Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > March 2016: The Martian

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2950 comments Mod
Discussion starts now!

message 2: by Kristie (new)

Kristie I've already read this book and am in the minority. I didn't love it. I thought the storyline was good, but it got bogged down with a lot of the science/math. For me, those parts pulled me out of the story and disrupted the flow of the book. I know a lot of people loved it, it just wasn't really for me. I thought it was just ok. I look forward to seeing what other people in the group think.

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire Dobson | 15 comments I enjoyed the book more than I thought I would but have to say that the movie really brought the story to life. I'm generally much more impressed with the book than the movie.

message 4: by Teneal (new)

Teneal | 227 comments This is definitely not my normal genre and I absolutely loved it!!! I love when books have the power to do that. I'm interested to see the movie now that I've read the book. Has anyone read/seen both. How do they compare?

message 5: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 7 comments Teneal wrote: "Has anyone read/seen both. How do they compare? "

I thought the movie was great. It was as faithful to the novel as it it needed to be, and in some ways was significantly better. I'd definitely recommend giving it a watch.