Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Awards > Same award, new name due to sponsorship

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Antonomasia (last edited Mar 02, 2016 08:31PM) (new)

Antonomasia | 508 comments http://www.thebookseller.com/news/sam...

No longlist to add for that just now, but this happens quite a lot in the UK, and I wondered what was supposed to be done.

Practice isn't consistent: generally you've got the same page when awards changed names before Goodreads was very active. eg the Man Booker Prize pages list awards from when it was only the Booker Prize, before Man Group sponsored it. Or maybe just because the name is similar enough?
Meanwhile, the Orange Prize directs to a new page for the Women's Prize for Fiction,
https://www.goodreads.com/award/show/...
although it was only called that for one year and has been the Baileys Prize for two years now (longlist announced next week.)

It is a shame there isn't a better system for this to display the continuity, but I guess it was set up for US awards which don't seem to have these sorts of corporate demands for name changes.

message 2: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 508 comments The Baileys Prize 2016 Longlist is announced in just over an hour - bumping this question, especially re. the naming of that prize on Goodreads.

message 3: by Renske (new)

Renske | 10667 comments It is indeed one of those limits of the system for the awards. A better system would be the best, but until then we should have guidelines to deal with such changes. I call it guidelines because I don't think there can be a policy that fits all cases. There are more changes of award names, not only due to sponsorship.

Solutions I have seen:
1) Use of an official award name without the sponsor, if there is such name.
2) Adding both sponsors to the name.
3) Using the current name only.
4) Separate award pages.

2 Can become cluttered if there are long names or several changes.
3 I have only done that with awards who have their current name for a longer time, but the first edition(s) had a different name (or one that had a change in the middle, but went back to the first name after two years)

message 4: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 508 comments Are you retaining the name Women's Prize for Fiction although everywhere it's now talked about as the Baileys Prize? Someone has added the new longlist as "Women's Prize" already unfortunately so it will be some work to change it. I don't think there's a master change is there, like changing an author name will change it on all their works?

message 5: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Yup, you can merge one award wholesale into another.

message 6: by Renske (last edited Mar 08, 2016 08:54AM) (new)

Renske | 10667 comments Antonomasia wrote: "Are you retaining the name Women's Prize for Fiction although everywhere it's now talked about as the Baileys Prize? Someone has added the new longlist as "Women's Prize" already unfortunately so i..."

It is perhaps not the best solution for this specific award, but for an other award it was the best way as the official names were more similar. My list was more intended for a general discussion about the issue than for the solution for this award.