1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up discussion

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
Monthly Book Club > May 2014: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alison | 6 comments Hi everyone!

Just wanted to get this thread started. I'm looking forward to reading this this month. I'll be back with an outline as soon as I pick the book up tonight :D

Alison

message 2: by Tiffany, Former moderator, current lurker (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tiffany | 213 comments Mod
Yay! Everyone (well, a lot of people) on Goodreads is shocked that I never read this book as a young girl -- It's as if I didn't do my young-girlhood properly -- so I'm excited to read it :)

message 3: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited May 04, 2014 08:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 36 comments Tiffany I too haven't read it in my youth. I've read the Fudge books but this book wasn't on my to read list. I was a Tomboy anyway, so this book wouldn't have been on my to read list as a child. I am excited to read it now. :)

Alison | 6 comments How wonderful :) I havn't read it before either!!! This will be a grand adventure.

So I will post my thoughts after each chapter and everyone can jump in with whatever stands out to you as we go along.

May 1-6: Chapters 1-5
May 7-12: Chapters 6-10
May 13-18: Chapters 11-15
May 19-24: Chapters 16-20
May 25-30: Chapters 21-25
May 31: Wrap Up

That gives me one chapter a day plus a day off in case something comes up in every six day period. I will be listening to the audiobook version because the print book is marked lost at my library branch.

I'll try and get my Chapter 1 post up tonight :)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 36 comments I couldn't help it. I read the book today. I couldn't do a chapter a day, it was very difficult to wait. Don't worry I will make sure not to spoil it for anyone with the discussions and okay keep it to the chapters the were stated.

It was a fun read.

message 6: by Melissa (last edited May 12, 2014 07:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa Coyle | 16 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I couldn't help it. I read the book today. I couldn't do a chapter a day, it was very difficult to wait. Don't worry I will make sure not to spoil it for anyone with the discussions and okay kee..."

Tiffany, I also read this book for the first and in one sitting and what a relative book to preteen girls. I think this book is a must read for these young ladies. Lets them know they are not alone with these relevant questions for their age group. Also as an adult and mother, this story was a wonderful, gentle reminder what goes on in the mind and body of a 6th grade girl.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 36 comments It totally took me back to that time in my life.

Melissa Coyle | 16 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "It totally took me back to that time in my life."

Me, too!

message 9: by Tiffany, Former moderator, current lurker (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tiffany | 213 comments Mod
Hmm... I don't even know what to say. I never read this book while I was a young girl, and now that I've finally read it, and had some time to think about it, I don't think I missed anything by not reading it when I was younger! *hides*

I get what Melissa said about the story letting girls know they're not alone, but ... I don't know. I still don't think that I would have really thought much of the book as a pre-teen. I could also see wanting your daughters to read the book, but ... man, it just didn't do much for me. I feel like I've failed at being a girl!

Zoey Wyn (bookwormalhs) | 4 comments I can relate to your feelings of not thinking you missed anything, Tiffany. I found some things quite humorous though.

The parts on religious exploration I found to be the most interesting, and I thought it was fantastic that a pre-teen novel addressed that issue. It would be cool to see if anyone else tackled that difficult topic.

1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You...

unread topics | mark unread