SNA Y8.02 (2015-2016) discussion

Assignment > Final post Term 3 Week 8 New book recommendation

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nurr (new)

Nurr Shahidna | 24 comments Mod
Recommend a new book for your friends to read. Give a short book recommendation.

message 2: by Fido (new)

Fido | 23 comments I read a book called "George's Marvellous Medicine". This book is written by Roald Dahl. The story is about a boy called George and he makes medicine for his grandma. I rate it 10/10.

message 3: by Fido (new)

Fido | 23 comments I read a book called "George's Marvellous Medicine". This book is written by Roald Dahl. The story is about a boy called George and he makes medicine for his grandma. I rate it 10/10.

message 4: by Fido (new)

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian | 23 comments i read a book called "The Death Cure". This book is written by James Dashner. The story is about a place that was filled by a deadly disease and the people in it trying to survive. I really recommend this book for people who like adventure.

message 6: by Jason29 (new)

Jason29 | 16 comments The book I read is Erebos. This book is written by Ursula Poznanski.
This book is about a boy called Nick, his best friends at school changed somehow, It was because of a game called Erebos. It is a mysterious pc game, the players weren't allowed to tell anyone about the game, or the player will get kicked out. This game is controlled by A.I (artificial intelligence).
I rate this book 10/10

message 7: by Winston (new)

Winston | 16 comments The book is dragon keeper, written by Carole Wilkinson.

This book is about an adventorous girl, Ping, who was trying to go out of slavery with a dragon who was willing to go with her. The dragon was owned by her master.

I think i will rate this book from 4.2 to 4.5 over 5 because the contents inside is very exciting to read.

message 8: by Alin (new)

Alin Kinan (caratskk982) | 12 comments The book that I read called "Dork Diaries, Tales from a NOT-SO-Popular party girl." Written by Rachel Reneé Russell

The story is about an unpopular girl named Nikki. Her school was going held a school halloween party. The student council chose MacKenzie Hollister (which is her enemy) to become one of the party comitee. MacKenzie made Nikki become the janitor of the party.

There is one time where MacKenzie invite Nikki to her birthday party to embarrassed Nikki infront of her crush, Brandon. Nikku swore to herself that she won't embarrased herself anymore.

During the halloween party, she just enjoyed herself. She change her costume to a rat costume. But unfortunately MacKenzie reveal who was in the rat costume and pissed Nikki off. Nikki cried. Brandon came and wear the rat head and start to cheer Nikki up. Nikki smiled and feel lucky to have Brandon on her side.

I rate this book 10/10 because the book is so interesting and funny.

message 9: by JasmineF (new)

JasmineF | 20 comments I read the book called deadheads.
It's about a murderer named Patrick Aldermann. He was a calm and a happy guy. But a detective thought that he was a murderer. They started investigating even though the other detective thinks there is no way for Patrick to be a murderer. Patrick has a wife, named Daphne. Even though there's a lot of guys who are head over heels over Daphne, she still sticks with Patrick. But the one who murdered her dad, was Patrick.
They didn't tell the readers who the murderer was, but I am pretty sure from how he reacted, he WAS the murderer.

I rate this book 9.5/10

message 10: by JasmineF (new)

JasmineF | 20 comments I read the book called deadheads.
It's about a murderer named Patrick Aldermann. He was a calm and a happy guy. But a detective thought that he was a murderer. They started investigating even though the other detective thinks there is no way for Patrick to be a murderer. Patrick has a wife, named Daphne. Even though there's a lot of guys who are head over heels over Daphne, she still sticks with Patrick. But the one who murdered her dad, was Patrick.
They didn't tell the readers who the murderer was, but I am pretty sure from how he reacted, he WAS the murderer.

I rate this book 9.5/10

message 11: by Wilbert (new)

Wilbert | 26 comments A book I have read is the HUNGER GAMES. There are 12 districts that has to compete in the hunger games. The hunger games is a game of survival. Kill everyone to be the winner. Everyone in the 12 districts do not support this game but the CAPITOL(the one who watches and arranges the game) does not care. Everyone in every district Rebels finding the opportunity to strike back(revenge for the games). I like this book because it is full with action and excitement. I rate it a 7.5/10

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

the book i picked is called Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian, This book is about percy jackson and his other demigod friends trying to stop kronos, the lord of the titans, that is beginning his act on new york city, and percy jackson's prophecy ill be unveiled on his 16th birthday. i will rate this book 5/10 because i don't really like this book.

message 13: by Elita (new)

Elita Talia (ElitaTalia) | 8 comments I read the book called "Bridge To Terabithia"
It's about Jess Aarons' greatest ambition is to be the fastest runner in his grade. He's been practicing all summer and can't wait to see his classmates' faces when he beats them all. But on the first day of school, a new girl boldly crosses over to the boys' side and outruns everyone.

That's not a very promising beginning for a friendship, but Jess and Leslie Burke become inseparable. Together they create Terabithia, a magical kingdom in the woods where the two of them reign as king and queen, and their imaginations set the only limits.

I rate this book 10/10, because I love adventure.

message 14: by Teresa (new)

Teresa A | 16 comments I read the book 'Grandpa's Great Escape by David Walliams. It is about a boy named Jack whose grandfather used to be a Royal Air Force pilot. His grandfather is slowly forgetting things as he is getting old. He forgets that he is in the present and thinks that he is still an RAF pilot fighting in World War II.

Like all of David Walliams' books, this book is very funny and creative. I really recommend this book to people who like Roald Dahl as David Walliams' works are funny like his.

I rate this book 9/10 because it was fun and is not hard to read.

message 15: by Sien (new)

Sien | 10 comments Paper Towns by John Green The book i picked is " Paper Towns"
This book is about a teenage boy called Quentin Jacobsen who lived next door to Margo Roth Spiegelman, his childhood friend from whom he has since drifted, but still has feelings for. One night, when she climbs through his window and summons him on an all-night road trip of revenge, he cannot help but follow her lead. The next day, however, Margo does not come to school, and after a few days some consider her missing, others just conclude she left to an undisclosed location.

message 16: by R. (new)

R. Eagan | 21 comments The book that I read was 12 Years A Slave by Solomon Northup which was published and edited by David Wilson.
The book is an autobiography of free black man-turned slave, Solomon Northup. He was already a free black man before he was kidnapped and sold into slavery. The book makes me feel like reliving the life of Solomon. The book tells his story enduring twelve years of slavery, before being rescued by friends from the North. This story takes place in the Civil War of America, and Solomon was enslaved to the Confederates. In the end of the story, he was reunited with his family in New York and lived long enough to tell his story to David Wilson shortly after.
In my opinion, this book was amazing to read as the choice of words and the true story engrossed me in it. If someone can make a movie that got an average rating of 8.6/10 based from the book, that must show that the story of Solomon Northup touched many people. So, i would recommend it to everyone that can handle it. I rate the book 11/10.

message 17: by Travis (new)

Travis Wijaya | 32 comments The book I read was called Allegiant and it was written by Veronica Roth.

Allegiant opens with our hero, Beatrice "Tris" Prior, in a prison inside a prison. See, she's in an actual jail cell for going all traitor in the last book and revealing information that has changed the city forever. We're so ready to bust out of this giant fenced-in city, Shawshank-style.

After Tris lies her way out of jail, she's approached by a group called the Allegiant, whose goal, conveniently, is to get out of the city. This plan is looking better and better because Evelyn, Tobias's mom, is enacting stringent rules to keep the citizens of the city under her control.

Pretty much everyone is a traitor these days, so Tobias helps bust Tris's brother, Caleb, out of jail, and soon they're all hopping on the Allegiant express out of town. Assisted by Johanna Reyes, who, along with Cara, is a leader of the Allegiant, they take a train to some trucks and head outside the fence. Unfortunately, Tori is shot on the way out by a Dauntless patrol. Good thing she got to avenge her dead brother in last book, huh?

The outside world looks pretty much the same as the inside world, just with more advertising and more ruined buildings. The group meets a patrol consisting of newcomer Zoe and Tobias's presumed dead Dauntless trainer Amar. They take everyone to the Bureau of Genetic Welfare, which is housed inside what used to be Chicago's O'Hare airport. Along the way, they're told that their city is called Chicago (making them officially the last people to know this), and Tris is given an old photo of her mother and some other dude.

The other dude turns out to be David, the head of the Bureau, who, like Tris's mom, is a lot older now. (Unlike Tris's mom, he is not dead. Amar may have faked his own death, but Tris's mom is assuredly dead as a doornail.) David explains that Chicago is a great social experiment meant to correct genetic damage caused by government experiments intended to rid people of unwanted characteristics like violence, greed, "cowardice, dishonesty, [and] low intelligence" (15.15). They didn't feel like tackling body odor while they were at it?

People whose genes have healed are known as "Divergent." People whose genes have not healed are given the less glamorous moniker of "genetically damaged." After being tested by Matthew the lab tech, Tobias finds out he's not Divergent and gets put into the "genetically damaged" camp. Womp womp.

Matthew's assistant, Nita, takes Tobias into the fringes to see how people really live around here: they pretty much get into violent fights in the alleyways between the shacks they live in. Nita wants to put a stop to this whole genetically damaged nonsense, being a GD herself.

Meanwhile, Tris goes through her mother's old journal, which was given to her by Zoe, whose sole purpose in life seems to be giving Tris things her mother left behind. The journal entries reveal that Tris's mom volunteered to go into the city to try and stop all the violence that was happening there. Nice try, Ma.

Tobias eventually brings Tris to meet Nita, who says she wants to steal some memory serum to keep David and the Bureau from using it to reset the memories of everyone in Chicago. Tris doesn't believe her, and she refuses to help Tobias. But Tobias decides to go against Tris and with Nita. This turns out to be a bad decision, because it turns out that Nita wants to kill everyone. They set off a bomb, which injures Uriah, and take David hostage.

Tris is determined not to let Nita get her hands on the death serum (having learned from Matthew that that's what her plan is), so she ends up grabbing David and using him as a human shield so that she can escape before he can tell Nita the code for the death serum. (Got that?) Nita and Tobias are arrested as traitors. Tobias goes free, on account of him being genetically damaged, but Nita doesn't, even though she's genetically damaged, too. Who knows how this justice system works?

Anyway, Tobias ends up feeling guilty about putting Uriah in a coma. When Tris finds out that the Bureau plans to just wipe the memories of everyone in Chicago, Tobias volunteers to go into the city and inoculate certain friends and family members, like Uriah's and Christina's families. He also plans to apologize to Uriah's family. ("Sorry I put your son in a coma, but the explosion was really cool!")

Meanwhile, Tris decides it would be a good idea to let out the memory serum on everyone in the Bureau first. The problem: whoever enters the room housing the memory serum will inhale death serum and die. Caleb is nominated because everyone hates him, anyway. Tris and Tobias split up and get all gushy about how much they love each other. Then Tobias heads into the city.

Tobias manages to convince Evelyn to put an end to her power hunger and give up control of the city. She forms an alliance with the Allegiant, and they agree to let everyone live on their own terms and be happy. Aww. Why couldn't they have done this three books ago and spared everyone all the trouble?

Back at the Bureau, an emergency lockdown goes into effect, forcing Tris to start her plan sooner than expected. She decides to sacrifice herself instead of Caleb, because he's doing it to absolve himself of guilt (wrong reason) and she's killing herself in the name of love (right reason).

Tris miraculously survives the death serum and opposite-of-miraculously dies when David shoots her as she unleashes the memory serum.

So, the main character is dead, and the memory of everyone in the Bureau is wiped. Tobias returns to find Tris dead. He cries and mourns a lot and almost erases his own memory, but Christina convinces him not to.

Two and a half years later, Tobias proves that fear is not a factor for him when he zip-lines from the Hancock Building in Chicago, scattering Tris's ashes all the way down. He still misses her, but he's determined to look for the good in life with his friends.

message 18: by Travis (new)

Travis Wijaya | 32 comments The book I read was called Allegiant and it was written by Veronica Roth.

Allegiant opens with our hero, Beatrice "Tris" Prior, in a prison inside a prison. See, she's in an actual jail cell for going all traitor in the last book and revealing information that has changed the city forever. We're so ready to bust out of this giant fenced-in city, Shawshank-style.

After Tris lies her way out of jail, she's approached by a group called the Allegiant, whose goal, conveniently, is to get out of the city. This plan is looking better and better because Evelyn, Tobias's mom, is enacting stringent rules to keep the citizens of the city under her control.

Pretty much everyone is a traitor these days, so Tobias helps bust Tris's brother, Caleb, out of jail, and soon they're all hopping on the Allegiant express out of town. Assisted by Johanna Reyes, who, along with Cara, is a leader of the Allegiant, they take a train to some trucks and head outside the fence. Unfortunately, Tori is shot on the way out by a Dauntless patrol. Good thing she got to avenge her dead brother in last book, huh?

The outside world looks pretty much the same as the inside world, just with more advertising and more ruined buildings. The group meets a patrol consisting of newcomer Zoe and Tobias's presumed dead Dauntless trainer Amar. They take everyone to the Bureau of Genetic Welfare, which is housed inside what used to be Chicago's O'Hare airport. Along the way, they're told that their city is called Chicago (making them officially the last people to know this), and Tris is given an old photo of her mother and some other dude.

The other dude turns out to be David, the head of the Bureau, who, like Tris's mom, is a lot older now. (Unlike Tris's mom, he is not dead. Amar may have faked his own death, but Tris's mom is assuredly dead as a doornail.) David explains that Chicago is a great social experiment meant to correct genetic damage caused by government experiments intended to rid people of unwanted characteristics like violence, greed, "cowardice, dishonesty, [and] low intelligence" (15.15). They didn't feel like tackling body odor while they were at it?

People whose genes have healed are known as "Divergent." People whose genes have not healed are given the less glamorous moniker of "genetically damaged." After being tested by Matthew the lab tech, Tobias finds out he's not Divergent and gets put into the "genetically damaged" camp. Womp womp.

Matthew's assistant, Nita, takes Tobias into the fringes to see how people really live around here: they pretty much get into violent fights in the alleyways between the shacks they live in. Nita wants to put a stop to this whole genetically damaged nonsense, being a GD herself.

Meanwhile, Tris goes through her mother's old journal, which was given to her by Zoe, whose sole purpose in life seems to be giving Tris things her mother left behind. The journal entries reveal that Tris's mom volunteered to go into the city to try and stop all the violence that was happening there. Nice try, Ma.

Tobias eventually brings Tris to meet Nita, who says she wants to steal some memory serum to keep David and the Bureau from using it to reset the memories of everyone in Chicago. Tris doesn't believe her, and she refuses to help Tobias. But Tobias decides to go against Tris and with Nita. This turns out to be a bad decision, because it turns out that Nita wants to kill everyone. They set off a bomb, which injures Uriah, and take David hostage.

Tris is determined not to let Nita get her hands on the death serum (having learned from Matthew that that's what her plan is), so she ends up grabbing David and using him as a human shield so that she can escape before he can tell Nita the code for the death serum. (Got that?) Nita and Tobias are arrested as traitors. Tobias goes free, on account of him being genetically damaged, but Nita doesn't, even though she's genetically damaged, too. Who knows how this justice system works?

Anyway, Tobias ends up feeling guilty about putting Uriah in a coma. When Tris finds out that the Bureau plans to just wipe the memories of everyone in Chicago, Tobias volunteers to go into the city and inoculate certain friends and family members, like Uriah's and Christina's families. He also plans to apologize to Uriah's family. ("Sorry I put your son in a coma, but the explosion was really cool!")

Meanwhile, Tris decides it would be a good idea to let out the memory serum on everyone in the Bureau first. The problem: whoever enters the room housing the memory serum will inhale death serum and die. Caleb is nominated because everyone hates him, anyway. Tris and Tobias split up and get all gushy about how much they love each other. Then Tobias heads into the city.

Tobias manages to convince Evelyn to put an end to her power hunger and give up control of the city. She forms an alliance with the Allegiant, and they agree to let everyone live on their own terms and be happy. Aww. Why couldn't they have done this three books ago and spared everyone all the trouble?

Back at the Bureau, an emergency lockdown goes into effect, forcing Tris to start her plan sooner than expected. She decides to sacrifice herself instead of Caleb, because he's doing it to absolve himself of guilt (wrong reason) and she's killing herself in the name of love (right reason).

Tris miraculously survives the death serum and opposite-of-miraculously dies when David shoots her as she unleashes the memory serum.

So, the main character is dead, and the memory of everyone in the Bureau is wiped. Tobias returns to find Tris dead. He cries and mourns a lot and almost erases his own memory, but Christina convinces him not to.

Two and a half years later, Tobias proves that fear is not a factor for him when he zip-lines from the Hancock Building in Chicago, scattering Tris's ashes all the way down. He still misses her, but he's determined to look for the good in life with his friends.

message 19: by Travis (new)

message 20: by Travis (new)

message 21: by Travis (new)

message 22: by Travis (new)

message 23: by Travis (new)

message 24: by Travis (new)

message 25: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Untayana | 16 comments Andreas Untayana
I have read my recommendations book which is "Spirit Animals" by Brandon Mull
This is very good for you who likes adventures and Superheroes because this book is talk about 4 children's where they're parents was married with beast and their kids had a superpower. and each of the kids had thrown animals which became their partners or the spirit.

message 26: by Wienda (new)

Wienda Nurhanie | 17 comments The book i read is called "Legend" by Marie Lu.
This book is about western United State where The republic, a nation which is at war with each other. Then, their are two main characters named June and Day. June comes from a rich family because she is a prodigy of the Republic's wealthiest family and Day, is a less fortunate boy but is one of the country's dangerous criminal. After that, they would cross paths because June's brother was murdered and the prime suspect of the murder is Day and that is how they meet. Then from their on they would discover a lot of things about the Republic or something like that (i forgot).
This book is a good book i would rate it as 4/5

message 27: by Atharva (new)

Atharva | 32 comments I read a book called passage to India its a book by em.forster its a boring and irritating book of old generation which is really irritating. I rate this book 2.5/5.
This book is based on the life when british first colonized india.
A Passage to India was divided by E. M. Forster into three parts. The first part, "Mosque," begins with what is essentially a description of the city of Chandrapore. The physical separation of the city into sections, plus the separation of earth and sky, are indicative of a separation of deeper significance that exists between the Indian and English sectors.

This novel deals with human relationships, and the theme that determines its plot line is introduced in this section: "Is it possible for the Indian and the Englishman to be friends?" To show both sides of this question, the reader is first introduced to Dr. Aziz and his friends. Aziz is a Moslem doctor who practices at the government hospital in Chandrapore under the supervision of Major Callendar. Among Aziz's friends are Hamidullah, an Indian barrister who has lived in England; Nawab Bahadur, an influential landowner; and Mahmoud Ali

message 28: by Atharva (new)

Atharva | 32 comments A Passage to India was divided by E. M. Forster into three parts. The first part, "Mosque," begins with what is essentially a description of the city of Chandrapore. The physical separation of the city into sections, plus the separation of earth and sky, are indicative of a separation of deeper significance that exists between the Indian and English sectors.

This novel deals with human relationships, and the theme that determines its plot line is introduced in this section: "Is it possible for the Indian and the Englishman to be friends?" To show both sides of this question, the reader is first introduced to Dr. Aziz and his friends. Aziz is a Moslem doctor who practices at the government hospital in Chandrapore under the supervision of Major Callendar. Among Aziz's friends are Hamidullah, an Indian barrister who has lived in England; Nawab Bahadur, an influential landowner; and Mahmoud Ali

message 29: by Atharva (new)

Atharva | 32 comments A Passage to India was divided by E. M. Forster into three parts. The first part, "Mosque," begins with what is essentially a description of the city of Chandrapore. The physical separation of the city into sections, plus the separation of earth and sky, are indicative of a separation of deeper significance that exists between the Indian and English sectors.

message 30: by Atharva (new)

message 31: by Atharva (new)

message 32: by Atharva (new)

message 33: by ReynaldiS (new)

ReynaldiS | 17 comments I read a book called The Fly retold by John Escott. The stories were quiet interesting but it confused me. The book was written by 5 writter i think. The Fly chapter story was about a doctor that wanted to transfer one place to another but there was a fly in the machine that made his had into parts of fly and cat. At the end the doctor named Andre suicide with a hammer i think.
This book is 2/5.

message 34: by ReynaldiS (new)

ReynaldiS | 17 comments I read a book called The Fly retold by John Escott. The stories were quiet interesting but it confused me. The book was written by 5 writter i think. The Fly chapter story was about a doctor that wanted to transfer one place to another but there was a fly in the machine that made his had into parts of fly and cat. At the end the doctor named Andre suicide with a hammer i think.
This book is 2/5.