Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Workshop No New Posts > Please help with cover feedback

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula Wynne (paula-wynne) | 3 comments Hello Everyone
I am asking people on my mailing list and fans to please help me with feedback for my book cover. So far the results are very close and show two covers are standing out the most for a historical conspiracy thriller.

If you have a moment I would really appreciate some feedback and comments on what you think: http://paulagracewynne.polldaddy.com/...

You can either give comments in the link or add them via this post.

Thanking you in advance
Paula

message 2: by Sevda (new)

Sevda Khatamian | 8 comments Hi Paula
I like the second and the third image (old book and old book open). I think they fit the plot better. But the reason I am voting for them is because the images are blended with the background. It's not like you have just put a picture in the middle of the page. I actually like the third one the best (old book open) because of its typography. The words are nicely adjusted with the books and you have taken good advantage of the empty spaces. Maybe you just want to bring the image a little bit down so that it wouldn't be so close to the edge.
The fonts also suit each other better in this design and they look fine together (the title and writer). Serif font for the writer's name makes it look more classic.
In the second one, the sans serif font doesn't really match the concept, or the title.

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula Wynne (paula-wynne) | 3 comments Thank you Sevda, your feedback is much appreciated. If you'd like to read a copy when the book is published, please let me know.
regards
Paula

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 241 comments I entered the form. I liked the old books too, but given that this is supposed to be an action thriller, I selected the one with the shadow of the man in the grotto.

message 5: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Hmm I voted for the large books because I loved the cover and the books were jumping at me. I didn't pay attention that it was a thriller.

My second choice was the man in the cave. It seems to 'fit better' with the title, so it was kind of a tie for me.

message 6: by Quoleena (new)

Quoleena Sbrocca (qjsbrocca) The old books and the cave silhouette tied. I should mention that I liked the one with the girl the least. It had the tone of a romance novel for me.

message 7: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I didn't like the one with girl on the cover at all.

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 57 comments I like the silhouette in the cave...gives it that mystery/thriller feel.

message 9: by Dorsey (new)

Dorsey Jr. | 107 comments Old book open would make me want to pick it up Paula.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Doebereiner | 15 comments I liked the one with the old, open books. It drew my focus from the top to bottom rather than pulling center or using lots of negative space to make multiple focal points.

message 11: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 153 comments Either the old opened book or the man in the cave.

message 12: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4270 comments Mod
Comment deleted.

If you would like reviews on a book, please make the request in the Review Request folder.

message 13: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Flynn (cj_flynn) | 2 comments I also liked the two covers with the books, and left a more detailed comment in the link. Good work on the covers!

message 14: by K.C. (last edited Mar 05, 2016 01:39PM) (new)

K.C. Herbel (k_c_herbel) | 118 comments I liked the 2nd cover, "Old Books", but not as much as I liked the 4th, "Silhouette in Cave" (the winner IMHO). Although, if you choose one of those you should consider changing the font for your name to something like what is used at the bottom of the 3rd cover - much nicer. The only way I can see to improve on the 4th cover would be to have the edges of the cave picture fade/bleed into the black and perhaps raise and enlarge the font of the title a bit. Something about the "The" in the title bothers me too - maybe it's too small, and yet it takes a prominent spot atop the title. (Maybe try it scrunched on the side of the title? - not sure why I don't like it where it is. Perhaps it's the color.)

I didn't care for the 5th one with the girl in the cathedral at all. As for the 3rd, I would have like more, if it was cleaner at the top. One of the reasons I would choose the 2nd over the 3rd is that that bit of swamp or woods at the top of the 3rd looks dirty. The first time I looked at it, I thought it was a piece of dirty wallpaper or something. Also with this one, my eyes are drawn to the open pages, but the open pages seem less mysterious to me than the closed books in the 2nd cover, which appear to be hiding in shadow.
(The 1st cover image isn't even in the running.)