Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Series: The Expanse > Book 1: Leviathan Wakes

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
The Series Read chosen for 2016 is The Expanse by James S. A. Corey, the pen name of authors Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. It was nominated for the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Novel and the 2012 Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel. Apparently this is a very popular series.

The television adaptation by the Syfy network recently completed its first season.

message 2: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
(view spoiler)

message 3: by MadProfessah (new)

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 74 comments The entire series is pretty awesome!!

message 4: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

Maggie K | 1280 comments Mod
Mark-look at you! You beat me!

I read this and enjoyed it, it was fun.

message 5: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 589 comments I enjoyed reading the first three books in the expanse series. I will hold off reading reading book 4 Cibola Burn for another two months.

I will say, this is first time that I enjoyed the television show even more than the book.

message 6: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 1 comments Great series. Book #6 is coming out in the summer (scheduled for June, but rumors say it's a little postponed because of the ongoing TV adaptation, which the authors are involved in), so good timing. There are also several short stories and novellas published!

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I really enjoyed this book. I remember when reading it thinking how much my dad would've liked it. Also, it reminded me of a movie from the 90's: Leviathan http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097737/?...

message 8: by Dan (last edited Mar 03, 2016 10:05PM) (new)

Dan | 344 comments I am reading this book because it won in our voting. I had never heard of it or The Expanse. I guess I'm so enjoying The Colony right now that I've not wrapped my brain around there being two good science fiction series on TV these days.

My first impressions of Leviathan Wakes are generally positive. I do have one warning. The first thirty pages or so throws at least thirty characters at you and provides little background on them. I had to reread those pages and make a character chart to keep them all straight.

One thing I don't like is the marketing of the book. I think it's misleading and could create expectations that won't be met and attract the wrong readers. This is not a space opera in the grand tradition of Hamilton, Banks, as advertised, or even Battlestar Galactica for that matter. The scope is much smaller, and the writing style is more direct. It is more space operetta that takes after Asimov, at best, especially the robot mysteries, or maybe Piers Anthony (I'm thinking of his Bio of a Space Tyrant series) and David Weber.

The book is also not hard science fiction. That to me is a plus. I personally would rather pick up a physics textbook than read the characterless, pretentious, pseudo-science presented as story that hard science fiction fans seem to prefer. The styles of writing physics textbooks and hard science fiction differ little. By reading the textbook I could at least learn something applicable to the real world of science. Fortunately, this novel is centered on the plot and to a less extent on the characters than the science, of which there's so far been very little.

This book is written oddly different than most science fiction books. In many ways it resembles a mystery or suspense thriller, only placed on the wider, richer scope of a science fiction setting. For example, I can't wait to find out who really did the foul deed to the Canterbury, and how that gets uncovered!

Cheers!

message 9: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 260 comments I listened to the audiobook and enjoyed it. I might have seen an early episode of the TV series because the first part of book seemed familiar -- i.e., going to the rescue of a ship in distress -- but nothing after that. I liked Miller a lot, but Holden was far too black & white for my tastes!

message 10: by EJ (new)

EJ Fisch (ejfisch) | 6 comments I just read this at the beginning of the year and enjoyed it. Found parts of it a little hard to follow (probably because I was trying to read during lunch breaks at work and it was noisy...ugh) but I gave it a solid 4 stars. I went ahead and bought the second book and am planning on getting through it before the second season of the show airs. I enjoyed the first season too - started it right after finishing the book.

message 11: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 589 comments Remember the Cant.

message 12: by Lena (new)

Lena I was determined to binge read Leviathan Wakes today to join you guys in reading the series. When I went to purchase it Amazon informed me I had already bought it. Face palm. Yes I have read and reviewed this book. Looks like I'll spend the day giving it a quick skim before getting the next one for April.

message 13: by Lena (new)

Lena I'm enjoying my reread and watching the show as I do. It's interesting what they keep/add/change. Ade is the one who almost says I love you and there is that dramatic woman from 24 as an Earth politician. I disagree that Miller would have taken money knowing it would hurt environmental systems, it's against breed in Belterness.

message 14: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 589 comments Oh, I think Miller would take the money, if such a character exist. Like in today's times, I believe most people would take the money. When times are bad and people are desperate for survival, most will do whatever it takes.

Also, I enjoy characters that are flawed. I dislike the Super Heroes that comes to save the day or The know it all with "I told you so" and get things done.

All the characters in this series has typical human flaws.
Holden the "reluctant" hero that has a hint of human justice. Miller the detective is one that seems to have a stronger desire to solve a mystery, than fight for justice. The other characters are all fighting for a better life, from the dock workers to the business and political leaders. All the main characters are willing to do the dirty deeds to get their way.

Yes, I am a pessimist and a cynic when it comes to the human race. Probably why I like this book.

message 15: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 70 comments I just started this and am about half way through. I am really enjoying it so far. The beginning was like a mystery and left me intrigued enough to continue. When we first meet Miller and his partner, the tone of the story reminded me of a crime noir.

I don't have cable anymore so I haven't seen the series. Is it on Netflix or Hulu?

message 16: by Lena (new)

Lena I've been watching it slowly with the book on the syfy app. I think they give you a three episode pass for free.

message 17: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 70 comments You have to have a cable provider for app.

message 18: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Mickey wrote: "Oh, I think Miller would take the money, if such a character exist. Like in today's times, I believe most people would take the money. When times are bad and people are desperate for survival, most..."

That's why I prefer Spider-Man to Superman.

message 19: by Lena (new)

Lena The app is free to download to iPad/iPhone. I'm on episode Remember The Cant and probably 80% done with my reread. I just remembered that my ebook finishes at 50% and the rest is excerpts.

message 20: by Lena (new)

Lena Everyone except Amos is a little more dislikable on the show.

message 21: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 260 comments I may have to check out the series. I don't watch TV much (too busy reading!) but occasionally my husband and I will spend a night gorging on past episodes of a show. He's not much of a sci fi person so I might have to do this one on my own!

message 22: by Lena (new)

Lena Just finished my reread and I enjoyed it even more the second time. It's going to be so much fun reading the series with you all.

message 23: by Lena (new)

Lena Starting Caliban's War, hope the thread goes up soon.

message 24: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 70 comments I just finished this and I liked it. I'm about to start Caliban's War. I'm hoping it is just as good.

message 25: by Lena (new)

Lena So far so good Ruth!