Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > April 2016 Group Reads Nominations

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 554 comments Mod
I'd like to renominate Harry Bingham's This Thing of Darkness as our main read.

message 2: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3977 comments Mod
No problem Bill. Goodreads link below,

This Thing of Darkness (Fiona Griffiths, #4) by Harry Bingham

also UK Amazon Kindle link
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0...

message 3: by David (last edited Mar 04, 2016 12:18AM) (new)

Sorry about this deleted main post when I meant to delete Bill's that had nothing in it. Anyway main post again is

Nominations are now open for the March Group Reads and will close on 10th March 2016 at midnight GMT. Voting will then be from 11th to 17th March 2016 inclusive.

You may nominate 2 books, 1 in each category (1.Group Main Read, 2.Group Value Read)
Value books must be £4($6.02) or less and will also be added from the freebies board or good finds.

General rules for Group Reads

1) If your nomination wins - you will be asked to be the discussion moderator.

2) No self-nominations by authors.

3) Please try not to repeat an author we have read in the last year. Check the bookshelves to see the authors we've read in the past year.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

4) For your nomination please try and include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

5) Please see thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... for what is a British Mystery if you are unsure.

If you nominate a book that is part of a series please be sure that it can be read as a standalone for those members that may not have read the other books in the series.

message 4: by Juliann (new)

Juliann Johnson | 93 comments Bill wrote: "I'd like to renominate Harry Bingham's This Thing of Darkness as our main read."

Bill wrote: "I'd like to renominate Harry Bingham's This Thing of Darkness as our main read."

This is #4 in the series. Do I need to read the other three first?
Or at least #1? Just wondering. I trust your recommendations!

message 5: by Bill (new)

I think these stand alone fine.

message 6: by David (new)

For my Value Book nomination I will nominate
The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker #1) by C.S. Quinn

The Thief Taker by C.S. Quinn

The blurb:-
"The year is 1665. Black Death ravages London. A killer stalks the streets in a plague doctor’s hood and mask...

When a girl is gruesomely murdered, thief taker Charlie Tuesday reluctantly agrees to take on the case. But the horrific remains tell him this is no isolated death. The killer’s mad appetites are part of a master plan that could destroy London – and reveal the dark secrets of Charlie’s own past.

Now the thief taker must find this murderous mastermind before the plague obliterates the evidence street by street. This terrifying pursuit will take Charlie deep into the black underbelly of old London, where alchemy, witchcraft and blood-spells collide.

In a city drowned in darkness, death could be the most powerful magic of all."

I have nominated this mainly as my wife has had it recommended by one of her friends and I read the blurb and thought it could be worth a read.

message 7: by David (new)

A few days left to nominate and so far we just have;

Main Group Read:
1: This Thing of Darkness (DC Fiona Griffiths) by Harry Bingham - nominated by Bill

Value Book Read
1: The Thief Taker by C.S. Quinn - nominated by David

message 8: by David (new)

My Main group nomination is
Disclaimer by Renée Knight

Disclaimer by Renée Knight

Imagine if the next thriller you opened was all about you.

The blurb....
"Finding a mysterious novel at her bedside plunges documentary filmmaker Catherine Ravenscroft into a living nightmare. Though ostensibly fiction, The Perfect Stranger recreates in vivid, unmistakable detail the terrible day Catherine became hostage to a dark secret, a secret that only one other person knew--and that person is dead.

Now that the past is catching up with her, Catherine’s world is falling apart. Her only hope is to confront what really happened on that awful day even if the shocking truth might destroy her."

message 9: by David (new)

Last day to get any nominations in.

message 10: by Bill (new)

As we need a choice for value read, I nominate Rogue Flamingo by L.A. Kent Rogue Flamingo by L.A. Kent. Despite cover, which shows a phenocopterus ruber ruber, it definitely qualifies as British, tho a Cornishman would insist, not as English.

message 11: by David (new)

Right Nominations are now closed and the polls for both the Main Read and the Value Book are now up and open.

Please vote in the poll section at
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/4...

message 12: by David (new)

Keep voting as there is still a few days left.

message 13: by David (new)

Last day to vote so if you haven't yet voted please do.

message 14: by David (last edited Mar 18, 2016 01:33AM) (new)

OK voting is over and the winners are

Main Group Read
This Thing of Darkness (Fiona Griffiths, #4) by Harry Bingham
This Thing Of Darkness by Harry Bingham (nominated by Bill)

Value Book Read
The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker #1) by C.S. Quinn
The Thief taker by CS Quinn (nominated by David Gooch)

message 15: by Bill (new)

I wondered what to read on the plane. Now I know.