Honors_Alexander discussion

Discussion Post # 1 (Due 3/16)

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 1 comments Mod
How do you experience your independent novel? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to "get into it?" How do you feel about reading it-amused, sad, disturbed,confused,bored...?

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby Miranda | 1 comments I love reading my independent novel, though it took me awhile to "get into it". The beggining was like her back story. The novel is very interesting, it keeps me off my seat all the time.

message 3: by Allie (new)

Allie Daffron | 2 comments My independent novel is great! I started reading it and I couldn't stop. My book makes me laugh sometimes and other times it's a little boring but picks back up. I really like the format of my book, and how it is written in a letter format.

message 4: by Allie (new)

Allie Daffron | 2 comments My independent novel is great! I started reading it and I couldn't stop. My book makes me laugh sometimes and other times it's a little boring but picks back up. I really like the format of my book, and how it is written in a letter format.

message 5: by Abby (new)

Abby Heard | 1 comments My independent novel was very easy to get into. I started reading it the day I got it and seriously couldn't put it down. Eleanor & Park is very interesting in a way that things build really fast then slow down for a chapter. One minute they wouldn't talk to each other and the next they can't stop. That way of writing keeps the book surprising and suspenseful, but won't give you a heart attack from all of the twists and turns because it gives you time to breathe.

message 6: by Amy (last edited Mar 12, 2016 08:08AM) (new)

Amy Ridgeway | 1 comments It didn't take me very long to "get into" my novel. John Green is my favorite author because of the writing style he possess and that got me hooked right away. The way that he portraies the main character as being this male with a small group of friends always looking to get in trouble, is very relatable. And the way he refers to the main characters best friend , Tiny, who is either " The world gayest person, that is very large" or " The world largest person, that is very gay" Which is the hilarious irony of his name. However, it was very confusing in the next chapter when it completely changes the point of view to the other Will Grayson. This Will, I believe, is writing in his journal. I think this because there is absolutly no correct punctuation nor is there any correct capitalization. I'm still trying to figure out why the author did this to the second Will but not to the first.

message 7: by nathan (new)

nathan a. | 1 comments For my independent novel I chose to continue reading a book that I had already started. This book is the fourth book in one of my favorite series "The Lunar Chronicals." The book has lots of twists and turns being that it is the last book in the series. Since I've been annotating every other page I've been able to focus on the characters' feelings throughout the novel. They undergo some pretty tough situations and by annotating it's made me stop and think a little bit more about what they are going through and how they are handling the situation. I can't wait to dive even further into my independent novel and see what happens in the end. I think that's what's made me continue to be entranced by the book because I want to know what happens!

message 8: by James (new)

James Connard | 1 comments From the beginning my novel has intrigued me. My novel is far from tedious. I was hooked on the book from the start. When I read my book I feel relaxed and worry free.

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (natalieworley) | 1 comments I was interested from the beginning, and as I read, the suspense grows. My author has done a really great job developing her characters which makes me care about them and what happens to them. There are many different sub-plots going on, and I am able to imagine everything and everyone in my head. She also has left an antagonist unknown which leaves readers guessing. I can't stop reading it!

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 1 comments My independent novel was really good. I was engaged immediately
probably because it was set in World War 2. the book was meant to make World War 2 a comedy and it was a little funny in some bits. Some parts of the book were very confusing because the parts would change from the present time to back in time. I enjoyed my novel.

message 11: by Nycole (new)

Nycole | 1 comments From the beginning of my novel I found it very interesting. I feel it's very easy to understand what the characters are going through since it's set in the setting of high school students. The novel has me on the edge of my seat at all times wanting to know what will happen next. I can't wait to find out what happens in the end!

message 12: by Christy (new)

Christy Villeda | 1 comments I feel engaged to my novel, because from the start I did get hooked, since the character had to move into a school. He's a rebel, because his parents tell him to stay out of stuff, but he still goes for it, even if he doesn't like it. I really came to like the book and it's ups and downs. I feel amused with my novel.

message 13: by Haley (new)

Haley Allison | 3 comments It has taken me a while to become interested in my novel because the beginning was mainly the author setting up the story and explaining what happened before the beginning of the book. One thing that the author did that I really enjoyed was how they jumped between times a lot. The very beginning was mainly present, and then a couple chapters in, it changed to the past. It stayed the past the majority of the first fourth of the book, but it would continue to change times in the past. I'm mostly confused right now because of the time changes, and the author is being very vague.

message 14: by Haley (new)

Haley Allison | 3 comments Jamie wrote: "My independent novel was really good. I was engaged immediately
probably because it was set in World War 2. the book was meant to make World War 2 a comedy and it was a little funny in some bits. S..."
My book changed from the past to the present a good bit as well. Because of these time changes, my book is very confusing as well.

message 15: by Haley (new)

Haley Allison | 3 comments Natalie wrote: "I was interested from the beginning, and as I read, the suspense grows. My author has done a really great job developing her characters which makes me care about them and what happens to them. Ther..." What book are you reading? It sounds great! Almost like Lisa T. Bergren;) I love it when authors describe their characters and setting so well that I can envision them in my mind.

message 16: by Sean J (new)

Sean J | 1 comments I was engaged immediately in my novel (the 3rd Lord of the Rings book) because it helps resolve a cliffhanger posed in the second novel. The writing style is fantastic, and it is a thoroughly enjoyable storyline. I simply can't put it down.

I'm excited that I am reading this, because I started the trilogy a few months ago, and have wanted to begin reading this. The novel is simply epic.

message 17: by Rylie (new)

Rylie Allen | 1 comments I like reading my independent novel. I was immediately engaged in it because I have been wanting to read it. I find the book amusing.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Avella | 1 comments To me my independent novel, the house on mango street was hard to get into at first. I found it pretty slow at the beginning when I started reading my book. But after the first two or so chapters I started to get interested. I found my novel to be confusing since in each chapter they were talking about something difference or it had switched character. But I do enjoy my book and so of the thing that I enjoy are the different stories that it has.

message 19: by Canby (new)

Canby Biddle | 1 comments I love reading my independent novel, "The 5th Wave." It was so easy to get into because it is so action packed and filled with so many challenges the main character, Cassie, has to face that I didn't want to put it down. It starts out immediately with "The Others" invading earth and is constantly switching views from before and after everything went to ruins. I'm excite to finish my novel and think that allowing us to choose our own book was a great idea.

message 20: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Bajsa | 1 comments I was interested immediately. My book is the 3rd or 4th in a series and the book before left me with a cliffhanger so I was wanting to know what happened next.

message 21: by Kolten (new)

Kolten Dickerson | 1 comments my independent novel has multiple characters and they are in a first person view from each. i was interested with my book a few pages in because it dropped you into this kid running around asking questions that would only be answered if you read. my book is very exciting because i want to know what happens next

message 22: by Juliet (new)

Juliet Fountain | 1 comments The book quickly drew me in, and I was immediately interested. However, the Fault in our Stars, being focused on kids with illnesses, caused me to feel sad. With this being said, I am still happy with my independent choice.

message 23: by Mohini (new)

Mohini Devadath | 1 comments I personally think my independent novel is great so far. It's very cool how that even though most of the characters of the book seem to be polar opposites, they can still be friends and work together. My book also uses a lot of foreshadowing which, if you're like me, it makes you create all kinds of theories. My book also gives you all sorts of information of the supernatural without you being overloaded. Though there are some sad times in the book, overall I find it enjoyable to read.

message 24: by Mckinley (new)

Mckinley Martin | 1 comments My independent novel is very interesting. It relates more to high schoolers, so i automatically connect as I read farther into the novel. I have mixed emotions towards my book. There are moment that bring the tone down, while also keeping happy persistent characters throughout.

message 25: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Steinman | 1 comments Although it is an incredible novel, Slaughterhouse-Five has a somewhat slow beginning. While reading, I experience a spectrum of emotions; Vonnegut's satirical, black humor is very entertaining, while most of the actual events in the plot are quite depressing. It is a beautiful piece of literature and I enjoy reading it very much.

message 26: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 1 comments It took me a while to get "into" my novel, since the beginning started off with a random plot scene that I finally understood in later chapters. So far, it has some pretty exciting interesting parts. I love how the novel contains so much stuff I have experienced, which helps me understand this book. The characters are all in their own world which is something I love about books. Honestly, I can't wait to find out the end of this novel.

message 27: by Zack (new)

Zack Moore | 1 comments I still haven't really "gotten into" my novel. It's not that it's a bad novel, I just am still kinda forcing myself to read the book. It has a few interesting parts, and a good plot, but the beginning was kind of boring. All in all, I don't dislike the book, I just don't have any interest in it.

message 28: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Wlosko | 1 comments I have been reading Slaughterhouse Five, and I have some negative feelings towards the book. I'm about two-thirds done with it, and I still haven't found it to be interesting. The book is about the war, and I'm usually interested in books with that plot. I'm not sure what it is about it, but my independent novel doesn't really appeal to me.

message 29: by Bella (new)

Bella | 1 comments My independent novel, which is “Speak” by Laurie Halse Anderson, captured my attention almost immediately. It started out with a very simple beginning and I was able to understand where the author was coming from. I felt depressed and disturbed while reading this novel because of the character’s story. I read “Hate List” by Jennifer Brown right after I finished my independent novel and while these two books are completely different stories, I felt like the main characters in both stories shared some similar characteristics. “Speak” was a very simple and enjoyable read and I also noticed almost right away that the main character, Melinda Sordino, used a lot of figurative language like similes and personification to describe her emotions.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Paz | 1 comments My independent novel so far hasn't really been a page turner. Like Zach said, I feel like I'm forcing myself to read it rather than wanting to. However, that's how I always feel with books that I have to read and annotate for school. It was kind of confusing at first, but as I read I started understanding the situation better. It just seems boring, but I'm keeping an open mind to it because I'm not that far into it yet.

message 31: by Joe (new)

Joe Hott | 1 comments As I began reading my Independent Novel I just fell in love. I could just not put the book down. Even though my novel started off on a bad note, with lots of talk of depression and suicide, I was still able to jump in and feel intrigued. Now over the course of my novel it has thankfully moved to a lighter more happy side.

message 32: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Coury | 1 comments My book was frustrating at the beginning. The characters honestly made me cringe but once I got to know them a little better I really started gaining interest in them and in the book itself. Over all it was a very good book, I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected myself to!

message 33: by Jared (new)

Jared Costello | 1 comments My book is confusing throughout the whole book. And it took me awhile for me to-get interested In it . But later on in the book during the climax I became very interested in it

message 34: by Roxy (new)

Roxy Wagg | 1 comments At the beginning of the book it was a little slow. Then then as it started providing more acquiring details, the book became more and more captivating. Sometimes they explained certain topics a little too much in depth, but it still has an amazing story line that the author really brought back and related as best he could to the readers.

message 35: by JoYo (new)

JoYo | 1 comments My independent novel is very interesting.it took me awhile to "get into it". The novel is very interesting, it kept me engaged in the story. My book contained themes such as positive animal training. The book is well write but contains a lot of detail. The diction the author uses is well placed and understandable. Overall it was a decent book with a moderate story line.

message 36: by Brent (new)

Brent Grab | 1 comments My independent novel is very interesting, It is a biography so it takes a little while to get into the good parts but it was great. My book contained themes like revenge, anger, faith, and pride. the book is well written and has very understandable and in depth descriptions which help to understand the book. overall the book is good and I would recommend it.