Reading with Style discussion

RwS Spring 2016 > 10.9 Back to Business (Beth's Task)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5912 comments 10.9 Beth's Task: Back to Business

Read a book with the main page genre Business.

Please post any questions about this task here.

message 2: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5912 comments Goodreads Business Shelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2313 comments I want to be absolutely clear - does business have to be the first genre? Or can non-fiction be 1st + biz 2nd?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Valerie wrote: "I want to be absolutely clear - does business have to be the first genre? Or can non-fiction be 1st + biz 2nd?"

For this one, it can be in any position as one of the genres on the book page.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments This will be my hardest task ... and definitely no 1001 books!

Looking for recommendations!!

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1099 comments How to Win Friends and Influence People and The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change are good personal improvement books.

Malcolm Gladwell is very accessible.

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes are High is relevant beyond work.

Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die is awesome. This was my favorite book of the year a few years back and if you are curious about how people think it will be interesting. Their other books are also good.

These are just what catches my eye on the first page that I have personally read and enjoyed (pre goodreads) and think might be interesting to someone who finds this a challenging category. You could also check personal finance, some will be shelved as business. So might histories of the publishing industry or some biographies.

message 7: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4419 comments Thanks for the help, Beth! I think I may go with Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die. The other one I was thinking of is Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us. I liked reading Daniel Pink when I was teaching and this one is about motivation so is also relevant in retirement and has self help as well as business in the genres.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1099 comments Drive was a solid book for that theme. It didn't bowl me over but Pink continued his readable style and did a good job. I thought it worthwhile.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Turns out my library system is not so big on this subject area ( don't worry, they are hopeless at translated fiction also ).

Looks like I will have to go with Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11728 comments Amanda wrote: "Turns out my library system is not so big on this subject area ( don't worry, they are hopeless at translated fiction also ).

Looks like I will have to go with [book:Freakonomics: A Rogue Economis..."

I haven't looked at these, but I'll bet most qualify for this task (thanks for the suggestion, Beth) and your library might have most to offer you. (and some will combo)

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 13: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1339 comments Amanda wrote: "This will be my hardest task ... and definitely no 1001 books!

Looking for recommendations!!"

The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine was very interesting and has enough of a plot that it has been turned into a movie.
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson was fascinating. A book that I would never have read if my book group had not selected it and is one of my recent favorites and it combos with the AutoBioMem task.