版 is 'set' in a fictional Tokyo.

message 32: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Nicola wrote: "Would a non fiction language book be classed as being 'set' in the country? GENKI: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese Workbook I 初級日本語 げんき ワークブック I 第2版 is 'set' in a ficti..."

Sorry, nope.

message 33: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3923 comments For Option A, please confirm Historical Fiction as a genre for The Tin Roof Blowdown. It is showing only 6 users and is near the end of the list.

message 34: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Bea wrote: "For Option A, please confirm Historical Fiction as a genre for The Tin Roof Blowdown. It is showing only 6 users and is near the end of the list."

Confirmed. Enjoy!

message 35: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3923 comments Gabriella wrote: "Bea wrote: "For Option A, please confirm Historical Fiction as a genre for The Tin Roof Blowdown. It is showing only 6 users and is near the end of the list."

Confirmed. Enjoy!"

Thanks, Gabriella.

message 36: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3923 comments I am so glad that I got The Tin Roof Blowdown approved here, because the genre disappeared by the time I posted. Thanks again, Gabriella!

message 37: by etwatson (new)

etwatson | 46 comments Hi. Can I have Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children approved for Historical Fiction? Thanks!

message 38: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments etwatson wrote: "Hi. Can I have Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children approved for Historical Fiction? Thanks!"

Approved! =)

message 39: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Bea wrote: "I am so glad that I got The Tin Roof Blowdown approved here, because the genre disappeared by the time I posted. Thanks again, Gabriella!"

You're welcome! =)

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1530 comments Please confirm The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6) by Linda Castillo for option C. Thanks.

message 41: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Lauren wrote: "Please confirm The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6) by Linda Castillo for option C. Thanks."

Confirmed =)

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1530 comments Thanks

message 43: by Lola (new)

Lola | 287 comments Uncle Janice by Matt Burgess

Does this work for Option C, blue cover?
Thanks!

message 44: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Lorraine wrote: "Uncle Janice by Matt Burgess

Does this work for Option C, blue cover?
Thanks!"

Yes

message 45: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments is this blue enough. Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands, #1) by Alwyn Hamilton

message 46: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments JennRenee wrote: "is this blue enough. Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands, #1) by Alwyn Hamilton"

Nope, sorry.

message 47: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 889 comments Before I post I just want to check

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff

Enough Blue??

message 48: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Tammy AZ wrote: "Before I post I just want to check

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff

Enough Blue??"

Yep. That's fine.

message 49: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Paperweight by Meg Haston

Is this blue to your eye? It is in person but admittedly its more greenish blue in this image.

Yes- it's just like me to ask you to greenlight 15 books on my to-read list and then find a completely different option at the library!

message 50: by Gabriella (last edited Mar 20, 2016 05:27PM) (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Nicole wrote: "Paperweight by Meg Haston

Is this blue to your eye? It is in person but admittedly its more greenish blue in this image.

Yes- it's just like me to ask you to greenlight 15 books on my to-..."

Don't worry, I do the exact same thing very often. I actually use labs.tineye.com/color/ as to determine this way too confusing colors, but, sorry, there too much green in it, even though it's a greenish blue.

« previous 1