Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Etcetera > Mom O'Cat

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments For my book friends who have known me a long time, I thought this would be the best place to share my sad news. My mom passed away earlier this week. She died at home, peacefully, in her sleep. If you have to go, that has to be the best way to do it. She was 92 years old.

We've been living together the last couple of years, when she got to the point where I felt she needed daily care and oversight. But it does make the loss even harder as I keep turning to her empty chair wanting to tell her whatever fleeting thought has passed through my mind.

She was an M/T reader to the end, with a Lisa Gardner reread on her walker where she'd carried it with her to read in bed.

Much love to all of you. I miss you terribly.

Jan

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments Jan, I'm so terribly sorry and I send my deepest sympathy. For your mom, that is a blessed way to go. For you, know matter when and how, losing your mom is one of the hardest things to endure. You have my sincere condolences.
Dawn

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1 comments You have some great memories of your mom and your time together. It's wonderful that she was still able to see to read and could enjoy reading. So many of my older friends can't see well enough to read.

I do want to send you my sincere sympathy. Nancy (NJ)

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Jan: My heart breaks for you and understand the deep impact of this sad news. How wonderful that you had the close contact and joy of being with your Mom in your home. Her ninety-two years of life are to be celebrated and as a reader to the end - I love that mental picture.
I will be thinking of you and offer my condolences - I miss you too.

message 5: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments So sorry! Sending thoughts prayers and love!

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments So sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom, Jan. You never lose the idea, no matter how old you get, that your mom will be there forever. How wonderful that she was still able to enjoy reading. My sincere condolences. We miss you, too, and will be here if you want to check in!

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Jan, thank you for thinking of us as a place to share your sad news. I offer you my condolences. I am well aware of the bittersweet feeling of having taken care of a failing parent in the home, and ultimately losing them. Along with the sadness of your loss I also hope that you hold onto the joy you had in sharing your mom's final years. Not everyone has that privilege, or can take joy in it. Hang in there!

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Jan, so sorry about your MOM.

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments Jan, so very sorry to read of your Mom's passing. My sincere condolences to you.

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments OMalleycat wrote: "For my book friends who have known me a long time, I thought this would be the best place to share my sad news. My mom passed away earlier this week. She died at home, peacefully, in her sleep. If ..."

oh i am so sorry to hear about your mom, ms. o'cat. thank you for sharing with us. now, come back and play. we miss you, too.

message 11: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3050 comments My sympathy Jan.

message 12: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Deepest sympathy, Miss O'Cat.

message 13: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments OMalleycat wrote: "For my book friends who have known me a long time, I thought this would be the best place to share my sad news. My mom passed away earlier this week. She died at home, peacefully, in her sleep. If ..."

jan, so sorry to hear this, my condolences to you and your family.

message 14: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1117 comments Very sorry for your loss. No matter your age it's hard to lose your Mom.
Merrilee

message 15: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 6 comments I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family.

message 16: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Jan, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. I'm glad she had a good long life and died peacefully...and of course enjoyed her reading. I miss you too and send you hugs!

message 17: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments Jan,

I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers.
We hope you come back to be with us soon. We all miss you.

message 18: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Thanks to all of you for your condolences. It's so good to see so many friends still here together after all these years. We're a great community! I miss all of you and still get good reading ideas just from popping in to look at my updates occasionally. You're still the best book recommenders around.

Jan

Lynne in PA/Lineepinee (lineepineeaolcom) | 68 comments So sorry to hear the news Jan. I moved to PA in '06 to live and care for my elderly mom. She only lived to be 90, passing in '12. Somehow I've never gotten the reading groove back as much as I had hoped. And by coincidence, I am right now visiting my daughter and family in OK. Sort of a kismet moment that I chose to read the boards for the first time in weeks and saw your message.