Horror Aficionados discussion

Need help deciding

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frank (new)

Frank (ezl_oo) | 3 comments Hi, I have an Audible credit coming up next week and would like some help and suggestions on which one of these great titles I should listen too or if you can think of a must read Horror/Scary book and recommend that? Thanks

The Martian by Andy Weir The Book Thief by Markus Zusak To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee Dracula by Bram Stoker 11/22/63 by Stephen King

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I enjoyed 11/22/63 and have heard great things about The Martian. Of this group those two would be the most appealing to me.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments The Martian was a 5 Star audiobook for me. I definitely recommend it. I listened to 11/22/63 too, but The Martian was better. imho.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The Martian I tried to listen to had a reader whose snarky, laidback voice was a turn off to me. Because there was no energy in his delivery, all the jokes fell flat.

I haven't listened to 11/22/63 but the story is great.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments I also listened to both but The Martian was a 5 star for me.

message 6: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 0 comments The Martian was also a 5 star listen for me. Thought the narrator was fantastic, he really brought the story to life and I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it quite as much if I'd read the print version instead!
I also enjoyed TKAM too, I'd already read the book and the narration by Sissy Spacek went well with the story.

message 7: by Randy (new)

Randy | 103 comments The Martian was 5 stars from me as well.

I am a huge Stephen King fanatic and I wasn't really feeling 11/22

- my suggestion for a must listen that's not on your list is Summer of Night by Dan Simmons

message 8: by Frank (new)

Frank (ezl_oo) | 3 comments Thank you all for your help on deciding...I just recently saw the movie The Martian also and so many of you think that is a great choice, so I think I'm going to give that a listen next.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I think you'll be really happy with that choice. I thought both it and 11/22/63 were brilliant books, but The Martian is the superior audio experience, IMO. The narrator is fantastic.

I listened to 11/22/63, and someday I want to actually read it, because I tend to miss things occasionally in audio, and long audiobooks can start to feel like a grind for me, only having small pockets of listening time. I think I'd really enjoy it more if I read it.

message 10: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments Frank wrote: "Thank you all for your help on deciding...I just recently saw the movie The Martian also and so many of you think that is a great choice, so I think I'm going to give that a listen next."

Good choice.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Bram Stoker's Dracula would be my choice. It's a classic that started the vampire genre.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Slaybaugh (Amanda_Slaybaugh) | 7 comments Melvin wrote: "Bram Stoker's Dracula would be my choice. It's a classic that started the vampire genre."

Great suggestion. Also ran into a copy of "Anno Dracula" at B&N that looked interesting.

message 13: by Lincoln (new)

Lincoln Cole | 19 comments Dracula is a great choice!

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6803 comments Dracula but they are all good titles.

message 15: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments I haven't done much with audiobooks. For Dracula would it matter at all that the format of the book is a lot of written mediums like journals or newspaper articles? I'm just curious.

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 3 comments I've never read any James Herbert. Didn't have The Dark by James Herbert but got a copy of Haunted (David Ash, #1) by James Herbert and The Fog by James Herbert I started reading Haunted.... only 20 pages in and so far so good. Is this a good choice for a first James Herbert read?

message 17: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 777 comments Amanda wrote: "Melvin wrote: "Bram Stoker's Dracula would be my choice. It's a classic that started the vampire genre."

Great suggestion. Also ran into a copy of "Anno Dracula" at B&N that looked interesting."

I read Anno Dracula a few years back, great tale. Excellent ending.

message 18: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments Melanie wrote: "I've never read any James Herbert. Didn't have The Dark by James Herbert but got a copy of Haunted (David Ash, #1) by James Herbert and The Fog by James Herbert I started reading Haunted.... only 20 pages in..."

Haunted is a decent read, Melanie, as is The Fog. Personally, I'd suggest you check out The Rats. :)

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 3 comments David wrote: "Melanie wrote: "I've never read any James Herbert. Didn't have The Dark by James Herbert but got a copy of Haunted (David Ash, #1) by James Herbert and The Fog by James Herbert I started reading Haunted.... ..."

Thanks David, I'm enjoying Haunted, Didn't get any reading in today so hoping to finish it up tomorrow. I will read The Rats next

message 20: by David (last edited May 06, 2016 01:12AM) (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments I doubt you'll be disappointed, Melanie. :)

message 21: by Blight (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) David wrote: "Melanie wrote: "I've never read any James Herbert. Didn't have The Dark by James Herbert but got a copy of Haunted (David Ash, #1) by James Herbert and The Fog by James Herbert I started reading Haunted.... ..."

I agree! The Rats trilogy is amazing. Herbert's Magic Cottage was a bit of a let down though.

message 22: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Dracula is an absolute must and a horror classic so I would definitely go with that. The Martian is popular right now because of the movie, though i've neither seen or read it so I can't honestly recommend it.