Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > March's Non-Linda Book of the Month-Lady Be Good by

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments A British Lady

Lady Emma Wells-Finch, the oh-so-proper headmistressof England's St. Gertrude's School for Girls, is a woman on a mission—she has two weeks to lose her reputation. Arriving in Texas with skirts flying, umbrella pointing, and beautiful mouth issuing orders, she knows only one thing will save her from losing everything she holds dear: complete and utter disgrace!

A Texas Rascal

World-famous playboy-athlete Kenny Traveler has kickedup his boot heels one too many times, and now he's suspended from the sport he loves. Only one thing will restore his career:complete and utter respectability! Unfortunately, he's been blackmailed into chauffeuring bossy, single-minded Lady Emma, and she's hell-bent on visiting honkytonks,chasing down tattoo parlors, and worse.. lots worse.

Love, All-American Style

When a gorgeous man who can't afford another scandal meets a hardheaded woman who's determined to cause one, anything can happen. But love? Oh, dear. That's impossible.That's outrageous. That's... inevitable!

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am looking forward to reading this book. I already have it, I just have to finish the book I am reading now.

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments Just picked this up from the library...

message 4: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Looking forward to reading Lady Be Good (love its title).
I plan to start next weekend.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I just finished it a little bit ago, and I have to say that even if it is a reread for me I laughed my butt off. I especially loved (view spoiler)

message 6: by Eve (last edited Mar 06, 2016 04:00AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Oh, yes, that scene between Torrie and Lady Emma was priceless.
I've read this book in 2014, so its good to reread it. I remember that there were lots of laugh-out-loud situations when Lady E tried to ruin her reputation, like her shopping trip or when she got herself a "tatoo".

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I loved the tattoo. when she say the huge flag and under it was Kenny in big bold letters. That was like the commercial that gives a price for something. I definitely think that was priceless

message 8: by Marika (new)

Marika | 78 comments I really love this story!
When Kenny see’s Emma with her perky little hat and her brolly I just knew that this is going to be something special. Lady Emma was so much fun to get to know: she was sweet, yet bossy, funny and proper. It was fun watching Kenny squirm.
Love all those scenes mentioned above.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 138 comments I need to pick this one up at the library! I'm a little behind schedule, but I'll catch up. It sounds like a good one!

message 10: by Dee (last edited Mar 08, 2016 10:27PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I think you will love it, Becky. When I am tired of reading deep, heavy plots one of the books I look for are SEP's books. They always give me a good laugh.

message 11: by Eve (last edited Mar 09, 2016 12:39AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Dee wrote: "I think you will love it, Becky. When I am tired of reading deep, heavy plots one of the books I look for are SEP's books. They always give me a good laugh."

I do exactly the same thing. I've discovered that books by SEP and Linda Howard can be therapeutic!

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments They do that.

message 13: by Marika (new)

Marika | 78 comments The scene with Kenny and Petey at the baby diaper derby was so heartbreaking. At first it was funny seeing Kenny pushing up his baby brother's competition against the other babies, Kenny coaching him to give his best and to make them play his game because "nothing comes between a Traveler and athletic glory". Then Kenny realized what he was doing to his baby brother and that he has started to act like their father (making him earn his love by winning on the athletic field).
This scene makes you wonder how much parents push their little children to achieve more and more and more, and if they don't get to be the best, then what happens to young people and their self-esteem.
I liked how Kenny realized his mistake and learned from it.

message 14: by Dee (last edited Mar 12, 2016 08:20PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Oh I did too Marika. I think that was when I really loved that man. Before he was just a good-time Charlie to me. I mean he might have cared for Emma, but I didn't see any real substance to the man before the derby race.

message 15: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Kenny certainly had to face some hard truths about himself and how easily you can repeat the same mistakes your parent did. Glad that he made truth with his father as well. I like when characters grow and learn throughout the story.

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I think that is one thing I like about SEP's books

message 17: by Marika (last edited Mar 14, 2016 12:04AM) (new)

Marika | 78 comments I definitely like SEP's books very much. Her writing style is very good, it moves on swiftly and held your attention till the end.
I really love how SEP takes flawed characters and turn them into someone you end caring and loving. They grow. They learn from their mistakes. They become better persons.
Lady Emma has become one of my favorite characters. I love bossy women. I also love Mary Poppins and I like hints to that story.
Don't think that I've met hero like Kenny before. How someone can be so lazy??? I believe that he was described as "snail on the sleeping pills" :D

message 18: by Eve (last edited Mar 14, 2016 04:32AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I imagine Kenny could look like this:

description

It was funny how Kenny's handsomeness was balanced with him being lazy and even a little dimwitted. That "snail on the sleeping drugs" sounded very appropriate description for him.

Regarding Mary Poppins, liked this scene:
"Really? You think I look like Madonna?"
"You don't look anything like Madonna." He lowered his voice to a growl that only she could hear. "What you look like is a nymphomaniac Mary Poppins..."

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments I think I have a love/not so love relationship with SEP's books. There are times when I really love what's going on and then it gets to be just too much for me and I need a break because my "ridiculousness" quotient has been met.

Her characters have good quirky elements which make them unique but I'm currently only half in this book and I actually haven't felt the love for Kenny.

message 20: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I like it when authors take characters you usually don't care for and start moulding them. The same with Kenny -- he was spoiled brat; too rich and vain for his own good, yet, it was interesting to read about him and see changes in him.
Also liked the secondary characters, Kenny's sister Tori and Dex. Did not like the Duke nor Kenny's father one bit.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I so agree with you Eve. I really liked Dex. I thought he was so comfortable in his skin and that was something Tori really needed from a husband . I really like your Kenny pic. I could really see him in that role. What do you think Emma, Tori and Dex would look like?

message 22: by Eve (last edited Mar 15, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Kenny was resambled to look like Pierce Brosnan, so it was pretty easy to imagine how he would look like. I haven't imagined how Emma, Tori and Dex would look like. Any ideas?

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments Dee wrote: "I so agree with you Eve. I really liked Dex. I thought he was so comfortable in his skin and that was something Tori really needed from a husband . I really like your Kenny pic. I could really see ..."

Dex was by far my favorite character in this book although Teddy seemed pretty "cool" for a young guy. I liked how he treated his mom in the golf scene. Actually the golf scene (at the end) was my favorite part of the book.

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am going to have to think about it. Way too tired tonight, maybe tomorrow afternoon. This week has been really hectic and it is going to continue all week long.

message 25: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Ted "Teddy" Beaudine appears in several Wynette, Texas series books. In fact he has book of his own:

Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas #6) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Call Me Irresistible

message 26: by Marika (new)

Marika | 78 comments I havent read Call Me Irresistible, have to order it ASAP. Liked Teddy and cant' wait to read more about him.

message 27: by Marika (new)

Marika | 78 comments Like CD, I didn't felt the love for Kenny because he seemed like arrogant and selfish jerk, but at the end I quite liked him. Lady Emma definitely bamboozled his life. Liked that Emma didnt' instantly fell for his super-handsome looks. It happens too often that the heroine sees handsome guy, and feels insta-love.

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments Marika wrote: "Like CD, I didn't felt the love for Kenny because he seemed like arrogant and selfish jerk, but at the end I quite liked him. Lady Emma definitely bamboozled his life. Liked that Emma didnt' instan..."

Agree with you, Lady Emma saw beneath the surface of his good looks.

message 29: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1581 comments Eve wrote: "Ted "Teddy" Beaudine appears in several Wynette, Texas series books. In fact he has book of his own:

Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas #6) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Call Me Irresistible"

Teddy does not turn out like you think he will or with who everyone wanted him with. Loved his book. Must read these books in order though to get his full fall from grace.

message 30: by Eve (last edited Mar 22, 2016 05:28AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Anita wrote: "Teddy does not turn out like you think he will or with who everyone wanted him with. Loved his book. Must read these books in order though to get his full fall from grace. "

Oh, yes.
I read Call Me Irresistible before Lady Be Good and then Lady E and other townfolk seemed to be soo cruel to poor Meg, including Ted! But still it was great book with some interesting character development. Must read CMI now that I've recently read Lady Be Good.

message 31: by Marika (new)

Marika | 78 comments I ordered paperback copy of Call Me Irresistible and it should arrive beginning of April. Can't wait to read it.

message 32: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Marika wrote: "I ordered paperback copy of Call Me Irresistible and it should arrive beginning of April. Can't wait to read it."

I think you will enjoy it, Marika.

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I know I enjoyed it Marika

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 138 comments Hey Ladies!

I loved this book...talk about fun to read! It was my first SEP book and definitely not my last! Thankfully, my library has all of the Wynette, Texas series and more. Sometimes a girl just needs a fluffy, laugh a minute romance!

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am so with you Becky. She is such a fun author.

message 36: by Eve (last edited Mar 28, 2016 03:32AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "Hey Ladies!

I loved this book...talk about fun to read! It was my first SEP book and definitely not my last! Thankfully, my library has all of the Wynette, Texas series and more. Sometimes a girl ..."

So glad that you loved this book, Becky.
I think that SEP is one of the authors that deserves to be checked out. She writes very good romantic comedy but her books can be pretty heart-wreching as well. Definitely worth to try more by her. And don't be afraid if some character seem to be quite unlikeable at first, SEP will work her magic and gives very good character development.

message 37: by Eve (last edited Mar 28, 2016 03:33AM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I am currently experimenting with photo editors, and this is what I came up with Lady Be Good.

description
description

And little plea to dear SEP:
description

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I love it, all the photos and I quite agree with Puss n Boots

message 39: by Marika (new)

Marika | 78 comments Just finished Call Me Irresistible

I absolutely loved this one also!

This book greated so many different emotions and that is what I expect when reading a book. I wanted to smack Ted more than once because he acted like bada$$ at the beginning (not that other people in that town treated Meg better! Though my compliments go for Victoria!).

I agree with Anita: Teddy does not turn out like you think he will or with who everyone wanted him with. His fall from the grace was unexpected but it was necessary and in the end everything turned out well (like always in romance novels!).

message 40: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Glad to hear that you enjoyed Call Me Irresistible. I was also feeling like smacking Ted. You should also check out The Great Escape. (Its Lucy's story).

message 41: by Dee (last edited Apr 12, 2016 08:31PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I agree with you Marika. I also wanted to smack Ted. I mean after all if Lucy left Ted at the alter I would have to believe it was better then than later, maybe after a few kids. What I didn't understand was how everyone in town blamed Meg. Didn't anyone have a bleeping brain in their heads.

message 42: by Eve (last edited Apr 12, 2016 10:47PM) (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Dee wrote: "I agree with you Marika. I also wanted to smack Ted. I mean after all if Lucy left Ted at the alter I would have to believe it was better then than later, maybe after a few kids. What I didn't unde..."

Yep, you would think that Lucy did Ted a big favour and saved him from cold and loveless marriage. But he (and everyone else in town, sans Victoria!) started to blame Meg instead! Only mean and heartless people would act like this!

But then human beings are fallible and even The Mightiest of Them All, AKA Ted Beaudine can be mistaken and fall from grace with big bang :D

Well I guess as Lucy run away, then Meg was the easiest target for their hostility. But perhaps without Meg's meddling Lucy and Ted would have had happy, loving and lasting marriage? So Meg WAS to blame for her interference. Even if a little bit. Yet as they say: "All's fair in love and war".

Ohh, I just love SEP's books.

message 43: by Dee (last edited Apr 16, 2016 09:10PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments If you have read the First Lady my guess is that Lucy had a real inferiority complex that she was able to hide but manifested in itself when she got engaged to Ted.

I can't believe they would have ever been right for each other. It has been awhile since I have read Call Me Irresistible, but I don't think Meg said all that much to Lucy to talk her out of marrying Ted. If I remember correctly, it was something like are you sure? A women that was really in love with a man would not be talked out of getting married by something that inane. Also, Meg had no designs on Ted until she was stuck in that town for a few months.

message 44: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Who knows? Perhaps Meg's question "Are You Sure?" was just final drop and Lucy finally felt free to escape?
I remember that lots of small-town busybodies were happily reminding Lucy that she's not right woman for Ted, she didn't actually know him and Ted was marrying "down". Meg was not the only one who had trouble with the townpeople.
I really liked that author developed Meg and Ted's relationship gradually -- the growing attraction between our hero and heroine was well drawn and credible.

message 45: by Dee (last edited Apr 16, 2016 09:21PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I so agree, Eve. If their romance would have been fast the book wouldn't have been any good. I also like that Meg had to pull herself out of her trouble all by herself. I love women that are strong! This is one of the things SEP does so well.

message 46: by Marika (new)

Marika | 78 comments I also enjoyed that romance between Meg and Ted was not rushed or too fast. This way it was more gratifying.
I also enjoyed how Meg had to get along all by herself and find her inner strength and finally grow up. I enjoy strong and sassy women. It was funny how townpeople later praised Meg on how brave and how good worker she was and how well she fit into the town life. And during Meg's self-determination process Ted also found himself.
Epilogue was very good. I already ordered Lucy's story, The Great Escape.

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Although I liked Meg and Ted's story better I think you will like the Great Escape