YA and Beyond discussion

TOP 5 > Top 5 Great first chapters

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Thought I`d start a new thread.And remember, the group is called ya AND BEYOND so adult books are perfectly okay in lists.

Mine:
- Shadowland (The Mediator, #1) by Meg Cabot
- Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead
- Boys Don't Knit (Boys Don't Knit, #1) by T.S. Easton
- Geek Girl (Geek Girl, #1) by Holly Smale
- Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1) by Derek Landy

message 2: by Ashley Marie (last edited Mar 03, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Ashley Marie Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Croak (Croak, #1) by Gina Damico Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1) by Susan Dennard The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch

just off the top of my head

message 3: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 2471 comments Mod
Ooh love this one! I definitely second Harry Potter and The Raven Boys. :) Some others I can think of:

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls Holes (Holes, #1) by Louis Sachar

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 986 comments Mod
Books I chose not necessarily my most favorite books, but they definitely captured me in the first chapter...

Heist Society (Heist Society, #1) by Ally Carter Through the Woods by Emily Carroll Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1) by Barry Lyga Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee

message 5: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Those are some good ones, Bluemoon!!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 6961 comments Mod
I will have to look at my lists and come back but I totally agree with Heist Society! The beginning of that was great!

Thanks for getting it started Oda! I was going to grab one from your list but you beat me too it!

message 8: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie omg Prisoner of Azkaban too <3 and DOSB!

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 03, 2016 09:40PM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "Thanks for getting it started Oda! I was going to grab one from your list but you beat me too it!"

Sorry I was impatient\thought why wait. Bluemoon said go for it.

Also, really happy that its a so active thread so fast.

1. The Road The Road by Cormac McCarthy
2. The Monstrumologist The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1) by Rick Yancey
3. The Girl Who Played with Fire The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson
4. The Girl with All the Gifts The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
5. The Martian The Martian by Andy Weir

Honorable mention to The Heist Society and Harry Potter books 3 & 7

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* wrote: "Books I chose not necessarily my most favorite books, but they definitely captured me in the first chapter...

Heist Society (Heist Society, #1) by Ally CarterThrough the Woods by Emily Carroll[bookcover:Harr..."

I Hunt Killers is a good one - each book in that series had great beginnings!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Ooh love this one! I definitely second Harry Potter and The Raven Boys. :) Some others I can think of:

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick RiordanThe Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness[bookco..."

I agree with TKONLG - and again think all 3 books in the series had good beginnings.

message 13: by Brigid ✩ (new)

@Heidi - The Monstrumologist is a good one! I thought about including it in my list. :) And yes, all the Chaos Walking books start out really strong!

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 986 comments Mod
HEIDI: I totally agree buy I Hunt Killers was the one that drew me in with the trilogy.

Great choice with Monstrumologist! I second what Brigid said.