Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

Swim the Moon
This topic is about Swim the Moon
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Swim the Moon > Swim the Moon - Who's Reading? / Discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (new)

Odette | 316 comments Mod
The Endicott May 2014 book is Swim the Moon by Paul Brandon - who's reading?

Margaret | 49 comments I want to read this, so I'll try to join in. But I said that for the last one and didn't have a chance! Though I still plan on eventually getting to Minions of the Moon. I have lots of shenanigans going on in May, but if I get this for my kindle I'll be able to read on the go, and it looks good. Anyone read it before?

Melanti | 114 comments It does sound interesting. I bought a copy and it just arrived in the mail last weekend, so I'm all set to read it.

Jalilah | 132 comments It does indeed look interesting! I will also see if I can find a copy!

Jalilah | 132 comments Yay! My library does have a copy and there is not even a cue!

Melanti | 114 comments Lucky you! My library has a huge selection and normally has nearly everything I want but I think it'll be November until it has one of the scheduled group read books!

message 7: by Odette (new)

You ARE lucky, Jalilah. My library only has a reference copy of this one - which means reading the whole book at the library downtown (I never seem to have enough time to just sit there and read an entire book - I usually read on trains or in little bits of time in the evenings and on weekends).

Same problem with the last book - library said they had a circulating copy, it never arrived, when I made a special trip to the branch where it was supposed to be, it turned out it had been missing for a long time. Sigh.

(This is one of the reason I keep urging people to ask their libraries to order these wonderful books - if enough people ask, they might start to show up in libraries around the county - or the world. :) )

Melanti | 114 comments I just started this book this morning and I'm liking it. IT's rather melancholy so far (I'm only about a quarter in).

I bought this used and it's signed. The inscription is interesting.

"And so: the first in a planned series of thirty-seven books about depressed fiddlers!"

Obviously it's not a series and Brandon has only written two books that I can see. Wonder what the story behind the inscription is and why 37? I'm very tempted to email the woman who sold it to me and ask, since it's made out to someone with her first name.

Jalilah | 132 comments Melanti wrote: "I just started this book this morning and I'm liking it. IT's rather melancholy so far (I'm only about a quarter in).

I bought this used and it's signed. The inscription is interesting.

"And s..."

That is very interesting Melanti! If you do and she replies, let us know! I'd be curious!
It sad. Many authors write good books with the hope and intent of them becoming a series. Then they don't sell well, so the publishers don't want to bother.
Maybe this is what happened, but yes, why 37.

Melanti | 114 comments Curiosity killed the cat. I just had to indulge my curiosity and ask. BTW, I guess "buying" is the wrong word for it since it's technically a book trading site, not a book purchasing site.

Me:
Good morning!
You sent this book to me last month, and I'm curious about the inscription on the title page.

It says: "And so: the first in a planned series of thirty-seven books about depressed fiddlers!". I was wondering if you knew and would be willing to share the meaning behind this? I'm assuming it's somewhat of a joke but why thirty seven?

Her answer:
Hi!

I completely forgot about the inscription- sorry!\

The author was a guy I knew online on a mailing list, and we were friends- though we lost touch a number of years ago. (I should see if I can find him on FB...) Anyway, he's an excellent fiddler- did some great Australian/Celtic fusion, as I recall- and was also having some issues with depression. I think the "37" was purely a wry exaggeration.

I hope you like the book! I've read it a couple of times (and I am not usually a re-reader), and quite liked it, though it did have some discrepancy in the timeline, I thought. I am currently trying to be ruthless at getting rid of books (we're looking at moving at some point in the next few years, and it'll take that long to prep!), or I would have kept it.

All my best,

So... No definite answer on 37, really. But it sounds like the character basis is at least partly auto-biographical.

Margaret | 49 comments I finished this the other day, and agree that it's very melancholy. And also very atmospheric. It makes you feel like you're in Scotland with Richard. I'm interested in discussing the ending, so once everyone's finished, I'd like to hear interpretations!

"37" sounds sarcastic to me. So many fantasy novels are epic series, that the comment is probably tongue-in-check. But I did look at the other novel he's written, The Wild Reel, and it looks like it's about the artist that Richard buys a painting from, which is a minor scene from the novel, but Branson does emphasize that painting so I kept expecting the artist to somehow play a part in the plot, and was confused when that never happened. But that there is a sequel explains why there was an emphasis.

Jalilah | 132 comments I just started this morning but am really liking it! I agree with you Margaret that the 37 could be sarcastic referring to these best seller series that just go on and on. I read in the forward that De Lint helped encourage him to write this book.

Melanti | 114 comments So my current unsubstantiated theory on 37... Richard mentions approaching 40 a couple of times, so him being 37 would be consistent with that and with other aspects of his character being semi-autobiographical, I wouldn't be surprised if the author was 37 as well.

I really loved the book, by the way. You can practically hear the sound of the waves on the shore and the rain hitting the windows.

I'll definitely be reading The Wild Reel at some point. The cover art on that actually looks very similar to the art on de Lint's books.

Jalilah | 132 comments What an atmospheric, beautiful and melancholy book this is! I agree with you Melanti when you said you felt like you could hear the waves and you Margaret when you said you felt like you were in Scotland with Richard. It was the same for me. Paul Brandon was really able to transport the reader into his world.
I rated it 4 stars which for me means I really liked it, but not not to the point where I want to immediately reread. I must admit I was somewhat surprised by the ending. Did I understand this correctly?: (view spoiler) If that's the case it's kind of sad!

Margaret | 49 comments (view spoiler)

Jalilah | 132 comments I did not understand that Richard is(view spoiler)Which I find kind of a cop out ending. Except...,,,,,(view spoiler) Or?

Margaret | 49 comments Okay, correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a couple of weeks since I finished it, but I thought (view spoiler)

Melanti | 114 comments (view spoiler)

message 19: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy (kathy_h) So I am several months behind, but I just picked up this book.

message 20: by Odette (new)

Hi Kathy.
It's never too late to catch up on your Endicott reading. :)

message 21: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy (kathy_h) That is what I figured.

Jalilah | 132 comments I hope enjoy it Kathy! I did!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.