Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol Catching Up: January and February Reads

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Mar 03, 2016 05:14AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments No home runs but quite a few solid hits.

Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham Rogue Lawyer John Grisham. Read by Mark Deakins. 3/5

Once I got over my annoyance at the similarities to Lincoln lawyer Mickey Haller, created by Michael Connelly, I enjoyed this legal thriller.

A Banquet of Consequences (Inspector Lynley, #19) by Elizabeth George A Banquet of Consequences. Elizabeth George. Read by John Lee. 4/5

Havers and Nkata take center stage to solve a murder initially categorized as death by natural causes. All the plot and character development that George is so good at. I’m a little tired of the Havers-as-outcast story. The characteristics that annoy her superiors and colleagues and endeared her to me in the past are now starting to annoy even me, and to distract from the case at the center.

The Hanging Girl (Department Q, #6) by Jussi Adler-Olsen The Hanging Girl. Jussi Adler-Olsen. Read by Graeme Malcom. 4/5

Carl, Assad and Rose set out to find out why a former colleague of Carl’s shot himself, and stumble upon a cold case involving a teenage girl found hanging from a tree. A parallel story unfolds that connects to the case eventually, and in surprising ways.

Visions in Death (In Death, #19) by J.D. Robb Visions in Death. J.D. Robb. Read by Susan Erickson. 3/5

This book delivers the signature Eve Dallas futuristic police investigation. This time she and Detective Peabody engage the use of a psychic to help get their man.

The Promise (Elvis Cole, #16; Joe Pike, #5; Scott James & Maggie #2) by Robert Crais The Promise. Robert Crais. Read by Luke Daniels, MacLeod Andrews. 3/5

I was warned about the equal time given to various viewpoints, including Elvis Cole, Joe Pike, John Stone, K-9 officer Scott James and his dog Maggie. Once I got used to this I enjoyed the different perspectives. I'm not a dog person particularly but I really felt the love and dedication Scott had toward his dog, and the descriptions from Maggie's equally devoted point of view were entertaining. The plot of finding a woman who was seemingly defecting to terrorists was crafty and satisfying.

Top Secret Twenty-One (Stephanie Plum, #21) by Janet Evanovich Top Secret Twenty-One. Janet Evanovich. Read by Lorelei King. 3/5

Another whacky adventure from Stephanie, Lula, and the gang. This time she is protecting an annoying guy who is the target of a skip she needs to bring in, and Ranger is being targeted by an assassin. For some reason the signature tropes of this series didn't annoy me so much. I liked the take-charge Stephanie who decided to figure out who was targeting Ranger. Even though she is still seriously lacking in solid skills she seems to be a little stronger and more thoughtful about solving the crimes that get thrown in her path.

Tricky Twenty-Two (Stephanie Plum, #22) by Janet Evanovich Tricky Twenty-Two. Janet Evanovich. Read by Lorelei King. 3/5

Stephanie is on the hunt for a fraternity boy charged with assaulting the dean of students. Another whacky adventure with all the signature Plum-isms. I must be getting soft, I didn't even flinch when Stephanie's mom got into the act.

Make Me (Jack Reacher, #20) by Lee Child Make Me Lee Child. 3/5

It took me two months to finish this, so that’s telling you something. But I didn’t give up, so that tells you something else. Typical Reacher premise: Reacher sees something curious, he stops to poke around, and finds a hornets nest that stings. This book, involving a mysterious town with a secret, dragged in the middle but had a fast-paced ending.

The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #1) by Val McDermid The Mermaids Singing. Val McDermind. Read by Graham Roberts. 4/5

First in the Tony Hill/Carol Jordan British police procedural. Very graphic and brutal, told partly from the point-of-view of the serial killer. That and Tony Hill’s flaws made it difficult for me, and there were some red herrings that weren’t quite clear to me at the end. Still, I couldn’t put it down. The level of explicit violence reminds me of the Karin Slaughter series, which I never continued past book one in the series. This series I’ll continue with, but not sure when. I was not wild about the reading by Graham Roberts, he gave the villain a flirty/prancing voice that was distracting.

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Not a bad start to the year, Miss Carol.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Carol.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1185 comments A good start to the year.

Much as I like some of her other work, I was one and done with Val McDermid's Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series. The graphic violence was just too much for me.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1248 comments Great start to the new year Carol. I read 5 of your books...think we have similar taste?

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments Looks like some pretty good reads!

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Thanks, all.

Yes, Dawn, we may be separated-at-birth twins when it comes to reading tastes!

Sandi, I may join you on that bench after the 2nd McDermid, we'll see. I agree with you about her other work.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Nice list Carol! I just love the Dept Q books too; Carl and his co-workers really add color to each book and soften the harsher aspects of the serial killer-like storylines.
It's funny but books we have had for group read discussions such as Grisham's Rogue Lawyer usually end up being higher rates for me than if I read them solo. The discussions enhance the reading experience.