Danielle L. Jensen's Reader Group discussion

Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Stolen Songbird
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Stolen Songbird Read-Along > Stolen Songbird Chapters 18-24

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danielle (last edited Mar 03, 2016 12:47PM) (new) - added it

Danielle Jensen | 359 comments Mod
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS!!!

Here are the discussion questions! You can answer as many or as few as you want, and you can also pose questions about these chapters to me!

TO UNLOCK EXTRA CONTENT #8 I need 20 different people to answer at least one question!

One participant on this thread will win a signed copy of WARRIOR WITCH, courtesy of my publisher, Angry Robot Books

All participants are entitled to a WARRIOR WITCH swag pack. Details here https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

1. We’ve been talking a bit about The 100 on these threads, and I’d like to know what other book-to-film adaptations you’ve enjoyed. Are there any that you’re looking forward to? Do you get upset when the film/TV show changes the plot, or are you okay with that?

2. After Stolen Songbird was published, lots of people described it as an adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, which made me laugh, because that hadn’t been in my mind at all when I was writing it. Why do you think people thought that? Do you see parallels between the two?

3. When Cécile goes into the mines, she learns a lot more about how poorly the half-bloods were treated. The theme of oppression by the aristocracy is important to the plot of Stolen Songbird, because it is Tristan’s primary motivator. Do you find that plotline interesting or boring? Why?

4. I put a lot of clues in the scene where Cécile learns about Anushka. Did this scene cause you to have any suspicions of the witch’s identity and her motivations, or were you still in the dark?

5. Despite knowing that Tristan has to put on an act for Angoulême, Cécile still cracks under his verbal abuse and the suggestion he's having an affair. Why do you think she so easily fell for the Duke's manipulation? Would you have done the same? Given the growing chemistry between her and Tristan, and her desire to help the half-bloods, were you surprised that she took the chance to escape?

6. Cécile sees Tristan shirtless for the first time and she LIKES what she sees. Who do you think our favorite troll prince looks like? PLEASE feel free to post photos :)

message 2: by Danielle (last edited Mar 03, 2016 01:03PM) (new) - added it

Chapter summaries for those who need them

Chapter 18
Cécile knows that she can lure Tristan to the gardens when she sings, and today is no different. But this time, when he leaves after she is finished, she follows him. Their rooms are dark when she arrives, but she senses he’s there. Wandering down into the courtyard, she discovers a piano has been placed there, and on it, there is a glass rose. When she touches it, the rose glows pink. Tristan is sitting on a bench in the shadows, and while she plays for him, Tristan expresses admiration of her bravery for standing up to Damia. He explains that Lessa is his elder half-sister, which means the King once had an affair with a half-blood. This new information does not fit with what Cécile knows about the King, and after some thought, she determines that instead of spending her time learning about art and history, it was better spent learning more about the complexities of troll politics.

The next night Zoé and Élise sneak Cécile out of the palace so that she might see and better understand the struggles the half-bloods face. When they arrive at a small house in the Dregs, they are greeted by Tips. He is the miner who will be smuggling Cécile and Zoé into the mines for the day, and when he asks Cécile why she’s doing this, she explains that she needs to know what she’s fight for.
The descent into the mines is both terrifying and exciting. Once they reach the area where they will be mining, they put Zoé to work. The half-bloods need to make a quota; if they don’t they must choose a member of the gang to be left in the labyrinth for the sluag. Tips spends most of the night explaining the harsh circumstances the half-bloods endure.

At the end of the day, the gang hears a cave-in on the way back to the lift. When they reach the lift, a guild member joins them, which makes them all nervous, because they are worried Cécile will be caught. Tips discusses the cave in with the guild member. A gang went into an unstable area to find more gold because they were going to miss their quota. Tips accuses the guild member of indifference to the deaths, which causes them to quarrel. As they are fighting, the Guild Member sees Cécile. Instead of turning her in, he tells her that he has to live by the same laws as everyone else, and she realizes he’s sympathetic to the half-bloods plight. She wonders if there are more like him.

Chapter 19
The mines and what Cécile learned while she was in them made a large impact on her. She now feels certain that helping the half-bloods is the correct course of action, but believes that to do so, she must learn more, so she goes with Élise to the library. Enlisting the help of a librarian named Martin, she asks for books relating to the prophecy, Anushka, and the Fall. The book he finds her is illustrated, and they both notice that Cécile bears a striking resemblance to the portrait of Anushka within the pages. Cécile reads the account of the Fall, horrified to discover how horribly humans were treated as the trolls struggled to dig a pathway out. She also learns that Anushka murdered the troll king as he walked with her out into sunlight and freedom, then cursed the trolls to remain within the confines of Trollus for as long as she drew breath.

Martin offers more information about the difference between troll magic and human (witch) magic. Witches draw from the power of the earth; they can heal people and even bend people to their will. Cécile secretly wonders if her ability to convince people to do what she wants might be a product of magic. Martin also shows Cécile a witch’s grimoire that no one has ever been able to open. She tries and fails to open it.

Tristan interrupts them. Under pressure from Cécile, he recites the foretelling for her, but when she tries to discuss what it means, he gets angry and tells her not to delve further. She realizes that it isn’t that he doesn’t think the curse can be broken, it’s that he doesn’t think it should be. He shows her how poorly trolls have treated humans throughout history, and tells her it will be more of the same if they are free to rule the world once again. This new information makes Cécile reconsider breaking the curse. Once he leaves, Cécile tries to open the grimoire again. This time she succeeds. She flips through the pages, and as her eyes catch sight of a chapter titled: Trolls, Élise comes up behind her.

Chapter 20
Cécile lies to Élise, telling her that the grimoire isn’t helpful, and hides the book in her pocket when the other girl isn’t looking. They return to the palace as Cécile is suppose to dine with the King, but once back in her rooms, Cécile goes to the garderobe (bathroom!) to read further. She learns about how spells against trolls require troll blood and about what one needs to curse them. But before she can delve any further, Élise tells her it is time to get ready.

When she arrives, the King is displeased that Tristan has refused to show up, again. He warns her to start focusing on capturing Tristan’s attention, not her other activities. The conversation ends with a threat that if they don’t start acting like a married couple soon, he will lock her up until she understands what it means to defy him.

Cécile is upset when she returns to her room and her maids suggest she start wearing tighter dresses and more alluring perfume. At least that way the King will know she is trying, even if Tristan refuses to act more appropriately. As they are altering one of her gowns, Cécile contemplates her wish that Tristan would trust her more, and that he’d believe that she’d never do anything to hurt him or jeopardize his cause. Later that night, she examines the book further and determines there are spells within it that might be useful against the King, but that she’ll need Tristan’s help. She wonders if the alterations to her appearance might be what she needs to lure him in.

Chapter 21
Cécile wakes up to find Tristan in their rooms. There are a few moments of awkwardness as they discuss Cécile’s new order to seduce him. When he changes his shirt, Cécile feels desire for him, then embarrassment, because she knows he felt what she was feeling. As he goes to leave, she asks him to show her the tree. He agrees, joking that his father did order them to spend more time together.

Tristan is in charge of maintaining the magic of the tree, and he lights it up to show her what it looks like. It is one of the rare moments they are not (fake) arguing and they enjoy each other’s company, sharing information about themselves. On their way back to the palace, Cécile knocks Tristan away from a ray of sunlight, believing it will turn him to stone. When she explains herself, he starts to laugh and enquires what other myths she’s heard about trolls. They have a light-hearted conversation about the many myths she’s heard, but the conversation grows serious when she tells him that trolls are supposed to be ugly.

There is a brief moment where they almost kiss, but Angoulême interrupts. Tristan reverts to his usual snarky personality, but this time, it doesn’t seem like an act. Angoulême makes many insulting comments and suggests that he knows Tristan’s true loyalties. Then he mentions Tristan and Anaïs’s affair and Cécile believes that Tristan has been lying about what he does at night, especially when he doesn’t deny it.

Feeling betrayed, she runs away and no one stops her. She finds herself near the waterfall and the gates to the labyrinth, and because she’d been with Tristan, her guards are not present. She decides to take the opportunity to escape.

Chapter 22
Tristan slumps against a wall, worrying that Angoulême is too close to the truth. He knows Angoulême will try to use Cécile against him to gain information. He also knows that he cares too much for her to let anything happen to her.

Marc comes and they discuss what has occurred. He tells Tristan he must find Cécile soon so he can explain to her that the affair with Anaïs is a lie. When Tristan focuses on his sense of where Cécile is, he realizes that she’s too far away to be in the city, and that she’s found her way into the labyrinth.

Chapter 23
Cécile runs through the crushed streets that make up this part of the labyrinth, trying to remember everything she learned about sluag. But she stops just before the tunnel leading into the depths of the labyrinth in order to ‘listen’ to Tristan’s emotions. She senses his fear, desperation, and misery, but interprets them as concern over how his father will react to him allowing her to escape. She believes he isn’t going to come after her – that he’d rather be with Anaïs – and tells herself she doesn’t care anymore. She pushes further into the labyrinth.

Chapter 24
Marc is prepared to go after Cécile, but Tristan tells him not to. Tristan believes that she is tough enough to make it through the labyrinth, and that this might be her only chance to escape Trollus. He can’t take that away from her. If he did, she would hate him. He believes that this is what she wants.

message 3: by Danielle (last edited Mar 03, 2016 07:43PM) (new) - added it

FUN FACTS!

Chapter 18 – Cécile’s ride on the cart in the mines was loosely inspired by the scene in Harry Potter when he visits Gringotts Wizarding Bank and they go through the underground vaults. Here’s a link to a YouTube clip https://youtu.be/isWBD76ZkVM

Chapter 19 – Anushka was a very interesting character for me to develop. I liked the idea that over the centuries the trolls – via propaganda and time – came to see her as this innately evil creature, with little thought given to her justifications and motivations. As an outsider, Cécile is able to question those beliefs without the prejudice of a lifetime of captivity. She believes that Anushka must have had a GOOD reason to do what she did, and she’s right!

Chapter 20 – Duchesse Sylvie insults the King with a little rhyme: “The glutton’s gut eats all day and lechers all night. Such a thoroughfare of vice has no time to waste waiting on manners.” That line was taken from a poem by Ben Jonson titled ‘On Gut’

Gut eats all day and lechers all the night;
So all his meat he tasteth over twice;
And, striving so to double his delight,
He makes himself a thoroughfare of vice.
Thus in his belly can he change a sin:
Lust it comes out, that gluttony went in.

The masque in Hidden Huntress was inspired by the court masques written by Ben Jonson for King James in the 17th century.

Chapter 21 – The scene in which Cécile and Tristan discuss the various myths about trolls is a fairly obvious nod to The Hobbit, but it was also my way of poking fun at the fact that my trolls are really nothing like the trolls of mythology. That scene also has my favorite lines from the novel: “I think it is our nature to believe evil always has an ugly face,” he said, ignoring my question. “Beauty is supposed to be good and kind, and to discover it otherwise is like a betrayal of trust. A violation of the nature of things.” That particular thought was inspired by an article I read years ago that argued that people were more likely to trust attractive vs. unattractive individuals, a thesis that has quite a bit of research to support it. This notion has always troubled me, because obviously how an individual looks has no bearing on how good a person they are, which is one of the reasons why I made Marc, who is arguably the most honest and kind character in the novel, physically disfigured. This was also one of the reasons why I made the ultimate villain, the Duke d’Angoulême, attractive in appearance, because trusting him would surely be a mistake!

Chapter 22 – Not too much to say about this chapter other than what would Tristan do without Marc?

Chapter 23 – I really like this scene, because it once again demonstrates how knowing what something is feeling isn’t the same as knowing what they are thinking. Cécile knows that Tristan is afraid, desperate, and miserable, but she entirely misinterprets why he is having those feelings.

Chapter 24 – One of the things that was important for me to demonstrate in this chapter was that Tristan has faith in Cécile’s ability to take care of herself. He doesn’t think she’s helpless or incapable, and he doesn’t instinctively think she needs him to rescue her. For me, it was a sign of the respect he had for her even this early in their relationship.

Morgan Wellman-kuhn | 3 comments 3. When Cécile goes into the mines, she learns a lot more about how poorly the half-bloods were treated. The theme of oppression by the aristocracy is important to the plot of Stolen Songbird, because it is Tristan’s primary motivator. Do you find that plotline interesting or boring? Why?

I find that the plot line is really interesting. Because of the fact that it is Tristan's motive. So it makes it so that i understand Tristan behavior better. As well as that we get to be more sympathetic with the cause. It also gives us a glimpse of how not all the fullbloods feel the same about them. It is also because we get to meet more of the half-bloods. So it is really cool.

message 5: by Danielle (new) - added it

Morgan wrote: "3. When Cécile goes into the mines, she learns a lot more about how poorly the half-bloods were treated. The theme of oppression by the aristocracy is important to the plot of Stolen Songbird, beca..."

I thought it was important to show Cecile (and the reader) why Tristan is doing what he's doing :)

Adriyanna Zimmermann (akzfineart) | 18 comments 1. I love the 100! I'm not caught up with the last few episodes though because 1 & 2 (of recent season) slightly surprised me.

I think the Hunger Games and Divergent are great adaptations. I haven't read the Divergent books so I don't know exactly how they compare to the movies, but I've heard many fans upset over changes haha. I also love The Vampire Diaries (books & tv show) although the last few seasons have been a mess - can't seem to stop watching though

femia (femiael) | 4 comments 1. My favorite book-to-film adaption is The Hunger Games^^ I'm really looking forward to Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I haven't even read the book. It's still in my tbr list. For me, I can get upset if film/tv show changes a lot the plot and it's sad if they don't include my favorite scenes, but it's okay as long as it tells the same story^^

Nicole (nicole_t) | 43 comments 1. I always struggle with movie adaptations because they can rarely be very loyal to the complexity of the books. I tend to get frustrated when they change the plot, but recently I've been trying to see movie adaptations like alternative versions of the books. One adaptation I'm looking forward to is Me Before You, and of course Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them!

2. I never thought it had anything to do with Beauty and the Beast. Is it because Cécile is a country girl who dreams big? Because she's "locked up" by the prince? Tristan may be cursed, but for an entirely different reason... I think you may find some things in common if you try really hard, but I don't think the stories are similar.

3. I LOVE the plot line. To me it's what sets Stolen Songbird apart from all those YA books in which all that matters is how the handsome guy falls in love with the main character. The intricate politics is definitely one of the things I like the most about Stolen Songbird, and yet you were able to present it in a simple way, which allows people like me who in reality don't really understand politics to appreciate your creation.

4. I honestly don't remember what I thought when I first read it. I think it crossed my mind that (Hidden Huntress spolier alert)(view spoiler)

5. I think Cécile was still insecure about Tristan's feelings. Obviously a lot had gone on before she arrived at Trollus, and I think this made her unsure whether she really understood Tristan's actions. As I mentioned in a past thread, I'm unfortunately a very jealous person, so I know that if I were Cécile I would also have been very upset and would have tried to run away, so I wasn't surprised when she did.

6. To be honest I can never exactly picture the characters. I mean, I can't picture the exact facial details, and while I'm reading it doesn't really bother me, so I don't wonder what person/celebrity would look like them. It's why I have a hard time suggesting actors in those "if this book became a movie, who should play the characters" threads. I don't know if that makes me an awful reader haha!

Christa | 8 comments 1. As I've gotten older I can appreciate adaptations for what they are, adaptations. I saw the first Harry Potter movie when I was a kid and all I could do was point out what got cut from the books. Now I like watching tv shows and movies based off books. I usually avoid rereading the book until after I've seen the movie because I can appreciate it better if the details aren't fresh in my mind.
I'm really enjoying Outlander. I liked the first hunger games movie and the Martian. Apparently I need to read the 100, I hadn't heard of it until these threads.

2. I don't think of Stolen Songbird as a beauty and the beast adaptation but I can see the parallels. The pretty talented girl who doesn't quite fit in gets taken captive by creatures she finds monstrous against her will to a magical place. She slowly learns to understand where she is being held captive. The "beast" scares her at first but she grows to understand him and love him. It's similar to beauty and the beast like a court of thorns and roses is. It has similarities but it becomes a great story in its own right.

3. I like the political plot line. It gave Tristan a depth and motivation that made me like him.

4. I didn't figure out who Anushka was in Stolen Songbird but figured it out pretty early on in Hidden Huntress.

5. Poor poor Cecile. Her feelings for Tristan are stronger than she realized at this time and I think that's why it hurt so bad when she felt betrayed and played the fool by him. Everything that was said to her had an element of truth in it and I think that's what pushed her over the edge. It's been weeks, maybe months living with trolls and being treated as an inferior. She's being kept in the dark on Tristan's motivations. And the duke hits a sore spot. Tristan isn't sleeping in her rooms at night. She was thinking he was wondering the streets when he was in fact with another woman. Add to it the king threatening her, being alone, being kidnapped, missing her friends and family, and losing trust in the person she was starting to understand, no wonder she ran. I was hoping she would too. Cecile has a strong personality and isn't a doormat. I like that about her and I'm glad she tried to run when she had the chance.

6. Tall dark and handsome, clearly.

Christa | 8 comments Thoughts I had not related to discussion questions.

It surprised me that the king has a half human child. Tristan says it best when his motivations and not simple but complex and clever. He's one of my favorite characters just for this reason. I like him more than Anushka because her motivations are very straightforward, but I still can't figure out the king. I hope we get more of him in warrior witch.

The dinner scene with the king when he threatens her is truly terrifying. I won't spoil hidden huntress but it's even more terrifying in hindsight because it's not an idle threat.

Love the hobbit reference with the kids and the light show.

I like how Cecile is reading Tristan's emotions after she runs and completely misunderstands the motivations behind them. I'm glad we get Tristan's point of view to see his true motivations.

message 11: by Melissa (last edited Mar 04, 2016 09:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa (thereaderandthechef) (melissarobles) 1. I love the Pride and Prejudice movie with Keira Knightly, it has my favorite Mr. Darcy ♥ Also, I recently feel in love with Beastly. I haven't read the book, but I reeeeeaally liked the storyline. As for TV shows adapted from books, none right now. Can't get into The 100, either. :(

2. It never crossed my mind before! The only thing that pops into my mind is the glass rose, like, you know, the rose in Beauty and the Beast. Tbh. I hardly remember the movie/fairytale except for the awesome library!

3. I thought it was a crucial part for Stolen Songbird for us to better understand (along with Cécile) Trollus' situation and which side to root for. And it's pretty complicated, since it's not double-sided, but has multiple plights and views, each side fighting for what they think they deserve.

4. YES! My suspicions were pretty strong one we started to learn more about Trollus & the curse, but when Cécile opens up the grimoire, the were confirmed. However, there are still a few surprises stored later on about Anushka's identity!

5. Because JEALOUSY. Even though Cécile feels Tristan emotions, it is not the same as mind-reading. Emotions, like you mention above, can be easily misinterpreted. And Tristan HAS been spending his nights in Anaïs house/bed, Cécile knows Tristan spends a lot of time with her, and as any woman would, it's hard not to try to compare with the other woman's beauty. And we know Anaïs is gorgeous. I would definitely have a low self-esteem in her situation. But... I don't know if I would have run away like she does. I think I would have just endured that dreadful moment and run off to my room later. And then totally fail the king's orders and be possibly dead by now. Awesome. :(

6. I would have also LOVED what she sees. *giggles**swoons**throws open windows to let cool air in*
This is how MY Tristan looks like:

description

I scoured the internet for hours, until I found this model whose name is *mumbles* Tristan. Yeah. ♥♥♥♥

message 12: by Danielle (new) - added it

Adriyanna wrote: "1. I love the 100! I'm not caught up with the last few episodes though because 1 & 2 (of recent season) slightly surprised me.

I think the Hunger Games and Divergent are great adaptations. I haven..."

Hi Adriyanna!
I was a HUGE fan of The Vampire Diaries (show) for a long time, but I stopped watched a few seasons ago, because it's been so meh. I read the first book in the series, but imho, the show is much better. I agree about Hunger Games being a wonderful adaptation, but I've only seen the the first of the Divergent films, so can't really comment too much on that.

message 13: by Danielle (new) - added it

Femia wrote: "1. My favorite book-to-film adaption is The Hunger Games^^ I'm really looking forward to Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I haven't even read the book. It's still in my tbr list. For me, I can get upse..."

Hi Femia,
I used to get upset when movies didn't follow the plot, but I don't anymore. I've come to understand that they are very different mediums, and that sometimes things have to change in order to make a good movie. The only thing that still bugs me is when they cast people who don't look anything like how the author described them, like... Tris in Divergent!

message 14: by Danielle (new) - added it

Nicole wrote: "1. I always struggle with movie adaptations because they can rarely be very loyal to the complexity of the books. I tend to get frustrated when they change the plot, but recently I've been trying t..."

Hi Nicole!

I'm glad you enjoyed that aspect of the plot line! For me, I like books to have a nice mix of romance, politics/intrigue, action, and a bit of mystery. I'd say Stolen Songbird is the most romance focused of the three, Hidden Huntress focuses on politics & intrigue, and Warrior Witch definitely has the most action (and tears!).

During the Hidden Huntress read-along, I'm going to write a long post on why I revealed certain things when I did :)

My problem with celebrity casting is that I tend to cast characters as older than they are, because I'm too old to crush on really young men without feeling super creepy ;-)

Nicole (nicole_t) | 43 comments Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "1. I always struggle with movie adaptations because they can rarely be very loyal to the complexity of the books. I tend to get frustrated when they change the plot, but recently I'v..."

Oh my, Warrior Witch has the most TEARS? Now I'm worried! Haha

I think with casting we really picture whoever is attractive to us, and sometimes ignore some details of how they are described haha. I for example like brunette guys, not blondes, so sometimes I picture a character with dark hair even if he's described as having blond hair because that would make him more attractive to me haha!

Nicole (nicole_t) | 43 comments Melissa wrote: "1. I love the Pride and Prejudice movie with Keira Knightly, it has my favorite Mr. Darcy ♥ Also, I recently feel in love with Beastly. I haven't read the book, but I reeeeeaally liked the storylin..."

I like the picture! A bit more feminine than I pictured him, but it's a cute guy nevertheless!

Shreya Atmakuri (shreya_atmakuri) | 18 comments First off, I'm so glad I joined in on this action! The Malediction Trilogy is my favorite to date, and nothing will ever change that <3

So here we go:

1. I'll be honest when I say that I an yet to see the 100 (sad but true :( ), but when it comes to other adaptations, I really do love the TV series Outlander, which is based on the book by Diana Gabaldon. This is mostly because it does much justice to the book and doesn't exaggerate the acting at all (it's quite splendid in fact). I hope that this book gets its own movie/tv show as I am in love with EVERY aspect of it! It has inspired me in SO many ways, and I would love for it to garner more fans through an alternate media as well. But if I were to look forward to another adaptation, it would be of Sarah J Maas' "A Court of Thorns and Roses". The story dynamic is amazing and would work well on screen. And yes, I hate when the directors/writers toy with book plots that are absolutely fine on their own (*cough* Percy Jackson *cough*). I mean if you ARE going to make changes, PLEASE consult with the author first! They know better.

2. I can see where people may get the beauty and the beast vibe, what with the whole 'monstrous' prince whose lady love is the key to breaking a curse and all. It also helps that the aforementioned lady love isn't a damsel in distress (for the most part) and has a tendency to visit the library a lot (though probably not for recreational reading). Also, aren't both stories set in france? But I personally am just realizing these aspects as I think about them. the first time I read the book, it felt fresh and familiar at the same time; not too much like a fairy tale adaptation.

3. The plotline was very intriguing to me as, while it was a classic tale of rising up against the oppressors to gain freedom and autonomy, it didn't have a heroine who blindly decided to support a cause that as it seemed like the morally correct thing to do. The chapter with Cecile going down to the mines was one of my favorites as it emphasized the fact that there needs to be something to convince a person to fight for something, and the fact that Cecile was willing to pursue this 'something' as she truly wanted to help made me like her even more. Also, the aristocratic oppression gave the story its depth and allowed for some major character development and bonding to occur. I really really liked the way it was intertwined realistically with the story.

4. Personally, I maybe suspected her connection to Cecile as it seemed like a reasonable guess to make. But besides that, I really couldn't think of much as I kept second-guessing myself and thought that the author must be playing with my mind, leading to my giving up on conspiracy theories about Anushka's identity (until book 2 that is...it led to a whole new world of theories and suspicions)

5. When the Duke put doubts in Cecile's head, it toyed with her insecurities about Tristan and played on that ever annoying suspicion that she was the cause he couldn't be with his 'one true love' Anais. Also, while the chemistry was amazing, she probably thought that it could've been the effect of the bond and that the 'attraction' was simply him being protective (btw it's a miracle that any fictional couple can survive a story with their conflicting emotions and insecurities!) But, I would do the same as Cecile as, even though we aren't really too much alike (I aspire to be her), we are the same in our indecisive nature and insecurities. They will forever be the bane of our existence. And I wasn't surprised by her running away. I think her great escape was more to get away from tristan than from Trollus itself. She was grasping onto familiarity in a time where she felt betrayed and used, and that familiarity was something she believed lay outside the gates of Trollus. It was simply a coping mechanism, not an escape (atleast i hope it was).

6. I would rather not compare my ethereal prince to a mundane human who would do him no justice. Okay, I'll be honest...I don't know who he would look like. Whenever I picture him, I just imagine someone tall, built, and dark (though it doesn't always seem that way). My version of Tristan is someone with sharp features and a hint of a smug smile always playing on his lips. Tristan has a full head of luscious black locks and prominent edges to his face. He has one of those faces where you just know that he is always on the verge of executing some plan or the other. He is both perfect and imperfect. If someone can find a picture of a guy like that, it would be much appreciated :)

Nicole (missnicolet) | 13 comments 1. I absolutely LOOOVE the film adaptations of The Hunger Games trilogy. I've... never actually read any of the books (sinful, I know), but I have never been as impressed with other movies based on books. I'm SOOO looking forward to the Miss Peregrine's movie. I expect that to be awesome. I actually don't mind when movies change the plot a bit. Mostly because I've learned to expect it. (:

2. Oh my goodness, I never thought about this! Beauty and the Beast is literally my favorite story/movie EVER. But I didn't think that for a second. I can sort of see similarities. I mean, she's living with a prince who she's not a big fan of at first and they kind of ignore each other most of the time. That's the same. But there's no Gaston character. And Belle doesn't get kidnapped like Cecile does. I don't know. It's funny that people think that. That kind of makes me love the book even more!

Melissa (thereaderandthechef) (melissarobles) Nicole wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "1. I always struggle with movie adaptations because they can rarely be very loyal to the complexity of the books. I tend to get frustrated when they change the plot,..."

I sometimes do that too! With blond-haired guys. I tend to picture them with darker hair :D

message 20: by Danielle (last edited Mar 05, 2016 08:22PM) (new) - added it

Hahaha, I had to get a tutorial on how to post a photo on Goodreads!

ANYWAY! I swore I'd never reveal this information, but when I was writing Stolen Songbird, I had THIS image in my head for Tristan. It's Henry Cavill a zillion years ago in The Count of Monte Cristo :)

description

Melissa (thereaderandthechef) (melissarobles) Danielle wrote: "Hahaha, I had to get a tutorial on how to post a photo on Goodreads!

ANYWAY! I swore I'd never reveal this information, but when I was writing Stolen Songbird, I had THIS image in my head for Tris..."

LOVE HIM. He def makes an awesome Tristan. ♥♥♥♥

message 22: by Danielle (new) - added it

Nicole wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "1. I always struggle with movie adaptations because they can rarely be very loyal to the complexity of the books. I tend to get frustrated when they change the plot,..."

Hi Nicole,
I think that's one of the MANY things that make books better than film - the reader can imagine characters to suit her preference. In the case of Tristan, you know he's tall and lean, with black hair, silver eyes, chiselled features, and pale skin. But that doesn't REALLY tell you what he looks like. You can make him the man of your dreams, whereas in film, you either find the actor attractive or you don't.

message 23: by Danielle (new) - added it

Nicole wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "1. I always struggle with movie adaptations because they can rarely be very loyal to the complexity of the books. I tend to get frustrated when they change the plot,..."

MANY TEARS!

message 24: by Danielle (new) - added it

Shreya wrote: "First off, I'm so glad I joined in on this action! The Malediction Trilogy is my favorite to date, and nothing will ever change that <3

So here we go:

1. I'll be honest when I say that I an yet t..."

Hi Shreya!
Thanks so much for joining the read-along!! :D

I am also enjoying the Outlander adaptation. I did read the books when they first came out, so I'm not sure if I'd notice if they changed anything or not. But either way, it's a fantastic show. I'm also looking forward to an ACOTAR movie... especially seeing who they cast as Rhysand :D

You bring up an interesting point about Tristan and Cecile's many misunderstandings and insecurities... Fiction sometimes seems glorify relationships with a lot of drama, which isn't really what one looks for in real life. But a from the standpoint of writing an exciting novel, the relationship HAS to have some form of conflict in order to make it interesting, otherwise it's a pretty boring read. I went to a seminar once on writing romance, and the speaker talked about how the love interest plays the role of the antagonist (or one of them) - even if they aren't bad/evil - because they are what creates the conflict for the protagonist, which I thought was an interesting concept.

message 25: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe (zoelavander) | 5 comments 1. Well, I don't mind it if they change the plot. However, it comes a point where they need to realize that we aren't stupid and they need to stick with the plot SOMEWHAT. Some examples of shows that I have quit watching because they literally made me cringe, roll my eyes, and think "WHAT HAPPENED?!": The Shannara Chronicles & Shadowhunters.

2. They probably thought that because Trolls are supposed to be "ugly" and whatnot and Cecile was forced to be imprisoned and marry one, I guess. I never saw it as that though, and it kind of irritates me that people think that it is somewhat of an adaption to "Beauty and the Beast" because it really isn't and it's more than that. If anything, it's original.

3. INTERESTING. I loved that you roped Cecile into the plot and I love that we actually got to see some politics. There are so many books out there where the politics of the royal family doesn't come up AT ALL. It's so unrealistic and you blended the politics and the romance beautifully together to make it that much more interesting.

4. I'm gonna be honest, I'm as dense as a rock. Let's leave it at that LOL.

5. I'm not surprised because, really, as Cecile began to see Tristan as who he was, it hurts her that he would actually go behind her back and have an affair. It's not like she fell for manipulation more so than her have her suspicions "confirmed" from an outside source. That doesn't make her any less strong for it. And about Cecile taking the opportunity to escape... I thought it was brilliant. Like, COME ON, this is what she has been wanting from the start -- what she has WORKED FOR since she got there. I would have been more irked if she HADN'T tried to escape. It was great!

6. FOR SOME REASON THAT ELUDES ME, I keep imagining Tristan being green and it makes me laugh my butt off every time.

Ellie M (byelliem) | 28 comments I love The 100! Except recently as Bellamy’s character gets shoved back to Season 1 and he lost all his character growth. Blah!
Beauty and the Beast never occurred to me! Probably because Tristan is so hot :P hehee But now that I think of it, I guess there are parallels of beauty/Cecile being trapped somewhere with this guy?
I think the poor treatment of half-bloods is a really important and interesting thread!
When Cecile learns about Anushka, I had a small inkling that she had to be someone we knew, but I wasn’t sure how Cecile was connected for sure until early in book two.
I totally agree with Melissa on what Tristan looks like! I was going to link to the SAME picture! <3

message 27: by Danielle (new) - added it

Zoe wrote: "1. Well, I don't mind it if they change the plot. However, it comes a point where they need to realize that we aren't stupid and they need to stick with the plot SOMEWHAT. Some examples of shows th..."

GREEN?!! HAHAHA!
Good answer for #5! Having one's suspicions confirmed by a troll who can't lie made it pretty hard for Cecile not to react the way she did. The very interesting thing about that scene (for me, anyway) is that Angoulême never actually outright says that Tristan and Anais are lovers, because he knows they aren't. He knows it's a ploy, and he's trying to get Tristan to admit as much by manipulating Cecile. Be wary of anything phrased as a question and of words with multiple meanings. He is tricksy, that Duke.

message 28: by Danielle (new) - added it

Ellie wrote: "I love The 100! Except recently as Bellamy’s character gets shoved back to Season 1 and he lost all his character growth. Blah!
Beauty and the Beast never occurred to me! Probably because Tristan i..."

Ughhh! The 100! I haven't seen the last episode, but I saw a spoiler on Twitter and I WAS SO MAD! Both for what happens, and because SPOILER!

You and Melissa will have to fight over the cute model :D

message 29: by Pili (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pili (piwi) | 34 comments 1._ I do get rather annoyed when adaptations change the plot, even more when it seems to be done for no good reason at all, or when they change character's ARCs... Part of the reason why I'm still not up to date with GoT...

4._ I didn't suspect much the first time I read it but now on this re-read I totally starting suspecting much! Since I haven't read Hidden Huntress yet I don't know if I'm right or not!!

message 30: by Danielle (new) - added it

Pili wrote: "1._ I do get rather annoyed when adaptations change the plot, even more when it seems to be done for no good reason at all, or when they change character's ARCs... Part of the reason why I'm still ..."

Hi Pili!
Game of Thrones lost me a bit last season... I'll probably watch this season to see if it improves, but if it sticks with the trend of extreme violence towards women and children, I'm done. I don't like to watch that sort of thing.

And a good thing we're doing a Hidden Huntress read-along next, right!?!

message 31: by Pili (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pili (piwi) | 34 comments Danielle wrote: "Pili wrote: "1._ I do get rather annoyed when adaptations change the plot, even more when it seems to be done for no good reason at all, or when they change character's ARCs... Part of the reason w..."

Absolutely Danielle! I'm so excited to read Hidden Huntress next!!

message 32: by Melissa (last edited Mar 08, 2016 06:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa (thereaderandthechef) (melissarobles) Danielle wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I love The 100! Except recently as Bellamy’s character gets shoved back to Season 1 and he lost all his character growth. Blah!
Beauty and the Beast never occurred to me! Probably bec..."

Omg Ellie! Let's kidnap him & clone him!!!!! :D

Kendra (bluey689) | 12 comments 1.) I prefer when the film is almost exactly like the book, because otherwise, it kind of feels like the film is spreading lies about the original story. And even though that's not the intention, I do not have a good tolerance for that.

2.) Well, in Beauty and the Beast, the main character is "captured" for the purpose of breaking a curse on her captor (which she doesn't know about). While she's not exactly held against her will, she's only staying with the beast to fulfill her end of a bargain. In Stolen Songbird, Cecile actually gets kidnapped, and she's informed of her purpose. She's also trapped in a large kingdom. Those facts are pretty much the only differences between the two stories. And, the curses are both placed by females with magic. I think the key event that makes people connect with Beauty and the Beast is the girl getting kidnapped, then falling in love with her captor to break a curse.

Erika (The Nocturnal Fey) (thenocturnalfey) | 25 comments 1. I'd enjoyed Catching Fire out of all the movies from The Hunger Games (I haven't seen the last one tho). And all LOTR and The Hobbit movie adaptations are my all time favorites. Before, I get upset but I learned that it's not a bad thing after all. Like on The Maze Runner for example, the book has many flaws, but the changes in the movie worked a lot better than I'd expected.

2. I never really thought of Beauty and The Beast while reading Stolen Songbird. I think it's because most of the Trolls are deformed, and they somewhat stick to the general image of Trolls as ugly creatures. I don't know really. lol

3. Interesting! I liked how the political part in Stolen Songbird was a big part of the story. For me, it's the most intriguing and interesting in Stolen Songbird, aside from Tristan. lol

4. I knew that there was something going on with Cecile's mother. At first, I only suspected Genevieve as someone who personally knows Anushka, or as someone who has a connection with her. But I was honestly surprised at the big reveal. lol

5. On this part, I know that Cecile's feelings for Tristan is growing stronger, so I believe that it's jealousy. Also, knowing how strong Tristan's bond with Anais is, I think Cecile is still insecure about Tristan's feelings. Emotion is not easy to deal with. lol

6. This is the hardest question so far. Haha! I'll just leave these photos here. ;)

message 35: by Mi-Mi (new)

Mi-Mi (renascale) | 14 comments I don't get upset if they change the plot unless it's really dramatic and unecessary. I get that sometimes they have to change some things so it flows better, and I'm okay with that. I do like it most when they stick to the book as closely as possible though. I'm really excited for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them!

Nicole (nicole_t) | 43 comments Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "1. I always struggle with movie adaptations because they can rarely be very loyal to the complexity of the books. I tend to get frustrated when they c..."

TT-TT Oh my. I'll try to prepare myself emotionally (not gonna happen).

Nicole (nicole_t) | 43 comments Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "1. I always struggle with movie adaptations because they can rarely be very loyal to the complexity of the books. I tend to get frustrated when they c..."

That's what happened in Twilight for me: Edward is described as a super attractive guy, but I don't like the actor they chose :S That completely screwed up the movies for me haha. But I know you can't please everyone!

Nicole (nicole_t) | 43 comments Erika (The Nocturnal Fey) wrote: "1. I'd enjoyed Catching Fire out of all the movies from The Hunger Games (I haven't seen the last one tho). And all LOTR and The Hobbit movie adaptations are my all time favorites. Before, I get up..."

I like your casting choice! :D

message 39: by Danielle (new) - added it

Lillian wrote: "1.) I prefer when the film is almost exactly like the book, because otherwise, it kind of feels like the film is spreading lies about the original story. And even though that's not the intention, I..."

Hi Lillian
I think you're right. There are a few of the same elements in both stories, and because adaptations are popular right now, lots of people just made the assumption that's what it was :)

message 40: by Danielle (new) - added it

Erika (The Nocturnal Fey) wrote: "1. I'd enjoyed Catching Fire out of all the movies from The Hunger Games (I haven't seen the last one tho). And all LOTR and The Hobbit movie adaptations are my all time favorites. Before, I get up..."

Hi Erika!

*drools* Those are some NICE photos!!!

I also preferred the Maze Runner movie to the book! And as much as I love the LoTR novels, the movies did a good job cutting out some of the boring stuff. Because let's be honest, there are some dull chapters in LoTR. :D

I'm glad you liked the political plot lines in Stolen Songbird. Lots of those elements find their resolution in Warrior Witch, as you will soon discover :)

message 41: by Danielle (new) - added it

Nicole wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "1. I always struggle with movie adaptations because they can rarely be very loyal to the complexity of the books. I tend to get frust..."

Even during copyedits and proofreading there were parts that made me cry. *fixes typo, sheds tear*

message 42: by Danielle (new) - added it

Nicole wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "1. I always struggle with movie adaptations because they can rarely be very loyal to the complexity of the books. I tend to get frust..."

SAME! Plus they didn't put white makeup on his ears, so all I could focus on was how pink his ears were compared to the rest of him.

message 43: by Danielle (new) - added it

I know some of you have been approved by NetGalley for Warrior Witch eARCS. I'm going to open another thread in the group for anyone who has questions or comments about the book, so that way others don't have to worry about seeing spoilers.

message 44: by ShinHyunRin (last edited Mar 10, 2016 06:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShinHyunRin 신현린 | 14 comments 1. I am looking forward for the season 6 of Game of Thrones! Wow, it's one of the best book to TV show adaptation. The main plot of the story is stay true to the book for the first two or three seasons and the season after, even there is plot or scene difference, I think it still quite acceptable.
(Yes, there is some nudity and extreme violence content, not that I happily add. The reason I stay with it because Bran Stark will be back---I was so suffering in the 5th, so I hope he'll relieve all my pain, my disgust... when I will watch every episodes)
So as long as the writer that adaptating from the book understand how to bring the main plot of the book into movies/tv shows, I think it's okay to change.
Oh, and good casting! I really like Shadowhunters to the tv show, and, sadly, I don't really satisfied with the actor of Jace and Clary ... kinda ironic, because I really like Dominic Sherwood. But I still have my finger crossed 'till this season finished!

2. Maybe it because of the blurb? Human girl and a troll. For some people that only read a very first chapter of Stolen Songbird, maybe they thought it would tell about a girl that was kidnapped by a rich nasty creature (and wasn't that Cecile thought when Luc mention he was going to sold her to the trolls?) and force to marry him. But honestly, I am not thinking slightly about Beauty and The Beast when I am reading, because IMO Tristan is much better than the Beast Prince (even I forgotten his real name! Damn...). Also, Tristan is not talking to the talking pot, so yeah, big difference.

3. For a book that goes with monarch into the story, I think it's a very reasonable reason. Like if I imagine it in her shoes, saw so many half bloods suffering from the difference in Trollus, of course it would break anyone and would wish to do something to make it better, not worse. Boring? Not so much, because the twins always be there to brightening the situation.

4. Suspicious, yes. Since the beginning, I am starting to suspect that Anushka would be someone around Cecile, someone related by blood woth her (as far as I know, magic inherited, so where would Cecile got her magic except from someone in her family?) and since Stolen Songbird does not involve her mother so much, I already wonder if it's true that her mother is Anushka. Even it's only slightly correct, because Cecile mother already died long ago.

5. Yes, because she's still a 17 year old girl. She still got her mood swing and Tristan was not made it even better. Also, it is her first time to get into aristocrats manipulation, even she's so strong and tough, but everything felt new in Trollus for her, so even that her escape was so not mature, but from her age and her state, it's acceptable.

6. Uhhh, it's very complicated... I am so easily fall for actors for their great acting, my first choice is Issac Hempstead-Wright, since his age is around Tristan age. (If he put aside those fur jacket, and wearing prince clothes, I think he would look prettily---yep, I am falling to pretty boys ;))
description

Lately, I also have Song Joong Ki in my head when I imagined Tristan, weirdly, because he is waaay older than Tristan (maybe it because of his latest drama really got into my head)... but his baby face and amazing act would put him into an amazing troll prince. In my head XD (I know my brain was so messed up)
description

BellaKara | 29 comments 1. Mortal Instruments: City of Bones and the subsequent TV series Shadowhunters is one that I both waited for and really enjoyed. I think the movie was under estimated, yes there were some differences but they made plot more playable and exiting. I gues it depends on whether the changes are good or bad. Like the TV show Shadowhunters on freeform. I was very disapointed when they broke off from the plot in the book and changed to many things from the series. THe basics are there but the substance is gone. Still I give them the benefit of the doubt first to see how these changes evolve before making up my mind So far the changes have been nice, some even exiting but I wish they had stuc truer to the plot since these changes have severely altered the plots of the other books too come. Still fun though.

2. Troll prince under a magic spell meets girl next door whose the only one who can set him free, treats her badly then they become friends and then fall in love, fight bad guys intend on breaking them up then he let's her go to make her happy only for her to return to him of her own free will then problems arrise..... Not a far leap at all, it's part of what I love about the series. Beauty and the Beast is my altime favorite story so I love when stories parallel it. Remember te lyrics "Tale as old as time/True as it can be/Barely even friends/Then somebody bends/Unexpectedly/Just a little change/Small, to say the least/Both a little scared/Neither one prepared/Beauty and the beast..." That song played in my head as I read the story the first time.

3. I loved it. It's so interesting. It shows how one person can make a difference for those around them and also how people treat people. It's sad, but the comparisons to real life are a great lesson for young readers about the world, what is wrong with it and how they can stand up to injustice.

4. YES!!!! I had been betting money on Anushka being her ancestor. The blood seal was a dead give away since I took genetics in college amnd I know blood magic means that blood is the conduit and reservoir of power so it made sense to me. What shocked me is on the next book, Anushka's true identity!!! That one I only saw coming as I was reading the book.

5. Simple because she's in love with him and she might have already harbored some suspicions about them which the duke semmed to confirm. Not sure I guess it depended on the situation and how it played out. NO, she was heart broken and not thinking straight. She thought the man she had grown to love against all odds had betrayed her in the worst possible way so her reaction was predictable under her confusion and hurt. BUt I don't think she would have actually left if she was able to get to the exit.

6. Sexy as hell is what he is. I imagin him with a body like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Sx2Yfn7ibKk...
Heck all of it but with dark hair

Erika (The Nocturnal Fey) (thenocturnalfey) | 25 comments ShinHyunRin wrote: "1. I am looking forward for the season 6 of Game of Thrones! Wow, it's one of the best book to TV show adaptation. The main plot of the story is stay true to the book for the first two or three sea..."

I love how you included Song Joong Ki because I'm currently crazy over him while watching Descendants of The Sun. Aaaaah! *faints*

Erika (The Nocturnal Fey) (thenocturnalfey) | 25 comments Danielle wrote: "Erika (The Nocturnal Fey) wrote: "1. I'd enjoyed Catching Fire out of all the movies from The Hunger Games (I haven't seen the last one tho). And all LOTR and The Hobbit movie adaptations are my al..."

Yeah. I agree with the LOTR part. lol

And I'm currently reading WW soooo...yeah *grins* I don't want to end the trilogy, really, but I'm also excited to know the ending. Uuuugh!

Erika (The Nocturnal Fey) (thenocturnalfey) | 25 comments Nicole wrote: "Erika (The Nocturnal Fey) wrote: "1. I'd enjoyed Catching Fire out of all the movies from The Hunger Games (I haven't seen the last one tho). And all LOTR and The Hobbit movie adaptations are my al..."

Thank you! I'm thinking of posting a full dream cast of the main characters on my blog soon. :D

Rachmi  | 13 comments 1. Most of films that adapted/based on books didn’t live my expectation. Although I enjoyed them, I often found things I didn’t quite satisfy. I really enjoyed The Lord of The Rings trilogy films, though. I think they are quite good adaptations. This year, I’m really looking forward for adaptation of A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness which will be released on October. I love A Monster Calls and am curious how it will be in the motion picture. I also cannot wait for Fantastic Beast Part 1 and Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. I’m quite sure I love Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children adaptation, as it’s by Tim Burton. He hasn’t disappoint me so far :D

I’m okay with changes the plot and all, as long as it still connects with and play well with the story.

2. I don’t see resemble of Beauty and the Beast with Stolen Songbird. It never occur me, to be honest. If you didn’t ask us about it, I would never think about it, at all.

3. I found it quite interesting. I like when books provide some other things, other than romance or fantasy, for example. In Stolen Songbird I like that there are more politics in it; not only because I love reading about politics, but also it makes the story more interesting.

4. I surely have suspicions of the witch’s identity. And knowing what happened in Hidden Huntress I’m happy that my guess was right. I like that you can still make me wondering about her in Stolen Songbird, despite I have my own theory and all.

5. I think it’s because Cecile see the Duke as her way out, at first. I mean he said that he will free her from Trollus if she’s in his side, though at the same time she’s aware that he won’t do it and it’s just a trick for him to make her to be in his side. I guess it makes sense, knowing that she’s human being in a strange place with stranger creatures that she doesn’t know at all. I might do the same thing with her, if I’m in her position. Yes, I was quite surprised when she took the chance to escape, I thought since she finally realizes that she’s falling in love with Tristan and how she’s trying to help the half-bloods, she will stay and forget the escape.

6. I don’t know why but I think Douglas Booth is perfect as Tristan. He’s always in my mind when I read Stolen Songbird for the first time :D I think he’s a beautiful man yet he can be manipulative too. Here's his picture from Pride and Prejudice and Zombie film and And Then There Were None, both are adaptation from the books ;)

message 50: by ShinHyunRin (last edited Mar 10, 2016 03:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShinHyunRin 신현린 | 14 comments Erika (The Nocturnal Fey) wrote: I love how you included Song Joong Ki because I'm currently crazy over him while watching Descendants of The Sun. Aaaaah! *faints*

OMG you watching it too? Wooow, can't imagine would find another Descendants of the Sun viewers in Goodreads, especially this thread XD

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.