Musicians And Music Lovers discussion

Fiction about MUSIC

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karin (new)

Karin Do any of you read fictional books in which music is central to the story? I'm now reading Twelve Bar Blues and would love to discuss it with people that know music if they like to read it.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

"Sound of Music" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" is some of them.

message 3: by Karin (last edited Mar 03, 2016 07:58PM) (new)

Karin PinkLoki(Shine) RULER OF: CrimsonPeak, Asgard, Jotunheim, Midgard, AvengersTower wrote: ""Sound of Music" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" is some of them."

yes, The Sound of Music is based the von Trapp family singers so is about music, but the book it's very loosely based on is nonfiction (I've read the book plus saw the movie, of course) and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was made into a musical, but the book isn't about music. In fact, the book is very different from the movie.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I understand.

fourtriplezed  (4triplezed) I've read The Commitments. It was one of those rare occasions where I thought the film outshone the book.

fourtriplezed  (4triplezed) And Hi Fidelity. OK book at best. Never seen the film.

I probably read a few more in my youth but am unable to recall them at this point in time.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul E. Morph The only two I've read, off the top of my head, are An Equal Music by Vikram Seth, which I enjoyed quite a bit, and Violin by Anne Rice, which I don't remember much about.

message 8: by Karin (new)

Karin How about Bel Canto ? Or Marrying Mozart? The latter one was written by an opera singer.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna | 13 comments I just finished The Jazz Palace by Mary Morris

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna | 13 comments Cry to Heaven by Anne Rice

I remember reading this wide-eyed and in complete disbelief ...

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul E. Morph I love Anne Rice but Cry To Heaven is one of hers I haven't read yet. I need to read some more Anne Rice soon... it's been years.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark Darrah | 7 comments It's really over the top and politically incorrect, but I like James M. Cain's Serenade. It's about an opera singer who loses his voice, gains it again, and resulting tragedy. It's a typical hard boiled Cain novel.

message 13: by Vicki, Author (new)

Vicki (vickigoodwin) | 1438 comments Mod
Sounds good!

message 14: by Duncan (new)

Duncan Smith (duncansmith) | 2 comments Karin wrote: "Do any of you read fictional books in which music is central to the story? I'm now reading Twelve Bar Blues and would love to discuss it with people that know music if they like to re..."

Karin, I've read 'Twelve Bar Blues', and a few other books about music.

Also, I'm a new member of this group and just posted in the 'Welcome' folder about the giveaway for my book, which is largely about a rock band and the world of music. The plot includes stuff about band politics & rivalry, life on the road, music piracy, and lots of other themes. Also has soundtrack album.

US giveaway
https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

Australia giveaway
https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

message 15: by Vicki, Author (new)

Vicki (vickigoodwin) | 1438 comments Mod
I look forward to reading your book! Welcome to the group and thank you for sharing that with us! Your book sounds fascinating!
Going to enter the giveaway now! :)

Duncan wrote: "Karin wrote: "Do any of you read fictional books in which music is central to the story? I'm now reading Twelve Bar Blues and would love to discuss it with people that know music if t..."

message 16: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto is the only book I know of that has a soundtrack and a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlumj...

message 17: by Vit (new)

Vit Babenco The Hatred of Music by Pascal Quignard is a great and smart book.

message 18: by Buck (last edited Dec 19, 2016 05:52PM) (new)

Buck (spectru) I have just heard the audio book of Red Rising. There is a song that plays an important role in the story. The narrator sings it, and as usual when a narrator sings an author's song, it was pretty bad, but it did have a discernible melody. At the end of the book, the song is played with music and a woman's voice singing the lyrics. It's something of a dirge, but still much better that when the narrator sings it. It's an actual song.

message 19: by Vikarti (new)

Vikarti (vikarti_anatra) | 1 comments Not sure how much much MUST be central to story but...I remember Mercedes Lackey's Heralds of Valdemar series in main heroes also trained in music but mostly use songs which are part of setting. Those songs are also released separatly - http://www.mercedeslackey.com/music.html (I have all those CDs in my iTunes collection, have to rip them myself).

Harper's hall subseries of P.E.R.N. series by Ann Mccafrrey also comes to mind. Menolly one of first 'real' harpers. Except that her familiy thought it's just waste of time. 2 albums with songs from this subseries are on iTunes.

message 20: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks This MG book is great, especially if you can suspend your disbelief at the fact that there might be language issues in reality,

Hannah Waters And The Daughter Of Johann Sebastian Bach

message 21: by Serge (new)

Serge Timmers | 15 comments I actually just finished writing a fiction book about music. My debut novel "Cecilia's World" is the "Sophie's World" of alternative music. :-)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 22: by Neil (new)

Neil McFarlane (neilroymcfarlane) | 2 comments I wrote a story about a monkey who likes to boogie, then I wrote a song about the monkey, then I drew some pictures to go with the song ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H89R4NQ?...

Marks out of ten, please : )

message 23: by Ren (new)

message 24: by Reader (new)

message 25: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Norton | 2 comments Daisy Jones and The Six was a fun read.