Author Discussions discussion

Roald Dahl Discussions > Someone Like You - Spoiler Free

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (last edited Mar 03, 2016 04:02AM) (new)

Kirsty (kirstysreviews) | 19 comments Mod
All spoiler free discussions for this book, you may also want to use this thread to just mention how far you have got with the book.

message 2: by Kirsty (new)

I'd just like to mention that we were meant to have finished this book in February, but because it was a busy month for both of us we are extending this one for another week. This gives you plenty of time to still join in on this read if you want.

I personally have read the first 3 stories so far. I didn't enjoy the first one, I loved the second one and I thought the third was pretty decent, despite not an awful lot happening.

message 3: by Kirsty (new)

I just dozed off while reading the fourth story, and I also fell asleep when reading the third one the other day. I think when Roald Dahl does a good adult story it's fantastic, but some of them literally put me to sleep, which is a shame. I still have hopes for good stuff in the up and coming stories in this collection.

message 4: by Kirsty (new)

I'm failing at getting any reading done this month. I haven't read anymore of this book yet since my previous post :(

message 5: by Kirsty (new)

Read another of the stories last night. I'm hoping to get this book finished this weekend. I can't remember the name of the story I just read, but it was very dull until the last page. It ended pretty funny, but overall I was just left thinking, what's the point? It's the ship one.

message 6: by Carys (new)

Carys (caryss_) | 3 comments Mod
Kirsty wrote: "Read another of the stories last night. I'm hoping to get this book finished this weekend. I can't remember the name of the story I just read, but it was very dull until the last page. It ended pre..."
I feel like I must have I skimmed one, I just looked back through the book to what I'd read and I honestly can't remember reading it. I quite liked Skin, the one about the tattoo. I'm on 'The Sound Machine' which I plan to read today. If I read one a day I'll be done by Sunday, but I don't know how that's going to go as the last one is quite long. I'm not massively disliking it but I am finding it really hard to get through and I think I just need to force myself to sit down and get it done otherwise I never will!

message 7: by Kirsty (new)

I read Poison last night and absolutely loved it. I definitely found that was one of my favourites.

I know what you mean, because it's just a series of stories, it's so easy to forget to just pick it up.

message 8: by Carys (new)

Carys (caryss_) | 3 comments Mod
I finally finished it!! I ended up giving it 2 stars but I was really conflicted about what rating to give it, because I really loved some of the stories but quite a few of the others brought it down and I struggled a lot to get through it. How are you getting on?

message 9: by Kirsty (new)

I'm at 76%, I just finished the one that has the story writing machine, which I loved. I know what you mean, I'm thinking 3 at best. I've loved a couple, found a few average and hated a handful.

message 10: by Kirsty (new)

It feels so good to finally be done with this book, it had become such a dark cloud hanging over me.