Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's April

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2943 comments The Two Deaths of Daniel Hayes: Marcus Sakey
Sometimes a story teller reaches too far, and I fear this happened here. For one, I do not like selective amnesia as a device in a mystery, it promotes lazy writing. Secondly, too many compounded secrets, and some are bound to slip through the cracks, and finally, the right people had to be just stupid enough. (B-)

Strip: Thomas Perry
A case of a great book sale, and a cover that I bought the book for. Still, this was a surprisingly good tale of cops and robbers, all bad to one degree or another, and all trying to get the best of somebody else, or kill them. (B+)

Head Case: Jay Bononsinga
Did I mention I do not like amnesia as the device in a mystery? And yet I read this after the Sakey. This novel adds a police force so stupid that they probably starved when they could not find the donut shop. Come on. I can can allow for quite a bit of setting aside of logic and belief (I believe “suspend disbelief” was the term I was given in high school english) , but the author has to give me something to work with. (B-)

Missing You: Harlan Coben
A thriller, and in some ways a departure from past works, other than mob bosses, the half told tales and clues not imparted till long after you know they exist. (B)

Fireproof: Alex Kava
A more conventional book than the last few, Maggie O’Dell chases a firebug and a murderer as the crimes spiral out of control. (B)

The Black Eyed Blond: Benjamin Black
OK, so he is not exactly Raymond Chandler, but he did a fair job of using a hardboiled style, and gave you a feel of a story set somewhere between 1920 and 1940. The story itself was solid enough, but all put together, it is not enough to make me a convert.(B)

Collateral Damage: Dale Brown
Techno thriller with high tech weapons and even bigger egos. (B)

The Mercy Rule: John Lescroat
Legal thriller, picks up steam as it goes along, and you are never really sure till the end if there even was a murder, let alone who might have done it. (B)

Devil Bones: Kathy Reichs
Tempe Brennon takes on a satanic cult, wiccans, and some just plain bad people. (B)

The Shimmer: David Morrell
From the author who gave us Rambo, First Blood.
Moodus has its noises, Marfa (TX) has its lights. Morrell gives us the fictional town of Rostov Texas, which has lights, and has a secret government project related to the lights. Things do not go well. (B)

Ransom River: Meg Gardiner
Another mystery written by an author who is not even half as clever as she thinks she is. (B)

Raven Strike: Dale Brown/ Jim DeFelice
Techno thriller. The CIA has a bad new weapon. They lose it. Terrorists find it. Oh my. (B)

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments I keep meaning to try Marcus Sakey. Our old friend, Cheryl, really liked his books as well as being a friend of his.

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Head Case sounds like one that might make the Worst of the Year list from your description.

message 4: by Kaya (new)

Kaya Is Missing You worth reading? I'm pondering whether or not I should read it. I've read his Stay Close and I kinda liked it.

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2943 comments Head Case will not make any of my "top" lists this year. I might have been a bit kinder if I had not encountered so many books that were using amnesia as a device. Alzheimer's is more believable from my experience.
Missing You? If you are a die hard Coben fan, read this. I passed this book to my sister, and her friends are saying "not his best, not his worst, it is just entertainment anyway"
I did warn my sister. If she likes it, every email she gets from me will tell her that I have something very important to tell her, but not until the next mail.
I will only actually tell her what it is 50% of the time.

message 6: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Barry, you crack me up, and I am grateful you are not my brother, lol!

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Barry: you crack me up too! I love your Missing You description, it is pretty apt. I am very glad I read it with the group, but probably wouldn't have gotten to it otherwise. I have had it on my mind the past few days as more comments are posted, it was thought provoking for not only the story, but for Harlan's motivations and style of storytelling.
I've got to get back to the Kathy Reichs books someday.
I'm starting The Black-Eyed Blonde in a couple of days --thanks for getting the group thread comments started!
LizH wrote: "Barry, you crack me up, and I am grateful you are not my brother, lol!"

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments I am still trying to get interested in MISSING YOU. Have read 2 chapters and just am not compelled to pick it back up. Maybe I can get into it this weekend. Since the Avs are done in the playoffs I'm not interested in hockey.

message 9: by Vanderlleef (new)

Vanderlleef | 25 comments Melodie wrote: "I am still trying to get interested in MISSING YOU. Have read 2 chapters and just am not compelled to pick it back up. Maybe I can get into it this weekend. Since the Avs are done in the playoff..."

I have a hard time with Harlan Coben. I've read a few that I couldn't put down, then they started all feeling like I was reading the same book. Now I don't even remember which ones I've read (and I can't tell when I start reading if I've already read it).

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3480 comments I'm still trying to get back to reading Missing you.
so many arcs that I have to read/review

message 11: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments Vanderlleef wrote: "Melodie wrote: "I am still trying to get interested in MISSING YOU. Have read 2 chapters and just am not compelled to pick it back up. Maybe I can get into it this weekend. Since the Avs are don..."

I love Harlan's Myron Bolitar books, but mostly his standalones leave me cold. They're way too formulaic for the most part, leaving you feeling like you've already read it, like you said.

message 12: by Vanderlleef (new)

Vanderlleef | 25 comments Melodie wrote: "Vanderlleef wrote: "Melodie wrote: "I am still trying to get interested in MISSING YOU. Have read 2 chapters and just am not compelled to pick it back up. Maybe I can get into it this weekend. S..."

I haven't read any of the Myron Bolitar books--will have to try them.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Kaya: If you liked Stay Close, then you'll probably like Missing You. It is a pretty fast reading book, maybe try it from your library just in case you don't care for it.
Kaya wrote: "Is Missing You worth reading? I'm pondering whether or not I should read it. I've read his Stay Close and I kinda liked it."

Vanderlleef: I can recommend the Myron Bolitar books, I haven't read all of them, and have read out of order, but always have enjoyed them. The Coben stand-alones leave me a bit cold.
Vanderlleef wrote: "I haven't read any of the Myron Bolitar books--will have to try them. "

message 14: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Still on the waiting list at the library for Missing You.
Barry, you have a good list for this month.

message 15: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1113 comments Good month, Barry. I think Coben's Myron books are his best work

message 16: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments LizH wrote: "Barry, you crack me up, and I am grateful you are not my brother, lol!"

LizH, you said a mouthful there!!!!!

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Barry, a spoiler question about Maggie O'Dell: (view spoiler) I read the first in the series but after reading the blurb on the second one decided not to continue as I didn't want to read about her being run through the ringer when she met up with her nemesis, who sounds nasty from her descriptions about the earlier case. I might if the answer to my question is yes.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Stay Close (other topics)
Missing You (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Harlan Coben (other topics)