Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > March 2016: The Museum of Extraordinary Things

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 3017 comments Mod
Discussion starts now!

message 2: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Ezra Torf-Fulton (brookeetf) | 1 comments "A lifetime is a lifetime whether it lasts one night or a hundred years."

I finished the book and absolutely loved Hoffman's writing style. So, when you guys are ready to talk... I'm waiting!

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina (niisku80) | 21 comments I'm also ready to discuss :) I just finished the book and I have to agree with Brooke, I loved the writing style.

message 4: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 3017 comments Mod
What a fantastical book. I was excited, happy, horrified and in love with these characters. I found myself invested in these characters well being, and wanted nothing more than the downfall of Prof. Sardie. I thought the love story between Eddie and Coralie was very romantic and fantastical; very she loves, she loves me not, but with a question mark, not a period. It was a very beautiful few moments that didn't drive the book, which I rather enjoyed!

For me, the love story of the two was not the driving story in this novel. I definitely saw the force and it was predictable that Coralie will once again stumble upon the man in the woods with the camera.. but of course. However, I saw the mystery and the character building (even though that isn't a plot based point) way more up front in this novel. Each character, and the psychology behind them, proved to be one of the more beautiful aspects of the book. The relationship and obsession Prof. Sardie has for his museum and his freaks. The background of how he never really loved anyone or anything. How his obsession reflected onto his adopted daughter, to the point where he made her into something she really was't. Coralie and her naive following. Her innocence and beauty and how she submerses herself into the water to escape reality. Her found self identity and her sudden drive to not be the obedient. Eddie and the beauty he sees in the world. His emotional attachment he has with his pup, and natural aspects in general. His drive to find the lost, dead girl so her father can have closure because he never had closure with his father. I found it all extremely real, raw and authentic.

I do however, think the ending was too rushed for my liking. (view spoiler)

I saw a handful of reviews comparing The Night Circus or Water for Elephants for the museum/circus/freakshow aspect of the novel. I have only read Gruen, so I cannot compare too much on it, but I have to say it stands tall with Water for Elephants. I really did enjoy the book. It had its ending flaws, but overall it was a very exciting read.