Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Classic Bingo Challenge > Kimberly's Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Mar 06, 2016 07:16PM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge, Kimberly. And you have a great start so far -- 3 books already.

Collections of short stories are not usually my favorite, so I agree that this challenge is nice that it forces me also out of my comfort zone.

message 2: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Great start! I'm not keen on short stories either, but also try to read out of my comfort zone envy once in a while. I'm currently trying The Martian Chronicles, for our March short story read, even though sci-fi isn't my thing. I'm also reading Ulysses at the moment, which in a way is also like a book of short stories, as the style is so different in each chapter. It's great to try new things though.

Good luck with the rest of your challenge :)

message 3: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Kimberly wrote: "My next book will be "Cry, the Beloved Country" for Classic of Africa."

Good luck, I thought that was a great book.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Kimberly wrote: ""Dubliners" was a not very interesting book of short stories. Normally I don't read short stories, so this challenge has at least helped me to read outside of my comfort zone.

[bookcover:Dubliners..."

I used it for my short story collection too. I figure James Joyce is so tough (for me, at least) that short stories was a good way to go. I liked several of them a lot, but a few were just too dark and depressing...

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Nice reads, Kimberly. You are doing well so far in this challenge.

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Kimberly wrote: "Now, I'm reading "Dracula". Somehow I've never read it, and it's not at all what I expected."

It wasn't what I expected either and although it was slow in places I ended up loving it.

message 7: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I think it's more vampirish at the beginning, then it become more like a romance mystery thriller, if there is such a thing!

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Pink wrote: "I think it's more vampirish at the beginning, then it become more like a romance mystery thriller, if there is such a thing!"

Gothic!

message 9: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Yes that would be it!

message 10: by Nargus (last edited Apr 16, 2016 09:47PM) (new)

Nargus | 567 comments Glad to hear you enjoyed reading Uncle Tom's Cabin Kimberly. And thanks for the reminder :) that's a book I'd like to get to sometime soon.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I couldn't get past the first couple of pages. I just didn't want to read several pages of description about a tunnel.

Kudos to you for completing this.

message 12: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Kimberly wrote: "William Faulkner was a Nobel Laureate, so I read, "As I Lay Dying". I was not a fan in the least, and the entire subject of the book just seemed really odd. ]"

Well I won't worry about reading that one soon then. :(

message 13: by Nargus (last edited May 17, 2016 08:39PM) (new)

Nargus | 567 comments Yes, classics have that general recommendation to them. But you might be more inclined to read something when it's recommended or praised by people you come across (including people on Goodreads, and even articles, recommended lists, etc). And if it's not been recommended by people you've come across, then it may remain on your TBR list, but without that urgency or inclination to read it. Not a hard and fast rule at all, because we don't know what we'll pick up next :) Sometimes, or most of the time, it can be instinctive.

So who knows, there might be someone around the corner who says that they loved As I Lay Dying, and then that makes us reconsider :)

message 14: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Yep, that's precisely what I thought about it!

message 15: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Kimberly wrote: ""The Communist Manifesto" was a short book but a boring book. Marx did a whole lot of whining about the fact that some people have more money and power than other people. The fact that this book le..."

Exactly! I really liked this book, but it left me wanting to read others with opposing viewpoints. I agree it's always good to read things that you don't necessarily agree with. I don't like to get too comfortable with my reading, well at least not all of the time!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Kimberly, were you unaware of what "Lolita" was about?

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Uncle Tom's Cabin (other topics)