Medical Reads discussion

New? > Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maryam (new)

Maryam (surgeryresidentreads) | 4 comments Mod
Welcome, new members! Please stop in and introduce yourselves. We're looking forward to getting to know you.

If you don't know where to start, feel free to answer these questions:
- Where are you from?
- What kinds of books do you like to read?
- Do you have a medical background?
- Are you a student?
- How did you find our group?

message 2: by Maryam (new)

Maryam (surgeryresidentreads) | 4 comments Mod
Kitty wrote: "Hello! I like reading non fiction books and thought this group sounded interesting. I am a student of religious studies and I'm currently writing an essay on euthanasia. I'm quite interested in the..."

Hi! Glad to have you part of the group. One of my main reasons for forming this group was to have a place to discuss the ethical side of medicine! Looks like you have quite a few book suggestions on this topic. Are you using any specific books as reference material for your essay on euthanasia?

message 3: by IC (new)

IC | 3 comments Hi, everyone, I have a medical background and have recently stumbled upon Me Before You and Still Alice books; my previous 'medical' fiction was The Fault in Our Stars. Are there any more works out there of similar depth and quality?? Thanks, IC

message 4: by Jeffrey (last edited Mar 13, 2017 10:01AM) (new)

Jeffrey Hatcher | 1 comments Greetings,
I am interested in communicating with future psychiatrists, esp. the ones who have not yet decided on that track in life. I have a PhD in physical anthropology. I also have a PhD in falling over and convulsing. I have authored a book explicitly targeting premeds and meds (http://eac.eu.com/epilepsy-hatcher/) in hopes of interesting them in the science and practice of epileptology.

My "real" PhD is in wildlife molecular genetics - which I have mainly left behind. Population genetics, of any kind, has theory in common with epidemiology.

My medically oriented interests lay mainly in the nature of memory and cognition. I have recently reviewed "The Power of Different" by G. Saltz, "Team Charlie" by M. Lages; and "Setting the River on Fire" by K.R. Jamison. All are close to my own writing, "Tacking on the Styx". All, including my own, deal with the psychology of mental disorders and how afflicted people interact with society or with the medical community. I am particularly impressed with Lages and Saltz.

Medical students need to absorb as much patient-written material as time between exams allows. A good amount of quality material is out there, and Goodreads may be the right place to sift through it all.

My preplanned future lies (life allowing) in writing science fiction which is another reason I am attracted to a group like this one. I always want inspiration, but I like to keep material fairly close to reality as well. I enjoy researching topics.

message 5: by Jana (new)

Jana Rieger Hello everyone,

I'm happy to have found this group. I'm from Edmonton, where I've been a health researcher for the past 20 years, focusing on head and neck cancer. During that time, I've had the opportunity to delve into the realities of medical research, both good and bad. It's an area that has intrigued me and that I've spent the last 8 years writing a story about.

I like reading all kinds of books, mostly fiction and poetry. I have a fairly eclectic collection that includes books like Still Alice, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Breakfast with Buddha. Rumi is, by far, my favorite poet.

message 6: by Maya (new)

Maya Iftikhar | 1 comments Jeffrey wrote: "Greetings,
I am interested in communicating with future psychiatrists, esp. the ones who have not yet decided on that track in life. I have a PhD in physical anthropology. I also have a PhD in fal..."

woah there u hav a gr8 bundle of achievements hats off!!!! I AM A 4TH YR MED STUDENT FRM PAKISTAN ... im not sure what specialization im gonna choose after im done ...i consired psychiatry once bt it felt too complicated ....so consider me in ....

message 7: by Imalah (new)

Imalah  Akhund (imalahakhund) | 4 comments Hello! I am a 4th year medical student from Pakistan. I like to read mostly non-fiction such as religion, self-help, history, physician writing and memoirs.
I am so excited I found this group. I was searching for a book club related to medicine and sciency stuff, when I found this book. I am currently reading When Breath Becomes Air and plan to read Being Mortal next. I read Like a hole in the head by Ivan Noble this year which I really loved so I am looking forward to reading more of related stuff.
Sorry if I sound rude but I have question... why hasn't the book club been not active?

message 8: by IC (new)

IC | 3 comments We probably haven't been active because there isn't that many books that interest us around... plus busy with work and assorted studies... Another one that could be of interest is the first book by Christopher Reeve, written after he became a ventilator dependent quadriplegic, called Still Me by Christopher Reeve.

message 9: by Imalah (new)

Imalah  Akhund (imalahakhund) | 4 comments Thanks for the recommendation, IC! I'll check it out.

message 10: by Imalah (new)

Imalah  Akhund (imalahakhund) | 4 comments I came across a similar book club on twitter a few days ago, if anyone's they are some book recommedations there.
https://twitter.com/DoctorsBookClub?s=08

message 12: by Fares (new)

Fares (faresalahdab) | 1 comments Hi everyone! Is this group still active? Would love to join you folks.
I’m an MD MSc who love to read a lot of things but particularly enjoy medical humanities.

message 13: by Sarah Watson (new)

Sarah Watson | 1 comments Hey y'all... my name is Sarah, and I worked in the medical field for seven years, and have always love reading about medical history.

message 14: by Dr. (new)

Dr. McAnonymous | 1 comments Hello! I just wrote The Lady Whose Mouth I Set on Fire: True Tales from the ED. I have practiced as an ED MD for 30 years now and have run across lots of very interesting things from plane crashes, gunshots and heart attacks. https://www.DrMcAnonymous.com

message 15: by Ujjwal (new)

Ujjwal | 1 comments - Where are you from? =India
- Are you a student? =Final year Med student
- What kinds of books do you like to read? = Sci-fic ,Fantasy.
Currently reading-How Doctors Think
by Jerome Groopman.

message 16: by Mobina (new)

Mobina Taghva (mobinataghva) | 1 comments Hi! I'm new here, I'm a fourth year medical student in Iran, I'm interested in medicine and especially neuroscience, I enjoy reading books about doctor's memoirs and critical thinking in medicine. so I've joined this group to communicate with you guys and find books I wish to find, easier!

message 17: by Chiarabernizone (new)

Chiarabernizone | 1 comments Hi! I’m a fourth year medical student from Italy. I like reading historical novels and I’m very interested in medicine, particularly in infectious diseases. I’m currently reading spillover by David Quammen

message 18: by SUHAIB_ (new)

SUHAIB_ Al_RUMI (suhaib_al_rumi) | 1 comments Hello Everyone,
I’m Suhaib from Iraq.l’m a medical student.
I like reading medicine, nonfiction, history books