The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2016 > 25.7 - Dakimel's Task: Sibling & Niece Season

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 02, 2016 05:30PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17582 comments Mod
25.7 - Dakimel's Task: Sibling & Niece Season

The Spring SRC coincides with my brother’s and my sister’s birthdays, so this task celebrates them and their daughters.

This is a 2-book task. Pick two different options and read one book for each.
Required: Specify which options you picked when you claim your task.

A: My big brother is a vegetarian actuary. Read a book written by an author whose initials all appear in VEGETARIANACTUARY.
Spaces determine names and all name initials count. If a book is written by co-authors or multiple contributors all authors' initials must fit.

B. His older daughter studies urban gardening. Read a book with the genre “Urban,” “Urban Fantasy,” or “Gardening” on its main book page.

C. His younger daughter studies math. Read a book with a digit (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) on the cover. The number may appear as part of the title, artwork, series name, etc., so long as it is not spelled out, a Roman numeral or anything other than a digit 0-9.
Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield Catch-22 by Joseph Heller The Fortune Cookie Chronicles Adventures in the World of Chinese Food by Jennifer 8. Lee 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1) by James Patterson
Required: post the cover when claiming this option, and point out the number if it isn’t obvious.

D: My sister likes snorkeling and diving. Read a book with a body of water large enough to snorkel in and/or with a fish or sea creature (whale, octopus, goldfish, tadpole - anything that lives primarily beneath the water) on the cover.
Required: post the cover when claiming this option.

E: Her daughter is crazy about all her stuffed animals, but she has one she’s never without. Read a book whose title (including subtitle) contains ALL the letters of WHITE BUNNY. They can appear in any order, but all ten letters must be present.

message 2: by Melanie (last edited Apr 21, 2016 05:01PM) (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Approved

Option A: use only author or author's name(s), not translator/narrator/etc.

Option B: embedded genres are okay
The Sword of Summer

Option C:
Wife Is a 4-Letter Word by Stephanie Bond Family Jewels (Stone Barrington #37) by Stuart Woods The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1) by Sarah MacLean

Option D:
Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5) by Jim Butcher The Drowning Girls by Paula Treick DeBoard Just Good Friends (Escape to New Zealand, #2) by Rosalind James Scuba Confidential - An Insider's Guide to Becoming a Better Diver by Simon Pridmore Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein Dead Wake The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf Forsaken Dreams (Escape to Paradise, #1) by MaryLu Tyndall The Woman (Linda Darby, #1) by David Bishop The Bookman’s Tale by Charlie Lovett Passenger (Passenger, #1) by Alexandra Bracken

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Disapproved

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17582 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Pia (last edited Mar 02, 2016 06:01PM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments For Option D, does this bookcover work?

The Drowning Girls by Paula Treick DeBoard

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 659 comments Just to clarify wording for myself, for option D, as long as it's a large body of water, it doesn't need to have a sea animal visible?

I'm looking to use this:
Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5) by Jim Butcher

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Boston Kate wrote: "
Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5) by Jim Butcher"

Pia wrote: "
The Drowning Girls by Paula Treick DeBoard"

Both of those work for D

(Yes - water and/or fish)

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 659 comments Melanie wrote: "Boston Kate wrote: "
Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5) by Jim Butcher"

Pia wrote: "
The Drowning Girls by Paula Treick DeBoard"

Both of those work for D

(Yes - water and/or fish)"

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. :)

message 9: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Great. Thanks!

message 10: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments For option B, are embedded genres acceptable? I'm thinking of a book that has Fantasy>Urban Fantasy as the top genre.

message 11: by Christine US (last edited Mar 03, 2016 05:57AM) (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments could I use something where water is on the cover, but might not be the primary thing you see? (I'm a diver myself - going on a trip this weekend:) )

Scuba Confidential - An Insider's Guide to Becoming a Better Diver by Simon Pridmore

message 12: by Kristen (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 707 comments Would this one work for Option D? A starfish?

Just Good Friends (Escape to New Zealand, #2) by Rosalind James

message 13: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Would like to confirm genre for The Sword of Summer - Urban Fantasy

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Camilla wrote: "For option B, are embedded genres acceptable? I'm thinking of a book that has Fantasy>Urban Fantasy as the top genre."

Yes, embedded is fine.

message 15: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Kristen wrote: "Would this one work for Option D? A starfish?

Just Good Friends (Escape to New Zealand, #2) by Rosalind James"

Looks good!

Christine US wrote: "could I use something where water is on the cover, but might not be the primary thing you see? (I'm a diver myself - going on a trip this weekend:) )

[bookcover:Scuba Confidential - An Insider's G..."

Yes - as long as the water we see is snorkel-sized+, which this is.

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Maya wrote: "Would like to confirm genre for The Sword of Summer - Urban Fantasy"

Confirmed!

message 17: by Nicola (last edited Mar 03, 2016 02:55PM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein - is this water considered ok for option D?

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Nicola wrote: "Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein - is this water considered ok for option D?"

Someone should give that guy a snorkel before he drowns.

Yep, approved.

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine | 712 comments Can you see enough of the body of water in this cover to use for Option D? Thanks!

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

message 20: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Christine wrote: "Can you see enough of the body of water in this cover to use for Option D? Thanks!

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf"

Looks good!

message 21: by Narumon (new)

Narumon Would this Dead Wake The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson qualify for Option D? It is the sea, but it's such a tiny part of the cover that I want to make sure it works.

Thanks!

message 22: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments Would this book for option C? Wife Is a 4-Letter Word by Stephanie Bond

message 23: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Narumon wrote: "Would this Dead Wake The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson qualify for Option D? It is the sea, but it's such a tiny part of the cover that I want to make sure it works.

Thanks!"

Sure will! I like that cover so much better than the hardcover.

message 24: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Hina wrote: "Would this book for option C? Wife Is a 4-Letter Word by Stephanie Bond"

You know it!

message 25: by Narumon (new)

Narumon Melanie wrote: "Narumon wrote: "Would this Dead Wake The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson qualify for Option D? It is the sea, but it's such a tiny part of the cover that I want to make sure it..."

Thank you! And I agree; I like this cover so much better. In fact, it was what made me pick the book up even though I passed by the hardcover so many times before.

message 26: by Sadayo (new)

Sadayo | 63 comments Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen What about this for option D?

message 27: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Sadayo wrote: "Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen What about this for option D?"

Sea turtles can spend up to 7 hours underwater! Wow!

Approved.

message 28: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1686 comments I have a question about option A. My book was originally written in Portuguese so do I have to include the initials of the translator

message 29: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1686 comments Would either of the covers below fulfill the requirement for Option D?

The Woman (Linda Darby, #1) by David Bishop

Forsaken Dreams (Escape to Paradise, #1) by MaryLu Tyndall

message 30: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Wanda wrote: "Would either of the covers below fulfill the requirement for Option D?

The Woman (Linda Darby, #1) by David Bishop

Forsaken Dreams (Escape to Paradise, #1) by MaryLu Tyndall"

Both work, and use just the original author's name, not the translator.

message 31: by Jonquil (last edited Apr 07, 2016 05:08PM) (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments The Nashville Public Library (yay, Libraries!!) just entrusted me with a brand-spanking-new, never-cracked copy of Stuart Woods' latest Stone Barrington novel. At the very top of the cover, the publisher declares "#1 New York Times Bestselling Author"
Family Jewels (Stone Barrington #37) by Stuart Woods

So, I have unceremoniously dumped my previously-selected (and read) book to use "#1" to qualify for choice C.

Off to see what Stone's buying and who he's bedding...

message 32: by Emurphy (last edited Apr 12, 2016 04:15AM) (new)

Emurphy | 491 comments For Option 4, body of water large enough to snorkel in...just want to verify this is ok first. There is a large river in the picture with big ships and sailboats.

The Bookman’s Tale by Charlie Lovett by Charlie Lovett

message 33: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Emurphy wrote: "For Option 4, body of water large enough to snorkel in...just want to verify this is ok first. There is a large river in the picture with big ships and sailboats.

[bookcover:The Bookman’s Tale|16..."

Jonquil wrote: "The Nashville Public Library (yay, Libraries!!) just entrusted me with a brand-spanking-new, never-cracked copy of Stuart Woods' latest Stone Barrington novel. At the very top of the cover, the pub..."

both approved

message 34: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Would this be okay for Option D?

I don't think people snorkel in lakes but like...they could? I guess? Maybe? Search and rescue? I don't know anything about snorkeling.

The Secrets of Lake Road by Karen Katchur

message 35: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Cait wrote: "Would this be okay for Option D?

I don't think people snorkel in lakes but like...they could? I guess? Maybe? Search and rescue? I don't know anything about snorkeling.

[bookcover:The Secrets of ..."

The desirability of snorkeling isn't necessary - just the capacity. :) Approved!

message 36: by Deedee (last edited Apr 20, 2016 10:08PM) (new)

Deedee | 2076 comments For Option D (a body of water):
Passenger (Passenger, #1) by Alexandra Bracken
There's water inside the bottle with the city, plus the bottle is lying on water? as well -- judgement call hence my post :)

message 37: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Deedee wrote: "For Option D (a body of water):
There's water inside the bottle with the city, plus the bottle is lying on water? as well -- judgement call hence my post :)"

I read that book during the last SRC - it's so good!

Also, approved. Enjoy.

message 38: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2076 comments Melanie wrote: "Deedee wrote: "For Option D (a body of water):
There's water inside the bottle with the city, plus the bottle is lying on water? as well -- judgement call hence my po..."

Just finished it -- 5 * read :)