Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

absolutely EVERYTHING is a fallacy.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rod (last edited Mar 03, 2016 09:50AM) (new)

Rod Horncastle Quote:

Fallacies are fake or deceptive arguments, arguments that prove nothing. Fallacies often seem superficially sound, and they far too often retain immense persuasive power even after being clearly exposed as false. Fallacies are not always deliberate, but a good scholar’s purpose is always to identify and unmask fallacies in arguments. Note that many of these definitions overlap, but the goal here is to identify contemporary and classic fallacies as they are used in today's discourse.

A Priori Argument: Also, Rationalization; Proof Texting.

Actions have Consequences:

Ad Hominem Argument: Also, "Personal attack,"

Appeal to Closure:

Appeal to Heaven:

Argument from Consequences

Argument from Ignorance:

Argument from Inertia (also “Stay the Course”).

Argument from Motives (also Questioning Motives).

Argumentum ad Baculam ("Argument from the Club."

Argumentum ex Silentio (Argument from Silence).

Availability Bias (Also, Attention Bias, Anchoring Bias):

Bandwagon (also, Argument from Common Sense, Argumentum ad Populum):

Blood is Thicker than Water (also Favoritism, Compadrismo

Brainwashing (also, "Propaganda"):
Circular Reasoning

The Complex Question:

Confirmation Bias:

Default Bias:

Defensiveness (Also, Choice-support Bias):
Diminished Responsibility:

Disciplinary Blinders:

E" for Effort. (Also Noble Effort) The common contemporary fallacy that something must be right, true, valuable,

Either/Or Reasoning: (also False Dilemma, False Dichotomy, Black/White Fallacy, Binary Logic).

Equivocation: The fallacy of deliberately failing to define one's terms,

Esoteric Knowledge (Esoteric Wisdom, Inner Truth):

Essentializing:

message 2: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I was gonna post all 88 fallacies - they are hilarious.

Is it possible to say SOMETHING that is not a fallacy - according to everyone? I'm pretty sure basically every single truth claim can easily be seen as a fallacy by somebody in some scenario.

message 3: by Rod (last edited Mar 03, 2016 09:52AM) (new)

Rod Horncastle I watched a video yesterday of a guy who proved that circular reasoning is ITSELF circular reasoning. Fun stuff.

I feel sorry for todays lawyers.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 1864 comments Isn't that the challenge though, Rod. In ever fallacy there is some gold nugget of truth that the perceptive can extract. What would be the intellectual challenge if the AT (Absolute Truth, itself a fallacy) were handed to you on a silver platter?

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter Kazmaier (peterkazmaier) | 191 comments One of the things that I have had to recognize with regard to fallacies: the fact that someone makes a fallacious argument, does not automatically mean their conclusion is false. It only means their supporting argument is insufficient and does not prove the conclusion they are advocating.

It's a bit like making arithmetic mistakes but still getting the right answer for my sums (not a reliable way to make a living as a bookkeeper).

As a geometric example, I could argue that the Pythagorean Theorem is true because only stupid people do not believe it (ad hominem) or because mathematics Professors do believe it (appeal to authority). However, a geometric proof is the real reason for believing the Pythagorean Theorem. The other arguments are fallacies that lead to the correct conclusion.