Great African Reads discussion

Tour d'Afrique: Africa A-Z > South as the Crow Flies to Swaziland

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Marieke | 2838 comments Mod
Next stop: Swaziland! We are going to Swaziland in May and June. We need books to get us there...what recommendations do you have?

message 2: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 180 comments Mod
Gosh. Most of the books I can turn up via search look to be of questionable quality or impossible to find (or both)...or very academic, or outdated (again: or both). Marieke, you may want to disqualify some of these on those grounds!

The Uniform of Colour
The Swazi
Bite of Hunger
Sikukhanya Kwemaswati-We Are the Light of Swaziland
Weeding the Flowerbeds
When Hoopoes go to Heaven
Sangoma

message 3: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Liralen wrote: "Gosh. Most of the books I can turn up via search look to be of questionable quality or impossible to find (or both)...or very academic, or outdated (again: or both). Marieke, you may want to disqua..."

ha! thanks for the heads up. I do always double-check suggestions and this is such a small country i figured we might be a little challenged in finding a good selection. I will also consult the reference book i have at home and see what it has for Swaziland. Don't forget that the author does not have to be from Swaziland!

message 4: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

the last two look quite promising!

message 5: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosacastel) The Kingdom of Roses & Thorns by Debra Liebenow Daly

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 124 comments Bird of Heaven by Peter Dunseith

message 7: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 402 comments When Hoopoes go to Heaven has been on my shelf for quite a while. I'd love to read it.

message 8: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

message 9: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

And here is the link to the poll:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 10: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

When Hoopoes Go to Heaven will be our group read in May and June!

message 11: by Blue (new)

Blue (topazamber) Hope to get a copy.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 124 comments Looking forward to it! It looks like my library has this as an ebook. I never read Baking Cakes in Kigali; do you think they are related enough that we should read that first?

message 13: by Liralen (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "I never read Baking Cakes in Kigali; do you think they are related enough that we should read that first?"

I've read Baking Cakes in Kigali (though not yet When Hoopoes Go to Heaven), and as far as I can tell they should stand as individual stories -- Baking Cakes didn't have anything major in terms of plot or character development that I'd expect to cary through. (But I could be wrong! I've just requested Hoopoes from ILL, so I guess I'll find out soon.)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 124 comments Liralen wrote: "Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "I never read Baking Cakes in Kigali; do you think they are related enough that we should read that first?"

I've read Baking Cakes in Kigali (though not ..."

Thanks,... Just from the descriptions they don't seem to have the main character so you're probably right!

message 15: by Liralen (new)

As far as I can tell, the main character from Baking Cakes is present in Hoopoes, but Hoopoes is told from the perspective of her son.