Paper & Glam Book Club discussion

Glam Archives | 2016 > March 2016: The Girl On The Train

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisamarie (new)

Lisamarie Landreth (paperandglam) | 236 comments Mod
Happy March Glam Readers!

Here we go diving into this year's thriller....can't wait to read what you think!

message 2: by Leane (new)

Leane I am so glad this book was on the list!
This isn't a book I would normally pick up but I loved it.

message 3: by Tanelle (new)

Tanelle Nash I seriously hated this book. For me to give a low rating to a book is rare, but this one earned 1 star. I would've gone even lower if it had let me.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2 comments Half way through, I haven't read fiction in a long time, I'm really enjoying this one.

message 5: by Debi (new)

Debi I read this book, because it was different, but I didn't so much care for it. 3 stars.

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Snyder (theloquaciousmom) | 10 comments It was definitely a page turner but the ending wasn't all that surprising which was what ultimately disappointed me.

message 7: by KenJen (new)

KenJen (jennem) | 52 comments I read the book last year, but I am so excited to discuss it with you all. I wasn't a huge fan of it because I hate the comparison to Gone Girl; HOWEVER, this book was a page turner. I enjoyed it I had ALL of the emotions while reading.

message 8: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Kinnander deanda | 11 comments I read this book last year -- it is dark!! Nothing like gone girl that comparison was kind of deceiving when I picked this book up -- average book in my opinion

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Colon | 5 comments I read this book last year in October and loved it I gave it a 4 Star rating. So glad this was one of the picks for this years book club. Can't wait to hear what everyone has to say about it

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (tulipies86) I read this toward the end of 2015, and it kept me up at night, and had me taking long lunches at work! Definitely loved it, and I honestly wasn't expecting the ending.
I'm glad to have a chance to "re-read" it (I'll be skimming to refresh my memory), so I can contribute to the discussion.
I haven't read (or seen) Gone Girl, so I can't compare it, and that sounds like it's working in my favour, in this instance. Definitely will have to pick that one up, soon, though!

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulakaye) I read this book last year too. I totally agree that the comparison to Gone Girl was unwarranted. It was nothing like Gone Girl. Gone Girl was so much better. However I still enjoyed The Girl on the Train!

message 12: by BambiReads (new)

BambiReads | 1 comments I liked reading the book and did enjoy it too but I predicted the ending too soon so that was a bit disappointing :/
Also what I find interesting is that I didn't really like ANY of the characters in the book. Nevertheless I did enjoy reading it.

message 13: by Leane (new)

Leane I agree, I didn't like any of the characters.
I didn't realize that til you just said that now.

message 14: by Sabra (new)

Sabra (sabra_rose) I gave it 5 stars. I have been in a reading slump recently so was overjoyed to find this a page-turner that kept me up late (it's currently 3:30am) to finish it. I do agree all the characters were flawed and pretty unlikeable but I think that was the point. They were all psychologically unstable characters and that made the suspense build for me as I had no idea who to trust or what was the truth. Definitely recommending to all my friends who enjoy thrillers!

message 15: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morgangriffin) | 3 comments I read this book a few months ago and I really liked it. I enjoy a book that has me changing my mind multiple times on "who did it". I wish that the main character had been a bit more relatable, she was a total mess and didn't have many redeeming qualities. At the same time, it was interesting to have a book written from the perspective of an alcoholic. It's not a voice that I've heard before.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shylersmom) | 2 comments I agree with Morgan. I found myself getting more and more frustrated with the main character for her inability to "pull it together"! I really was rooting for her to get her life straightened out. I found myself halfway through the book getting restless and feeling like the book needed to hurry up and end already! I was surprised at the end! I usually don't read "who done it" books and liked the twist and the ending. I give this book 3 stars.

message 17: by Glor (new)

Glor | 2 comments I just started and so far it is a page turner!

message 18: by Teresa (new)

Teresa  Lee | 4 comments I haven't read Gone Girl or seen the movie so I have nothing to compare this too but I loved this book! I read it in one day. Seriously a page turner. The characters are all a mess and I can't relate to any of them but I still loved the book! I'm glad this was one of our books this year!

message 19: by Candace (new)

Candace (bieckerchick68) | 4 comments I had this on my list for quite some time, and when I finally got it, I read it in about two days. I agree that none of the characters were likable. I just wanted to figure out what was going on! I did enjoy it- wasn't what I expected though.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2 comments Well, I know there are a lot of people stating that the main character is unlikeable, a mess, unrelateable...but, unfortunately, I could relate to her perspective. In the past I had similar issues and I found it really fascinating to read her passages...trying to piece together the night before, feeling dread but not sure why because she can't remember. I was rooting for her to overcome this addiction, these demons, and I'm so glad for those of you who can't relate to that. But for me, this was a very moving journey.

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (tulipies86) I didn't like any of the characters, either, and I think that is part of the point. As far as the characters go, they are probably the most realistic set I've seen in a long while. They all have issues and their lives aren't perfect; sounds more like reality than most fiction I've read. So while they may not be likeable, they are definitely relatable.

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Snyder (theloquaciousmom) | 10 comments Did anyone else think that the book portrayed stay at home moms/wives a little.... unstable?

message 23: by ♥elina♥ (new)

♥elina♥ (lifeoncapilano) | 5 comments I gave this book 3 star. I found myself like most of you frustrated with Rachel’s character and her inability to get her life together. The fact that her character was in constant rerun mode, drove me insane. I did understand her emotional loss and the fact she turned to drinking to comfort here. Some people deal with life situation differently and that’s the sad honest truth. The writer did have me guessing and way back and forth of who the murder was. The truth is I didn’t start really enjoying the book until the truth about who Rachel was came out. Then I couldn’t put the book down. The author did a wonderful job with portraying how some woman think and feel but may never voice their thoughts, this was shone through both Megan and Anna characters. At the end of the book I could see myself in each of these women at some point in my life.

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather | 14 comments I like reading your comments! I finished the book very quickly, and I could not put it down at the end. I rated it 3 1/2 stars. I found it fascinating that the main character was an unreliable narrator. Here is an observation I made: the letters in the title's font do not match up. For example there are 2 Rs, but each looks different. Perhaps this relates to the novel in that all the main characters have a duplicity about them. For example, the Megan that Rachel views from the train does not match up with the real Megan.

I would like to discuss the ending, but i don't think we are supposed to post spoilers. I hope the ending is discussed in the live book chat. Here is what I'm wondering: was the killer ever made known publicly/to the police? It seemed to me that it wasn't.

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather | 14 comments Stephanie wrote: "Did anyone else think that the book portrayed stay at home moms/wives a little.... unstable?"

Haha, yes!

message 26: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (thegoodaccountant) | 1 comments This is the first thriller I have read. I really enjoyed it. I could relate to a lot of the experiences of the characters. I'm not think the kind of person that takes books too seriously. I'm just happy to be reading again. I will definitely try out more thrillers. Overall I thought the book was entertaining.

message 27: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa Blake | 1 comments I'm not one who really goes for thrillers so I'm not as used to the plot lines and guessing who did what. I found that it wasn't as intelligent as something like gone girl (sorry to compare but I haven't read much else in this category). This was easier to read I found and I got through it quickly because it was quite captivating so I enjoyed it. Glad it was on the book list, it was a good choice and some of my friends had already read it so it was a good topic of conversation.

message 28: by Kassidi. (new)

Kassidi. Under The Radar Books. (undertheradarbooks) I really enjoyed this book and was glad you picked because I was hesitant to read it. Great book!!

message 29: by Kim (new)

Kim Cooley (kimberlymelaine) | 1 comments I really enjoy reading everyone's comments on the book. I can see the many perspectives and maybe understand and have compassion for the main character however, I didn't really like Rachel as a main character. I felt like the characters weren't well evolved, they seemed incomplete. Though i liked this book, it left me wanting a little more. As far as Rachel goes I couldn't relate to the fact that she lost her job, friends and consistently couldn't remember anything after getting drunk so often, maybe a few episodes would have been ok but the drunken episodes just got tiring after the first few times and I believe the story could've been better if we saw her progressing some instead of staying that way throughout the book and suddenly at the end she seems to be fine. I liked her persistence in following the mystery out to the end but found it not realistic to be able to figure out who done it while the whole time she can't even remember what happened yesterday. Probably not a popular review but just how I felt about it. 2 stars

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Beauchamp (nerdgirl89) | 3 comments I normally don't read these kind of books because I'm to scary. But I love this book.

message 31: by Bri (last edited Mar 31, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Bri (mrsbrzy) | 2 comments Heather wrote: "I like reading your comments! I finished the book very quickly, and I could not put it down at the end. I rated it 3 1/2 stars. I found it fascinating that the main character was an unreliable narr..."

I'm going to try not to throw out spoilers while giving my opinion on this lol but I personally think that it was made public, at least to the police, because of the reasoning behind Rachel's actions at the end. The reason she felt justified in doing what she did ...if you're catching my drift? I'm hoping that makes a little sense =X

message 32: by Desi (new)

Desi | 9 comments I just finished the book the night before last. I'd give it a solid 3.5 stars. Toward the 2nd half of the book it was definitely a page turner. The ending was kind of predictable once certain information came to be known but it was still kind of surprising in some points. I'm definitely not a fan of this way of 1st person writing at all or the jumps between present and past, but it made sense for the story line. Rachel's character was REALLY hard to like but I think Riley's role was to try to get the reader to sympathize and help her likeability.

message 33: by Kim (new)

Kim | 2 comments I liked this book. It was like a suspense movie. It was a fun read!

message 34: by Glor (new)

Glor | 2 comments I too thought it was a page turner at the beginning and end, but then I thought there was some lag in the middle and put it down for a bit. Once I picked it up again and got toward the end, I couldn't put it down. I think I was hoping for another twist to the ending.