The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.5 - Bigger is Better: Catherine T's Task: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Book

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 03, 2016 08:57AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17398 comments Mod
20.5 - Bigger is Better- Catherine T's Task: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Book

Sir Peter Blake is great artist, producing many iconic art works, and in particular album covers. Most notably he did the cover for The Beatles album Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. This task is exploring and celebrating that work.

Choose one option. Indicate the option when you post.
Books with the genre Sequential Art, Graphic novels, or Manga MAY be used.
Books with the genre Childrens or Kids may NOT be used.

1: Read a book whose title (excluding sub-title) can be made up of ONLY the letters found in "Peter Blake Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" Letters can only be used as many times as they appear in the phrase. Punctuation in the book title may be ignored; only the letters should be considered..

2: The artwork is a collage with many different people and items. Read a book written by an author who shares at least one name with someone who appears on the album cover. List of images on the cover: You must use someone on the cover with a name in a blue hyperlink and not one of the props or excluded people/items listed. If your book has multiple authors only one needs to match.
Required: State the person you are matching. e.g. Oscar Wilde - matching himself; Joyce Carol Oates - matching James Joyce

3: Have you every looked at the cover and wished you could add someone in or take someone out? Now's your chance!
Read a non-fiction book by or about a person you would add to or remove from the album cover.
Required: briefly explain why you'd make the change.

message 2: by Cat (last edited Mar 03, 2016 09:03AM) (new)

message 3: by Cat (last edited Mar 24, 2016 03:36AM) (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2211 comments option 1
Grace & Style: The Art of Pretending You Have It will NOT work as the ampersand is not in the letters listed, nor is it a punctuation mark.

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

This help thread is open!

message 5: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Hi, question on option 2. What if the book is written by multiple authors? Is it fine if at least one author has a name that matches, or would all the authors need to have a name that matches?

The book I wanted to use was The China Collectors: America's Century-Long Hunt for Asian Art Treasures. One of the authors is Karl Meyer, who shares a name with Karl Marx, but, there is a co-author, Shareen Blair Brysac, who does not match anyone's.

Would this book still work?

message 6: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2211 comments Terri FL wrote: "Hi, question on option 2. What if the book is written by multiple authors? Is it fine if at least one author has a name that matches, or would all the authors need to have a name that matches? "

I've made an update to the task: yes, you can use that book - where there are multiple authors, only one needs to match.

message 7: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Catherine wrote: "Terri FL wrote: "Hi, question on option 2. What if the book is written by multiple authors? Is it fine if at least one author has a name that matches, or would all the authors need to have a name t..."

Thanks!

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1110 comments Hi Catherine,

I have a question, but wasn't sure if it is one for the mods or not. So I thought I would start here with you.

I wanted to readThe Shawshank Redemption for opt. 2. This is the audio version.

However, when trying to link it to the mmpb version, when I click under 'other editions', that is not this book. That one is 500+ pages,but the other pb's listed are more accurate in page count. I just need to know 2 things:
-can I use this book?
-and which do I need to link to?

Thanks,

message 9: by Dlmrose (new)

Donna wrote: "Hi Catherine,

I have a question, but wasn't sure if it is one for the mods or not. So I thought I would start here with you.

I wanted to readThe Shawshank Redemption for opt. 2. Th..."

Mod note: Please link to the audio edition. The 500+ page editions should be Different Seasons featuring The Shawshank Redemption. This has been corrected in the past, but the main title wording on these records makes them easily confused.

message 10: by Bea (last edited Mar 10, 2016 03:36AM) (new)

Bea | 3815 comments Donna, since this task does not require a page count, you would link to the edition that you read. In your case, the audio edition. Regarding whether this book can be used for this task, Catherine will need to determine that.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 425 comments Could I use Grace & Style: The Art of Pretending You Have It for option 1? I wasn't sure how to account for the & symbol. The letters a, n, d are in the title, but there's no & sign.

Thanks!

message 12: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2211 comments Jen wrote: "Could I use Grace & Style: The Art of Pretending You Have It for option 1? I wasn't sure how to account for the & symbol. The letters a, n, d are in the title, but there's no & sign..."

Hi Jen, sorry, this won't work for option 1 - the ampersand symbol doesn't appear in the letters, and it's not a punctuation mark.

Might it work for option 3? it's non-fiction, and I'm sure you can explain why you think the author should be added to the line-up!

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen Scott | 425 comments Catherine wrote: "Jen wrote: "Could I use Grace & Style: The Art of Pretending You Have It for option 1? I wasn't sure how to account for the & symbol. The letters a, n, d are in the title, but there..."

Great! I'll use it for option 3. Thank you!

message 14: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 969 comments I had a quick question for Option 2. The task description says that we must use someone on the cover with a name in a blue hyperlink and not one of the props or excluded people/items listed.

What about the people who are shown as "wax models". I was thinking of using a book by Diana Killian to match Diana Dors (actress).

message 15: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2211 comments Rebecca NJ wrote: "I had a quick question for Option 2. The task description says that we must use someone on the cover with a name in a blue hyperlink and not one of the props or excluded people/items listed.

What..."

As the name is listed in blue, yes.

message 16: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 969 comments Thanks Catherine!

message 17: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1613 comments For Option 1, I wanted to check that there isn't a minimum number of words or letters in the title.

I would like to use Lost (LO are in Lonely, ST are in Hearts)

message 18: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2211 comments Julia wrote: "For Option 1, I wanted to check that there isn't a minimum number of words or letters in the title.

I would like to use Lost (LO are in Lonely, ST are in Hearts)"

no minimum word / letter count! Enjoy :)