The Mary Sue Books and More Club discussion

Comics/Graphics Reads > March Graphic Novel Discussion 2 - Nimona Chapters 7 - Epilogue

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Allyn (soyxunxperdedor) This month we'll try dividing the graphic novel in half for discussions. This thread is for chapters 7 through the Epilogue, discussions will run through the end of March.

message 2: by Radclyffe U-Haul (last edited Mar 28, 2016 02:43PM) (new)

Radclyffe U-Haul | 41 comments I really enjoyed this!
One complaint: I feel like it could have been less subtext-y that Ballister and Goldenloin were an item. (One the very last page they're almost but not quiiiiiiiiiiite smooching. C'mon, Stevenson.). It's just frustrating that it's clear but still somewhat deniable. I dunno. On the one hand, any kind of MOGAI representation in an all ages book is wonderful but because there's so little, I guess I expect more from it.

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Allyn (soyxunxperdedor) That was extra frustrating when it was still an ongoing webcomic, Stevenson would complain on her twitter and such that people thought they were just friends, but that wouldn't have happened if she hadn't made it quite so subtexty. Granted it's all a symptom of heteronormativity, but considering heteronormativity is still a problem creators should make a point to not leave things so up in the air. In my opinion, at least.

Radclyffe U-Haul | 41 comments Brittany wrote: "That was extra frustrating when it was still an ongoing webcomic, Stevenson would complain on her twitter and such that people thought they were just friends, but that wouldn't have happened if she..."
EXACTLY. I'm mean, yeah, in a perfect world it should be clear without being explicitly stated but this is sadly not a perfect world.

message 5: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Allyn (soyxunxperdedor) I kept meaning to reread this for the group but I just kept putting it off and now we have a new graphic novel selected so oops. Anyway, I really love Nimona, even if I do think Blackheart and Goldenloin could've been a bit more obvious.

Radclyffe U-Haul | 41 comments I really hope Stevenson writes that Dr. Blitzmeyer spin-off!