Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1)
This topic is about Wool Omnibus
Archives > Wool Omnibus, by Hugh Howey

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Wool Omnibus
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) by Hugh Howey

GR synopsis:
This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

I am reading this for a secondary challenge, a 2012 GR Choice Award Nominee.

I'm about 30% into the book right now. so far it's really good, but kind of confusing. It's confusing in that good way, where an author is holding back a secret, cliff hanger, or plot twist. I'm hooked and engaged with this. It's an interesting take on a dystopian society. Everyone is living in a silo; a safe place that is protecting them from a dangerous world outside.

*dun dun duuuuuuunnnnnnn* We'll see what happens in the other 70% :D

Kelly Brown | 379 comments Loved it, and looove Hugh Howey. I have read Shift, the next in the trilogy, and have Dust. I don't want to read it yet- trying to keep the silo world around.

message 3: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments Howey is a great world builder so what is happening can be confusing as he likes to give informations about the society step by step. I really enjoyed what he did in the Silo series, even if the stories were too slow paced for me (Sand was better in this account).

If you want full answers after finishing this one, you'll have to read the 2nd book. It's a prequel explaining how the world ended like this and how the silo is managed now, it really helped me to understand everything and I really enjoyed to have a full view.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments What an amazing book!!!! I am really excited to read Shift Omnibus Edition: Shift 1-3, Silo Saga, Sand, and Dust! I'm not sure if Sand is connected, but it looks good, nonetheless.

The story building was beautiful and there were so many what the s*** moments. Gah! I finished this about 12 hours ago and my mind is still trying to process it all. Well done!

4/5

message 5: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments Next is Shift, which is a (great) prequel and the last is Dust which continues the story from Wool.

Sand is totally a separate world & story for the moment, but also a great one :)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Awesome! Thanks, Zaz!

message 7: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments So glad to read fellow Howey fans raving about his books! I love the whole Wool series!

message 8: by Sophie (new) - added it

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I added this book to my TBR before reading your discussion and now I can't wait to get to it! :)

message 9: by Celia (new)

Celia (cinbread19) | 359 comments Don't bother with Wool: The Graphic Novel. It is a joke. I got this book instead and will probably like it better.

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 746 comments I am going to read this one for Week 19: A New York Times best-seller.

message 11: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2568 comments I just finished reading Wool for the book you've owned for more than a year 2019 prompt. I loved it and had a hard time putting it down! I had 2 chapters to go last night and my battery was at 5% so I had to wait until this morning to finish it! It's really well written and suspenseful. This was one of my first Free Friday Nook Books from many years ago. I don't know why I took so long to read it but am glad that I did! I will have to read Shift and Dust now.

message 12: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2568 comments For those of you who enjoyed the Silo trilogy, I recommend Hugh Howey's short story collection Machine Learning: New and Collected Stories, which has several stories from the Silo world.