Our Shared Shelf discussion

Chat and Meet for "Country Here" > Feminism in South America

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura González (lrga13) | 1 comments Good morning!

I know that's a group to share books and spread feminism idea but today I wanna make an exception because the latest news in South America (Ecuador) was so sad.
Two argentines girls in Ecuador found death in a simple vacation...
Here a letters in their memories.
I hope that you read this and share.
It's time to make our voice be so loud...so that no one can shut her up!

http://verne.elpais.com/verne/2016/03... (original article)

"The backpackers killed in Ecuador, for the mass media," traveling alone ". They were two women, elderly, traveling together. But however they were "alone". ¿Alone what? Lack of whom? They were two. But as born women to be two was not enough. Not to be "alone", something lacked ... Guess what. " (Mariana Sidoti on Facebook)
///

"Yesterday killed me," viral letter in memory of the two travelers girls killed in Ecuador.

"Yesterday killed me.

I refused to they touch me and with a stick they burst me the cranium. I got stabbed and left me to die bled.

As a garbage they put me to a black polyethylene bag wrapped with duct tape and I was thrown to a beach where hours later they found me.

But worse than death, was the humiliation that followed. From the moment that they had my dead body, nobody wondered where is the bastard that broke my dreams, my hopes, my life. No, rather they started asking me useless questions. To me, you imagine? a dead, who can't speak, who can't defend herself.

What clothes did you have?

Why are you alone?

How a woman will travel alone?

You get into a dangerous neighborhood, what do you expect?

They disputed to my parents for giving me wings, to let me be independent, like any human being. They said that we were drugged and we seek, something we did, that they should have had them guarded.

And just dead I realized that no, that I am not like a man for the world. That death was my fault, it will always be. While if the headline said two young travelers were killed, would be discussing their condolences and their false and hypocritical double standard speech would demand higher penalty for murderers.

But being a woman, it is minimized. It becomes less severe, because of course I looked around me. Doing what I wanted, I find my deserved, for not to be submissive, for not wanting to stay at home, for invest my own money in my dreams. For that and more, I was sentenced.

And I grieved, because I'm no longer here. But you are here. And you're a woman. And you got to put up with you continue rubbing the same speech "earn respect," it's your fault if they scream that you want to play / lick / suck any of your genitals on the street, for wearing a short when 40-degree heat, that if you're traveling alone, you're "crazy" and very likely if you pass something, if trampled upon your rights, is because you've searched.

I ask you for myself and for all women to whom we fell silent, silenced us, they shat our lifes and dreams, raise your voice. We will fight, I'm with you in spirit, I promise that we will one day be so many, that there will not be enough bags to keep silent to all"

Guadalupe Acosta - Paraguay (03/01/16) -

p/d: Sorry if you find any errors in translation, I not speak so much in English. Here is the link. (https://www.facebook.com/guadalupe.ac...)
Can translate it, if you want.

xxx. Laura G

message 2: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
Moved to Feminism in [Country Here] folder

This is horrible news :( This ties into a lot of the questions I was left with after reading My Life On The Road. To what extent is travel a privilege, and how is that privilege gendered? I wish Steinem had addressed these kinds of issues a bit more in her book. It was a memoir, so I understand that the focus was on her own experiences, but how often do we hear these accounts of terrible tragedies and scary experiences from women travelers?

message 3: by agiwle (last edited Mar 03, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

agiwle | 3 comments Here's one comics artist who goes against the advice not to travel alone that women frequently get:

http://homeiswheretheinternetis.blogs...

:)

message 4: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments That is appalling. May they rest in peace. Travelling alone can have devastating consequences, and these were together. What is wrong with people?

message 5: by Jade SiL (new)

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) I hate this. I hate that so many people think it's right to feel scared your whole life, that if you try to move on and live your life it's your own fault if you got raped and stabbed to death.
I refuse to live like that. I want to travel or just go to work without my parents thinking I might not come back.
May these two beautiful girls rest in peace.

message 6: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Buttigliero | 5 comments I also live in Argentina. This is something I posted about this in a feminist group I belong to...
"Last year I posted about a protest in my country (Argentina) where 300.000 people marched to our Congress to demand politic involvement and specific actions against the sexism that is killing thousands in my country (#NiUnaMenos). I was excited because for the 2 months prior to that, we could discuss every single subject in "the feminist agenda" with anyone (rape culture, LGBT rights, privilege, gender identity, ableism, beauty standars... you name it!), and we were able to open many minds. It really felt like a social change was arising.
Last week, two girls from my country were found dead in Peru, where they were travelling. And we're back to the same old story. The media blaming them for travelling, for being beautiful, for being "alone" (They were together, but apparently that's not enough, they were missing something... can you guess what?)... for being women. Blaming their parents for "allowing" them to travel. And not only the media, but also a lot of people that marched down to the Congress with me that day.
I am so tired. Tired of arguing through Facebook. Tired of hearing the sexism from people I respect and care for. Tired of not being able to make any difference. Tired because I can't help engaging in these conversations and it takes most of my energy and my time, for nothing."

message 7: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
Reading this has made me really angry - It's difficult to believe that in this day & age this sort of thing still happens (& often). It's absolutely disgusting!

message 8: by Andrea (last edited Mar 04, 2016 08:49AM) (new)

Andrea Vega (neapoulain) I comment this on the thread in spanish but... well, here more people can read about it:
When two men travel, they travel; but when two women travel, they travel alove.

It's something I hear when the letter become viral. And if we look on how the media is talking about this two women, is true. Instead on focusing on the really important: finding the murderer(s), they're asking questions the two women cannot answer and blaming them because "maybe they were asking for it". And I hate that.

I live in Mexico. One of the countries in America with more "feminicidios" (women assasinated because of their gender) and I hear that kind of news everyday. Even with awesome campaigns like #NiUnaMenos, the media is still focusing on blaming the victim rather than any other thing.

It's difficult to believe this is still happening today in the XXI century. But it's happening and I am really tired about talking about this. And the I think, if I don't speak up... who is gonna do it?

May they rest in peace. They -of all people- deserve it.

message 9: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Kimball (gaylekimball) A Colombian book presented Friday in Cali celebrates prominent figures of Latin American feminism, four days before International Women's Day.

The book, entitled “People's Feminism. Teaching Methods and Policies,” compiles various articles and interviews reflecting the struggles of rural and urban women, Indigenous women, lesbians and transvestites, from a range of countries including Colombia, Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, Venezuela, Cuba and even Palestine.

“Latin America is one of the regions of the world that accounts for the highest rates of labor exploitation, unemployment, under-employment and informal work,” said the text presenting the book. “These processes seriously harm the life quality of our people, but especially the million of women, young women and little girls. This has made them more resilient and more determined to fight for their rights.”

The women presented in the book include campesino leader, Duby Ordoñez, from the Comité de Integración del Macizo Colombiano and the Indigenous City Counselor, Carmen Ulcué, from the Consejo Regional Indígena de Cauca, among others.

Other pieces include the feminist experiences of the anti-sexist communes in Venezuela, campesino leaders in Paraguay, the Landless Workers' Movement in Brazil, the Popular Front Dario Santillan in Argentina and Cuba.

Palestine was also included with an interview of Salam Hamdam, a Palestinian women's rights activist, by Argentinian community worker Claudia Korol, who is also a main contributor of the book.

This content was originally published by teleSUR at the following address:
"http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news...". If you intend to use it, please cite the source and provide a link to the original article. www.teleSURtv.net/english

message 10: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Echevarría | 29 comments This is awful and I cannot stop thinking about it!
Last summer I went abroad for the first time. I spent 2 weeks with a friend, 2.5 months as an Au Pair in Italy, and 3 weeks traveling alone. I was nervous, but never felt unsafe. The weeks I spent alone, people were surprised to learn I was on my own and some called me "brave." It is horrible to think that as women we cannot feel safe and comfortable to travel, just because two women where on their own, no matter their age, traveling and enjoying their lives doesn't mean it was a "logical reason" for their deaths.

I'm from Mexico and everytime I go out, I feel weird. I'm quite paranoid, so I'm always looking around and when I'm a couple blocks from my home, I'll have my keys on hand, just in case. My dad is constantly telling me "watch out how you walk/move/speak/dress" all because, to my annoyance, he is of the idea that the way you walk/move/speak/dress could be a reason for being attacked and we women "shouldn't provoke men."

Some of my female friends have been harassed, I've been too, and it's so unfair: instead of doing everything we can to stop these issues, women are blamed. Law and society give reason to the perpetrator instead of helping the victim.

message 11: by Noor (last edited Mar 10, 2016 11:00AM) (new)

Noor Zahra | 1 comments I really hate to know that women are being stopped from move ahead towards their dreams by such kind of people. It is so bad to feel that we are so unsafe in the society, we actually live in. Because of such kind of people we are stopped from reaching our goals. There may be a lot of women out there who want to travel the world for knowledge, adventure and other kind of great reasons but their parents don't allow them because of the horrifying reality of the outside world. I literally feels like you aren't aloud to breath according to your will. So unfair. Why are women always blamed in these issues and not the people who are actually responsible for messing up their lives.

message 12: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Kimball (gaylekimball) https://globalvoices.org/2016/04/12/m...
The Feminist Library is a Facebook community that two Mexican women have administered for a little over a year now. Today, the group has more than 9,000 followers. The Library was founded to serve as a collection of information on feminism and women's rights:

message 13: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Kimball (gaylekimball) Carolina shared this report from Mexico on 4-26:

Today there's a demonstration in Mexico City, there were some hashtags for social media: #VivasNosQueremos (we want ourselves alive), #MiPrimerAcoso (my first assault), #NiUnaMas (no more), #NoEsNo (no is no), #NoTeCalles (speak up), #24A, among others. Here are some of the pictures on Instagram
Instagramhttps://www.instagram.com/explore/tag...

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Vega (neapoulain) (Brief geographical fact: Mexico is in Noth America. I know many people are aware of that, but I've seen the mistake of placing Mexico in South America enough times).

Talking about the demonstration, I wasn't there but one of my sisters was and two of my nephews and many friends of mine. But I saw the hashtag #MiPrimerAcoso too many times in my timeline. Almost every woman used it and tell the story of the first time we were assaulted. In almost every story, we were talking about our experiences as kids and teenagers and many stories seemed alike.

#NoTeCalles is a campaign that started Andrea Noel after being sexually assaulted in a public place. Here is a video with more information (and english subtitles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EXCe...

esa basic booktuber (valedsf) This is so awful. I know personally the woman who wrote the letter, she came to my school to give us (men and women) a speech on feminism and racism. In my country, Paraguay, schools are trying to erradicate machism and stereotypes from student's minds, starting with the young ones. I must say I really am sorry that this was required for the world to pay more attention to our situation. Sorry for mistakes, I'm not a natural english-speaker

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Vega (neapoulain) [OK, the case I came to talk about it's not strictly South America, as Guatemala has a border with Mexico and is actually Central America, but I do get the feel it matches with all the stuff here.]

There are 40 girls dead in Guatemala. They died in a "Hogar Seguro" (Safe Home, a shelter for troubled youths) where they were―allegedly―protected from sexual and domestic abuse. In fact, the reasons for the institusionalisation of this girls vary. One of them ran off his house with a boyfriend and the family contacted the authorities; when they found the girl, they sent her to a Safe Home and institusionalised her, instead of to her home. Her mom did not have the money to get her out.

They died after a riot, beucase of a fire. They were denouncing sexual abuse, prostitution, violence. Today, the deaths reached a 40. Forty girls that were protesting about the treat the received in the shelter are dead.

It took me ages to find sources in English, bet here they are, as incomplete as I feel they are, because no media is talking about it, just independent media in Spanish:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/least-22-d...
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-a...

The girls were protesting for sexual abuse of the wardens, saying they were forced onto sex work (kind of human trafficking) and in fact, four of three days ago, doctors discovered all the survivors to date were pregnant. The news horrorizes me. Completely.

And yet, no media is talking :'(