Play Book Tag discussion

The Girl on the Train
This topic is about The Girl on the Train
March 2016: Mystery Thriller > The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments This psychological thriller is quite a ride, a real roller coaster ride with red herrings and unreliable narrators at every twist and turn. It did get off to a slow start for me and I didn't like a single character.

I nearly abandoned the book early, but once it picked up speed I couldn't put it down. I also thought the premise, the writing and the organization of alternating view points were excellent. Overall though it just didn't live up to the hype for me.

Susie | 4488 comments It didn't love up to the hype for me either. I guessed the plot quite early on. I think there are much better thrillers out there. Before I Go To Sleep was more enjoyable for me.

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1264 comments I didn't like this book at all. I thought it was so boring. I read it for book club so I kept reading it even though I wanted to stop nearly as soon as I started.

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments Thanks you two. I was afraid I was going to be the only one not giving this 4 or 5 stars.

Susie | 4488 comments I think I gave it 3 too.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I actually really liked this book -- I listened to the audio. One reason that I liked it was because of the differing viewpoints. A character would observe another character and make lots of assumptions. When you see the event from the other character, most of the assumptions were completely wrong.

It really illustrates how eye witnesses can walk away with completely different stories. I also thought that having one of the main characters be unreliable and not really trusting herself was interesting.

However, if you have high expectations, it's sometimes hard for a book to live up to them. I find this more so with mystery/thrillers.

Brandy (romansgirl) | 87 comments I also listened to the audio on this one and I loved it. None of the characters were likable but I really did start rooting for Rachel. I wanted her to overcome her self-destruction.

Lynn L | 87 comments I listened to this book on audio. I did like it, but I wanted to shake Rachel. Her self destructive ways were so frustrating for me. While driving I would shout at her to stop, just stop. Her ex-husband was a creep.

message 9: by Flo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 145 comments I honestly couldn't get into this book because it was slow until the last 50 pages, and also because Rachel was just so frustrating. She just kept up the same bad habits and the same stuff destroying her life and I was just like "STOP." I honestly couldn't sympathize with her (or anyone else) at all, so I forced myself to finish it and only gave it three stars instead of two because of the last 50 pages.

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments I always have a hard time with books where I don't like the main characters.