Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Nominations > May 2016 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexa (last edited Mar 02, 2016 07:03PM) (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments It's time to open up nominations for May! Our theme for this month is
"The Early Classics - books by women written before 1800."

Have you been dying to read some of the earliest works by women? Then this is the month for you!

There are restrictions to what you can nominate:
1) Nominations are limited to a maximum of two per person,
2) The book must have been written or first published before 1800,
3) It can't previously have been read by the group, and
4) It must be written by a woman.

Please state whether you are available to lead the discussion for your nomination.

Looking forward to your nominations!

message 2: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1135 comments Mod
Evelina by Fanny Burney. Can lead.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 304 comments ☯Emily wrote: "Evelina by Fanny Burney. Can lead."

Exactly what I wanted to nominate:-)

message 4: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments I would love to read The Tale of Genji. "Written in the eleventh century, this portrait of courtly life in medieval Japan is widely celebrated as the world's first novel."

Which I could also lead.

message 5: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

Alexa wrote: "I would love to read The Tale of Genji. "Written in the eleventh century, this portrait of courtly life in medieval Japan is widely celebrated as the world's first novel."

Which I coul..."

We would probably need 2-3 months for this!

message 6: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments I would also love to read The Book of the City of Ladies - we all need more medieval writing in our lives!

And I can also lead this.

message 7: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments ☯Emily wrote: "We would probably need 2-3 months for this!"

Ah, but it would be time well-spent! Think of the satisfaction! ;)

message 8: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 654 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate Poems on Various Subjects, Religious and Moral. I can lead if it wins.

message 9: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

Anastasia wrote: "I'd like to nominate Poems on Various Subjects, Religious and Moral. I can lead if it wins."

I had thought about Phyllis Wheatley, but wasn't sure the poems were in print.

message 10: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

I'm not sure that I am up to leading a discussion of this book. However, it is well-known and was the reason Jane Austen wrote Northanger Abbey. The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe

message 11: by Mizzou (last edited Mar 06, 2016 03:47PM) (new)

Mizzou | 177 comments This is not a recommendation for the May reading selection, but it is a recommendation that when you all turn your attention to works by women written before 1800, you include Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, who lived from 1651 to 1695. She is called Sor (Sister) because she became a nun because she loved books (she learned to read at age three!), and the only way for a woman to gain access to books was to take up the religious vocation. (*The ONLY other career that was open to women, then, was matrimony.) Ever since I read a redondilla of hers, Contra las Injusticias de los Hombres al Hablar de las mujeres, long years ago, I have felt a spiritual bond with her. The poem is about how men want a woman to be both a Thais and a Lucrecia, all at the same time! There is a Penguin edition of Juana's writings, translated into English, entitled Poems, Protest, and a Dream.

message 12: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments Oh, she looks fascinating! Why not nominate her?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 315 comments Mizzou, thank you for bringing Sor Juana to my attention.

I am doing a bingo challenge with one of the classics groups and I need to read something published in 1600s.

Ive already read Don Quixote last year (Blech! What a mistake that was!) also published in that century.

What a miracle! My library has two copies of Sr Juana's collected works.

message 14: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments Another woman who wrote in the 16oo's that I've always wanted to read is Aphra Behn. So, so many, so little time!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 315 comments Alexa, thank you for bringing Aphra Behn to my attention.

I'm going to add her as well.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 352 comments ☯Emily wrote: "
I had thought about Phyllis Wheatley, but wasn't sure the poems were ..."

This is availaible free on Kindle. :)

Love all the nominations so far!

message 17: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

Carol ♪ Blinded by the Light ♪ GR Background wrote: "☯Emily wrote: "
I had thought about Phyllis Wheatley, but wasn't sure the poems were ..."

This is availaible free on Kindle. :)

Love all the nominations so far!"

Thanks, but I don't use Kindle.

message 18: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments And the poll is up! Come vote - https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 19: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 52 comments ☯Emily wrote: "Thanks, but I don't use Kindle. ."

Do you read online in your browser? If so, here is her " Religious and Moral Poems."

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/4...

message 20: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

Everyman wrote: "☯Emily wrote: "Thanks, but I don't use Kindle. ."

Do you read online in your browser? If so, here is her " Religious and Moral Poems."

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/4..."

Thanks. It is a very small font, but it is good to know it is there.