Girls of GB discussion

The Martian > The Martian Discussion Post

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura.125Pages (last edited Mar 31, 2016 10:53PM) (new)

Laura.125Pages (125pages) | 25 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread where we can post thoughts and simply anything that crosses your mind as you read the book.

Spoiler ban gone as new month has started.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Please use spoilers to avoid giving things away to readers who haven't read up to that point yet. Simply follow this:

1. Mention the chapter you are reading so people know whether or not to read your spoiler.

2. Construct spoilers without the spaces between the coding < spoiler > [Your message here] < / spoiler >

Post as often as you'd like to!

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 5 comments I'm at chapter 25. (I have so much more time to read on my business trip than I will when I'm at home!) I have to say, the science stuff just almost loses me, but the author is very good about getting back to some plot just when I'm about to have science fatigue.

I have heard that this book is very accurate on the science. I think it's probably pretty inaccurate on the psychology, though. I have read about studies where people have spent as little as a month or two in total isolation, and they start having pretty intense psychological issues. (view spoiler) Thanks, Laura, for explaining how to make spoiler tags!

Also interesting, at some point, maybe 10-15 chapters in, I stopped imagining the character as Mark Wahlberg. I couldn't help it at first because I saw the movie last fall. But Mark Watney reminds me of the quirky, geeky, self-deprecating guys I knew in grad school, and they were nothing like Mark Wahlberg. At this point, I'm imagining Watney as a nerdy guy, a little on the skinny side with curly black hair.

message 3: by Laura.125Pages (new)

Laura.125Pages (125pages) | 25 comments Mod
I just finished listening to the audiobook last night. I had seen the movie, so I knew what to expect, and I loved it. Funny and sharp and so different.

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda Popejoy | 11 comments Just finished the book. I have not seen the movie but want to. I enjoyed the book more than I thought I would. I would have liked to have seen more emphasis on the psychological impact of being stranded alone on Mars. I thought that was kind of glossed over. But it was still a good read and I was rooting for the main character.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Krebs (kletco) | 7 comments I read this book back in September and loved it! It was the perfect amount of science/physics geek stuff for me. (view spoiler) I don't read a ton of sci fi, but this being realistic sci fi, plus I have an interest in space exploration, I thought it was really fun.