Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Past nominations (closed) > June 2014 Short Story / Novella / Anthology selection complete

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Please use this topic is to suggest a Fantasy or Science Fiction Short Story, Novelette, Novella, or Anthology of shorter works for our group's June, 2014, discussion (beginning June 11.)

It's very helpful if you can indicate where an individual story is still in print, either individually or in some anthology or on a website.

You can review past discussion topics in the group's Bookshelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of our past group selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

You do need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to.

Note that this is our discussion selection for June. Equoid has already been chosen as our May novella topic.

Nominations will be open through Tuesday, May 6, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 127 comments Are we allowed to nominate a book we've been involved in?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

A.L. wrote: "Are we allowed to nominate a book we've been involved in?"

Yes, we allow that.

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 430 comments I nominate Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition: A Tor.Com Original. Equoid which is the next pick is from this collection but there are quite a few other stories I am really keen to read such as the Ford, Marshall and Tidbeck among others.

It is a fairly large collection but there is plenty "meat" to explore with many in this volume appearing in years best ofs. If selected we could prioritise which stories to read so no-one feels too overwhelmed.

There are a couple of kickstarter related collections/magazines/anthologies on the horizon (Upgraded and Women Destroy Science Fiction) but it might be best to wait and see how easy it is for people to get them before nominating - both would be available for June but might be better options for July.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited May 01, 2014 09:04AM) (new)

Ben wrote: "I nominate Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013. Equoid which is the next pick is from this collection but there are quite a few other stories I am really..."

I'm hoping we might also discuss "Burning Girls" and "Wakulla Springs" from that collection as part of the Award Nominated novella discussions in a few weeks. (I have no problem with nominating the collection here, though. That entire collection, Some of the Best from Tor.com 2013, is free on Tor.com in several formats, and the individual stories are also posted there for free on-line reading)

Ben wrote: "There are a couple of kickstarter related collections/magazines/anthologies on the horizon (Upgraded and Women Destroy Science Fiction) but it might be best to wait and see how easy it is for people to get them before nominating - both would be available for June but might be better options for July...."

I saw the "Women Destroy Science Fiction" Table of Content on the website yesterday. (It was really hard to find it again, too!) If I understand what Adams is doing (or what Yant, Swirsky, Wagner & Lupo are doing) it's going to be a Special Issue of Lightspeed (the June issue), with about half the stories available free on the website (being posted throughout the month of June, as is usual for Lightspeed) with bonus content in the paid eBook edition (which is published June 1). The individual issues of Lightspeed usually hit Amazon a couple of days after they hit my Kindle, and on their website store the 1st of the month, for $3.99 in the US (no idea about UK.)

So, waiting till next month probably best since half the stories will be available free in July.

message 6: by A.L. (last edited May 01, 2014 11:05AM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 127 comments Thanks, I thought it best to check. In that case I'd like to nominate Nine Heroes: Tales of Heroic Fantasy.

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 430 comments I better get started with those two G33z3r, although still have Red Station Drifting to make my way through.

Good to see the contents for "women destroy science fiction" - many of the writers there I am not familiar with which is very positive although there are a few writers who are not there who I would love to have seen. Overall though - there is just masses of content there. As for UK prices with Lightspeed you can get it from Weightlessbooks (US price), their own website (US price), Amazon subscriptions £2 a month, start and stop, and start again etc when ever you want or about £3 for individual issues although they might charge a little more for this one.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Ben wrote: "I better get started with those two G33z3r, although still have Red Station Drifting to make my way through...."

You're not supposed to be "making your way through", you're supposed to be enjoying the stories. :)

If 'Best of Tor' wins the June anthology slot, we will hold off on Burning Girls and Wakulla Springs for then. (Otherwise, I'll have to summon some tiny demons to clamp your eyes open while you catch up on the required reading :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited May 05, 2014 06:34PM) (new)

Reminder: Final day for nominations for June's SF/F short stuff is Tuesday.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement chyron

Thank you for the nominations. (Nominations are now closed.) The poll is now open for final Novella/Anthology selection for June.

Please Click Here to Vote for the Novella or Anthology you want to discuss in the group in June, 2014.

Poll is open through Monday, May 12.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Reminder: This is the final day for voting for the Novella or Anthology you want to discuss with the group in June. Click Here to Vote for you choice.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement chyron

The first round vote ended in a tie, so we'll hold a runoff vote between Nine Heroes: Tales of Heroic Fantasy & Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013. The runoff poll is now open for final Anthology selection for June.

Please Click Here to Vote for the Anthology you want to discuss in the group in June, 2014.

This poll is open through Monday, May 19.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

A reminder to those interested in participating in a discussion of one of our Anthology selections for June. Today (Monday) is the final day for voting for your choice.

message 14: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 127 comments What happens if it is tie again?

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited May 20, 2014 04:56AM) (new)

Our selection for the Group's June Fantasy Anthology discussion is:

Nine Heroes Tales of Heroic Fantasy by Walter Rhein Nine Heroes: Tales of Heroic Fantasy

The discussion will begin June 11.

message 16: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 127 comments Yay!!!!!