Bibliophiles of Loathing discussion

Andre the Giant: Life and Legend
This topic is about Andre the Giant
Comic/Manga/Graphic Novel 2016 > March - Andre the Giant: Life and Legend

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shaun, Putz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shaun (ohnoanotherputz) | 58 comments Mod
The polls are in and Andre the Giant: Life and Legend will be our book for March. Truly a figure that was larger than life (or at least very large!) Let us know what you think of this book, and go check the suggestion thread to suggest a book for later months.

message 2: by Shaun, Putz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shaun (ohnoanotherputz) | 58 comments Mod
I went into this book already knowing a fair bit about Andre, so a lot of this was just a graphical interpretation of things I already knew. Though I didn't totally care for the graphical style, I enjoyed the book. I can appreciate a stylized interpretation, it was just a bit too cartoony to the point where Andre didn't look menacing, he looked comical. Perhaps it's was the noses.

Anyway, I think it did a good job of presenting both the good and bad of Andre's life and letting you judge for yourself. They didn't do too much rationalizing of his behavior, or leaving out the bad parts. The only attempts to do this were at the beginning where Hulk Hogan explains a bit about Andre's life, and constant pain, which was probably true. And while I mostly appreciate them not taking a stand on trying to explain what he does, in the same vain then it came off a little detached as a narrative. This as exacerbated for me but it skipping around in little fragmented pieces of his life. Though it gives a good overview, it is a little stilted. It's hard to get a flow of things going.

Things I didn't know about Andre: 1) His racist joking within earshot of Bad News Brown. Who can say why he did this. Was it legitimate ignorance, drunk talk, or was he genuinely racist? All I know is, that despite his tendency to get into trouble when drunk (which he was frequently) those who got close to him think he was the nicest guy. The fact that he later apologized makes me hope he was just ignorant. 2) That he had a daughter. I flat out didn't know this, though obviously it wasn't well known as he was not a part of her life at all. Again, all it really states is the fact that this is so, it doesn't make too many judgements.

The one thing I personally would consider changing, had to do with the framing. you started with Hogan talking about Andre, but that is the only time this happens. It would have been interesting if each of the stories had been framed with personality sharing the story. Of course this might have been hard to swing and include stuff like his illegitimate daughter. Who would tell that tale?

Anyway, this book seemed to get the facts right. Or at very least, the stories right. As it itself admits, it's hard to separate fact from fiction with a man like Andre. But it doesn't contain anything that is out and out wrong, and covers important aspects of him as a person.

I enjoyed it, though I worry that someone with no interest in wrestling would be swayed by this book, which is unfortunate as Andre is a genuinely interesting person.