Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Monthly Book Reads > March 2016- Breakfast of Champions

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments March 2016 'comedy' read

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments I read this a few years ago so I won't be joining this one. I am not a big Vonnegut fan but I liked this one best of the few I have read.

message 3: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
I am also not a huge Vonnegut fan, so we'll see how this goes. I plan on reading a soon. Anyone joining?

message 4: by Kaycie (new)

Has anyone else read this?

As I was fearing, I didn't particularly like it. I don't like Vonnegut's style or plot lines normally, and it seemed like for this book he said "screw it" and went all in with weirdness and not caring about conventional "writing" and plot development techniques.

I read it on audiobook due to an overwhelming backlog of paper books, but this is one that may have warranted the undivided attention of a physical read. I found the plot strange and confusing and, though it is meant to be that way, I can't help but feel I missed things due to audio versus paper reading. Also, in reading a summary afterwards, I see also that there were illustrations I missed.

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments I am with you about his style. Is this the one in which he keeps repeating "And so it goes"? To be frank, all his books have somewhat blurred together in my mind...

message 6: by Kaycie (new)

Leslie wrote: "I am with you about his style. Is this the one in which he keeps repeating "And so it goes"? To be frank, all his books have somewhat blurred together in my mind..."

"So it goes" was Slaughterhouse 5, which I also didn't like. The main character in this book was in both, though, so it's meant to blur...

I know people that just love Vonnegut, but I can't find the appeal. This book was recommended to me as "life-changing" but I don't see it at all. Oh well, so it goes...

message 7: by Kaycie (new)

Oh, fun fact, "so it goes" is apparently the most popular literary tattoo, so here must have a huge following...

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments I am curious about who is reading this other than you Kaycie. I didn't vote for this but it won the poll so somebody must have. I find the lack of participation in these group reads discouraging - particularly when it is a book that I didn't want to read in the first place.

I wish that people would at least say that they were reading the book... otherwise I am left with the sense that the whole nominating and polling business is a pointless exercise.

message 9: by Kaycie (new)

Leslie wrote: "I am curious about who is reading this other than you Kaycie. I didn't vote for this but it won the poll so somebody must have. I find the lack of participation in these group reads discouraging - ..."

I agree, Leslie. There were several months when, even with low participation, the people who voted for the books were reading them. I know I voted for this and I did read it, but I was also hoping for company. I'll actually post the new polls and stress that voters should participate in the monthly reads.

message 10: by Dave (new)

Dave (dtheurer) | 12 comments I just finished White Noise which featured a similar theme as that of Breakfast of Champions. Both authors seem to believe than in a capitalist economy consumers are just herd of cattle being bombarded by marketing departments on their way to the slaughterhouse. To some extent I would agree there is some over the top cradle-to-grave efforts but, does anybody really believe, "cant be a man because he doesn't smoke the same cigarette as me"?

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Dave wrote: "I just finished White Noise which featured a similar theme as that of Breakfast of Champions. Both authors seem to believe than in a capitalist economy consumers are just herd of cattle being bomba..."

I would have said no if you had asked me "does anybody really believe, "cant be a man because he doesn't smoke the same cigarette as me"?" last year or earlier. Now with Donald Trump heading towards the White House, I am not so sure... marketing/advertising seems to be winning the day :(

Sorry if I have offended anyone...

message 12: by Dave (new)

Dave (dtheurer) | 12 comments Leslie wrote: "Dave wrote: "I just finished White Noise which featured a similar theme as that of Breakfast of Champions. Both authors seem to believe than in a capitalist economy consumers are just herd of cattl..."

Interesting observation...history has had its share of snake oil salesmen but seems to me that is not unique to capitalism...more of a function of ill-informed populace. Inherent danger to democracy is that "anybody" can be elected.