Horror Aficionados discussion

Bizarro and Splatterpunk > The most goriest splatterpunk book...ever??

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) The Bridge by John Skipp was a pretty great one overall, there is lots of gore there.

The Shaft by David J. Schow is another that's gorey but is also very cerebral on top.

Wet Work by Philip Nutman

Splatterpunks II Over the Edge by Paul M. Sammon

Those authors are great sources for splat and great writing both.

message 2: by Ekel (new)

message 3: by Allan (new)

Allan (allan23) | 22 comments His Pain by Wrath James White or Header by Edward Lee are definitely splatterpunk favorites of mine!

message 4: by Ekel (new)

Ekel Adolf | 2668 comments There is another fella named Marc Gore. His stories are not particular good or well written, but extremely violent and gory. The only problem: Marc Gore is a German author and I don't think his works were ever translated into English.

message 5: by Ekel (new)

Ekel Adolf | 2668 comments A lot of his stories can be found online, for example "Orgiastic - Nächte der blutigen Exzesse":

http://www.e-stories.de/view-kurzgesc...

The story is a lot like the old cult movie Maniac and features atrocities like (view spoiler). But again, it is in German.

message 6: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Johnson (freaktension) | 6 comments Since it looks like you have a kind of expansive definition of splatterpunk, which is awesome, you may want to try Unnatural Acts and Other Stories by Lucy Taylor. Some of the most amazing twisted shit I've read.

But yeah, second votes on Wrath and Lee too. Ray Garton's stuff can get pretty messed up. And don't forget Richard Laymon.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments I really enjoyed Genital Grinder Genital Grinder by Ryan Harding , definitely a complete gorefest.

message 8: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Survivor Survivor by J.F. Gonzalez is one of the most violent and gruesome books I've ever read. You should also check out The Summer I Died The Summer I Died (The Roger Huntington Saga, #1) by Ryan C. Thomas , and its sequel Born To Bleed: A Thriller Born To Bleed A Thriller by Ryan C. Thomas . Both horrific and both very well written.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Maxine wrote: "SurvivorSurvivor by J.F. Gonzalez is one of the most violent and gruesome books I've ever read. You should also check out The Summer I Died[bookcover:The Summer I Di..."

Good call, Maxine!! :)

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Kevin wrote: "Sorry it was meant to say Maxine and Kate, though I could do with a drink at the moment!!"

I hear that! ;D

message 11: by Maxine Marsh (last edited May 29, 2016 07:08AM) (new)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments I also just thought of:

Exquisite Corpse Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite
and
Apeshit Apeshit  by Carlton Mellick III
and
Kin Kin by Kealan Patrick Burke

message 12: by Ekel (new)

Ekel Adolf | 2668 comments Maxine wrote: "
ApeshitApeshit  by Carlton Mellick III
"

I would also recommend the sequel, Clusterfuck.

Oh, and if you are a fan of guts and slimy intestines, Kevin Strange's Vampire Guts in Nuke Town could be something for you.

message 13: by Ekel (last edited Jun 05, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Ekel Adolf | 2668 comments I hope you'll enjoy Kevin Strange as much as I do. Strictly speaking, the genre is a special, unique blend of bizarro and horror, not necessarily splatterpunk, but nonetheless extreme.

Dinner At The Vomitropolis by Jesse Wheeler might also be of interest. The stories & novellas here are focussed more on vomit than on blood & gore, but make up a grotesque and extreme reading experience.

Sara (Empress Pengy) | 4 comments The Jigsaw Man by Gord Rollo really got to me for some reason. I usually have a very strong stomach, but this book - yeesh.

message 15: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Hey Kev, have you checked out Edward Lorn's work? I just read both Hope for the Wicked and Pennies for the Damned, both were absolutely horrific and graphic, and very well written. Check them out if you haven't already!

message 16: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Hey Kev, Burke is top notch, a very good writer. Check out both Thirty Miles South Of Dry County and Jack & Jill, both of which are fantastic novellas.

message 17: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (brandiec) | 229 comments Maxine wrote: "Hey Kev, have you checked out Edward Lorn's work? I just read both Hope for the Wicked and Pennies for the Damned, both were absolutely horrific and graphic, and ver..."

Maxine, I just finished Hope for the Wicked, which I had bought in ebook form on Google Play, but I can't find Pennies for the Damned. Where did you find it?

message 18: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments You're right Deborah, it looks like its not on Amazon right now. I got it through Netgalley, so maybe check there? It might not be there anymore because it has been awhile.

message 19: by Loki (new)

Loki Satyn | 3 comments I don't know if I should be doing that, but if you are looking for something extreme Mind and Flesh by 8Loki could be right up your alley.

Mmm beware of reviews, they are heavy with spoilers. Part 1 is intentionally very confusing, best not to know what it leads to.

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I love The Summer I Died, Survivor, and Kin, which have already been listed. Try The Cannibal Within for something gory and unique.

BTW, someone just alerted me that there's a third book in the Summer I Died series called Scars of the Broken.

message 21: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Sara (Empress Pengy) wrote: "The Jigsaw Man by Gord Rollo really got to me for some reason. I usually have a very strong stomach, but this book - yeesh."

Yes, Jigsaw is very gory but has a lot of heart too.

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Kev wrote: "Hi Tressa
I have the Cannibal Within to read and I am in the process of reading Kin. I own and also read Survivor, superb book by a great and sadly missed author.
Kev."

I hope you enjoy Cannibal! I don't think I saw Off Season listed, but this is one of the first gory books I ever read back in the eighties. That, and Out Are the Lights by Laymon. This may seem tame today compared to books like Bighead, but it really grossed me out back then.

message 23: by Kimberly (last edited Oct 30, 2016 08:02AM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5685 comments Mod
All of my choices are listed already--LOL!
Particular favorites of mine are:
Kin by Kealan Patrick Burke , Kealan Patrick Burke
Header by Edward Lee , Ed Lee (Although I've heard The Bighead (Author's Preferred Version) by Edward Lee was also great, I haven't gotten to that one yet.
The Summer I Died (The Roger Huntington Saga, #1) by Ryan C. Thomas , Ryan C. Thomas
The Jigsaw Man by Gord Rollo , Gord Rollo (not really "splatter punk", but some great scenes!
SURVIVOR by J.F. Gonzalez fits the criteria (personally, I hated that one ;) ).

message 24: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Tressa wrote: "I love The Summer I Died, Survivor, and Kin, which have already been listed. Try The Cannibal Within for something gory and unique.

BTW, someone just alerted me that there's a third..."

I didn't even know this was out! I just picked it up, very excited!

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5685 comments Mod
Maxine wrote: "Tressa wrote: "I love The Summer I Died, Survivor, and Kin, which have already been listed. Try The Cannibal Within for something gory and unique.

BTW, someone just alerted me that ..."

I hadn't heard about that one, either!!!

message 26: by Peter (new)

Peter Tenuto | 44 comments I think I may have just stumbled upon a new favorite sub-genre...

message 27: by Ekel (new)

Ekel Adolf | 2668 comments My new personal champion from the Bizarro genre:

Damnation 101 by Kevin Sweeney

message 28: by Kenneth (last edited Feb 07, 2018 09:02PM) (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1511 comments Mod
Succulent Prey Succulent Prey by Wrath James White by Wrath James White. Extremely graphic cannabalism and twisted sex, yet with an excellent story and characters.

message 29: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 80 comments Wow. I had no idea these were genres! Plus, the names sound cool. "Splatterpunk" just has that ding-a-ling li'll ring...

message 30: by Peter (new)

Peter Caffrey | 4 comments If I was to be brutally honest, I found Header to be pretty dull. I went in expecting something challenging because it was acclaimed as a splatterpunk classic, but it was so repetitive I found myself bored pretty quickly. It has one shocking moment, the first header, but it just repeats it to such a degree it becomes banal.

message 31: by Peter (new)

Peter Topside | 171 comments I've been curious for awhile what these two genres are all about. Could anyone bring me up to date?

message 32: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Never read Bizarro but read a few Splatterpunk. Which is basically horror with a emphasis on gore and comic book violence. Usually there is also a strong strain of dark humour. It strongly depends on the author, as early authors like Shaun Hutson, Clive Baker and even Richard Laymon are considered Splatterpunk but have their own unique style that later books which are considered Splatterpunk do not have. So it can be considered a fluid term. Although the one defining feature which cannot be denied is the strong gore factor.

message 33: by David (new)

David Pollison | 21 comments You should che
check out Ray Garton & Shaun Hutson.
My favorite Ray Garton Books are: Live Girls its sequel Night Life, Trade Secrets, The Serpent Girl, Lot Lizards, The New Neighbor and The Loveliest Dead.
From Shaun Hutson: Spawn, Relics, Assassin, Slugs, Breeding Ground, Deathday, The Skull & Erebus.

SplatterPunkReader | 4 comments What a great list this all is so far. I feel like I will never run out of books to read :)

I'm just starting to get into the splatterpunk genre. I really like gory stomach wounds, along with slimy guts and entrails in my horror. Any books that do particularly well with that?

message 35: by Phil (new)

Phil | 96 comments Hey Splatterpunkreader, I will vote for The Bighead here. More gore than you can shake a stick at.

message 36: by Scott (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 375 comments SplatterPunkReader wrote: "What a great list this all is so far. I feel like I will never run out of books to read :)

I'm just starting to get into the splatterpunk genre. I really like gory stomach wounds, along with slimy..."

You can always start at the beginning and read

The Light at the End, John Skipp or The Cleanup also by John Skipp. These titles along with David J. Schow's, The Kill Riff and Clive Barker's Books of Blood are the reason why the term was coined.

Some good modern titles are
The Bighead, The Pig And The House, Header, Going Monstering, and Flesh Gothic all by Edward Lee
Urban Gothic, Brian Keene
Survivor, J.F. Gonzalez
Succulent Prey, Wrath James White
Exquisite Corpse, Poppy Z. Brite
or to get a taste of a lot of these authors you can always read
Sixty-Five Stirrup Iron Road, edited by Brian Keene.

hope this helps
happy reading

SplatterPunkReader | 4 comments Thanks so much for the suggestions! I've seen some of those recommended elsewhere so they must be good. I'll take as much guts and gore as I can get :)

message 38: by Peter (new)

Peter Topside | 171 comments I just read through Toxic Love by Kristopher Triana and boy was it probably the grossest book that I've seen to date;

Toxic Love (RedLine #1) by Kristopher Triana