Oh Canada discussion

Muskokan Female YA Sci-Fi Author

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Beau Does anyone know the name of a woman who wrote young adult sci-fi and lived in Muskoka, Ontario in the 80s?

I met her as a child and want to re-read some of her books, but cannot recall her name. This is such a long-shot, but I'm determined to find this author's books!

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin No, sorry. I didn't read y/a scifi in the 80s, and even in the 70s read adult scifi as I was growing up. When I googled Muskoka with various search words, it was to no avail. Do you have any other memories of her books?

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Beau Karin wrote: "No, sorry. I didn't read y/a scifi in the 80s, and even in the 70s read adult scifi as I was growing up. When I googled Muskoka with various search words, it was to no avail. Do you have any other ..."
I don't have any other memories that help, sadly. Thank you for checking. My googling didn't help either. I was hoping someone would have posted something along the lines of "What's the name of that author from Muskoka who wrote sci-fi in the 80s?". I will check with friends of parents to see if I can jog loose a name from their memories.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 14, 2016 11:16AM) (new)

Could it be Karen Wehrstein?

Here's a page on authors from Muskoka

http://www.openbookontario.com/news/c...

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Beau That's not her; however, thanks for that link!

message 6: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (shumpgullion) | 1 comments You could also try using the advanced search on the Internet Speculative Fiction Database and see if you get lucky. You can search for author based on birthplace, so you could either put in "Ontario" and scan the big list to see if any names ring a bell, or try putting in town names from around Muskoka one by one and see what you get. It's a long shot, but who knows?

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason Beau Thanks everyone for your help. I checked with a family friend, who happens to have been the town's head librarian, and discovered the author is Margaret Goff Clark. While not a Canadian, she did vacation in Muskoka.