Read Along! The Grantchester Mystery Series by James Runcie discussion

Introductions > Welcome to Grantchester!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bloomsbury Publishing (last edited Apr 06, 2016 09:01AM) (new)

Bloomsbury Publishing (bloomsbury) | 4 comments Mod
Hello all! I thought I would start off this read along by introducing myself (hi!) and put in place our "master read along schedule."

To start, I'm Megan, marketing and social media manager here at Bloomsbury's US office, and this is actually my first time reading any of the Sidney Chambers books. I love the PBS series Grantchester, and I'm VERY excited for season 2 (check out the trailer here: http://to.pbs.org/218AVQ8).

Read Along schedule for SIDNEY CHAMBERS AND THE PERILS OF THE NIGHT

April 6 - April 11: The Perils of the Night
April 12 - April 15: Love and Arson
April 16 - April 21: Unholy Week
April 23 - April 28: The Hat Trick
April 30 - May 5: The Uncertainty Principle
May 7 - May 12: Appointment in Berlin
***schedule has been updated to reflect Read Along of Sidney Chambers and the Perils of the Night

Bam cooks the books ;-) (bamcooks) Bloomsbury Publishing wrote: "Hello all! I thought I would start off this read along by introducing myself (hi!) and put in place our "master read along schedule."

To start, I'm Megan, marketing and social media manager here ..."

Hi Megan! I am a retired fiber artist from Chicago and a huge mystery fan. I've been meaning to read the Grantchester books after enjoying the PBS series so this sounds like the perfect opportunity.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (meg_ernst) | 17 comments Mod
Hi all new members and thanks for joining the read along! Feel free to introduce yourself in this thread (I'm Megan, see my note above). Have you read Sidney Chambers before (or are you a newbie like me), have you watched and enjoyed the show?

Just so you all know, we'll be getting started today with the first story in Sidney Chambers and The Shadow of Death and then meet back on the 10th to chat about it. Can't wait to hear from you all, and let's go! (p.s. here's a link to the story, if you haven't picked up the book yet: http://bit.ly/1TfbugA)

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Hi Megan, I'm Ruth and I'm in the UK - so I'm slightly ahead of you in that series 2 of Grantchester has already started here!

I hadn't read the books before but I really loved the first series of the TV programme so I'm currently listening to Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death on audio. So I'm all ready to join in!

message 5: by Megan (new)

Hi Ruth! Glad you could join :)

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hi, I'm Catherine, I'm in the US. I just started reading the books but have seen all of the Season One episodes. Looking forward to Season Two! And I'm enjoying the book as well.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Wonderful! Glad you could join in!

message 8: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I watched Series One when it first aired and have only recently finished listening to the audiobook of Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death. I really enjoyed both but they are quite different in their overall pace and nature.

Having now watched several of the second series I'm really curious to read the second book Sidney Chambers and The Perils of the Night to see how the two differ.

I love the TV series but the characters do seem to be getting very confrontational and I'm wondering how this series and its book counterpart compare - has anyone read the second book?

message 9: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I haven't even started the second book yet. I'll probably do the same thing I did before and read the book after I watch the show.

message 10: by Jean (new)

Jean (jcphelps) Hello, last year I read the first book in the Grantchester series, "Shadow of Death". I thoroughly enjoyed it, and wrote a review on both Amazon and here, reminding people that it was not like the PBS series at all, but it was still a great read, and I wanted more. So now with the second series starting on PBS, I'm getting ready to start "The Perils of the Night", but I don't see that you have posted a schedule to go with book yet.

message 11: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Jean wrote: "Hello, last year I read the first book in the Grantchester series, "Shadow of Death". I thoroughly enjoyed it, and wrote a review on both Amazon and here, reminding people that it was not like the ..."

Yes I'd like to carry on with the other books in the series, discussing them in the group.

message 12: by Jean (new)

Jean (jcphelps) So will the be a schedule coming up for a read along?? I hope others are interested as well

message 13: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I would be up for doing another group read too!!

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (anngayliaobarr) | 5 comments I have read the first three books in the Grantchester series. I enjoyed them because of the main character, but also because of the time period. The books give you a better understanding of that slice of time after WWII and (so far) into the early years of the Cold War period.)

message 15: by Megan (new)

Catherine wrote: "I would be up for doing another group read too!!"

Currently in talks about extending this for the 2nd book in the Grantchester series! Stay tuned!

message 16: by Megan (new)

Hi all! It's awesome you want to keep going with this series - so, why not, let's keep it going.

I'lll put together a schedule and post it tomorrow!

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine YAY! Thanks Megan!

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Ann wrote: "I have read the first three books in the Grantchester series. I enjoyed them because of the main character, but also because of the time period. The books give you a better understanding of that sl..."

Ann, I agree with you about the time period, it is really interesting. Have you ever read any of the Maisie Dobbs books by Jacqueline Winspear? Those are set in the time between WWI and WWII. Great series.

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann (anngayliaobarr) | 5 comments Catherine wrote: "Ann wrote: "I have read the first three books in the Grantchester series. I enjoyed them because of the main character, but also because of the time period. The books give you a better understandin..."

Catherine wrote: "Ann wrote: "I have read the first three books in the Grantchester series. I enjoyed them because of the main character, but also because of the time period. The books give you a better understandin..."

I hadn't heard of this series. I just downloaded one from my library to my Kindle. Looking forward to reading it Thanks.

message 20: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Megan wrote: "Hi all! It's awesome you want to keep going with this series - so, why not, let's keep it going.

I'lll put together a schedule and post it tomorrow!"

Thanks Megan

Bloomsbury Publishing (bloomsbury) | 4 comments Mod
Bloomsbury Publishing wrote: "Hello all! I thought I would start off this read along by introducing myself (hi!) and put in place our "master read along schedule."

To start, I'm Megan, marketing and social media manager here ..."

Hi, all! Here's the schedule for our read along of book 2 in The Grantchester Mystery Series, SIDNEY CHAMBERS OF THE PERILS OF THE NIGHT. If you're just joining us, feel free to look over the discussion of book 1 (Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death) or just jump right in!

April 6 - April 11: The Perils of the Night
April 12 - April 15: Love and Arson
April 16 - April 21: Unholy Week
April 23 - April 28: The Hat Trick
April 30 - May 5: The Uncertainty Principle
May 7 - May 12: Appointment in Berlin

I will try to post discussion prompts on Fridays (when it applies to the schedule), and for now, see you back here on April 11th to talk about The Perils of the Night!

message 22: by Jean (new)

Jean (jcphelps) Great, I really need to catch up..

message 23: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I thought I could get this from the library, but apparently everyone else has the same idea we do :) so I just ordered it from Amazon. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime shipping!!

message 24: by Jean (new)

Jean (jcphelps) Catherine wrote: "I thought I could get this from the library, but apparently everyone else has the same idea we do :) so I just ordered it from Amazon. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime shipping!!"

I did the same thing, but I got the kindle edition, its instant.. I agree thank goodness for Amazon Prime!

message 25: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I thought about getting the Kindle one, but since it's short stories, I like being able to see how many pages each story is. I still buy a lot of "real" books ... I like the feel and being able to hold the book in my hands. I wish I could just go all e-books because I'd have more room on my bookshelves, but I just like regular books too much!

message 26: by Jean (new)

Jean (jcphelps) Catherine wrote: "I thought about getting the Kindle one, but since it's short stories, I like being able to see how many pages each story is. I still buy a lot of "real" books ... I like the feel and being able to ..."
Oh I do too, but for some I just fine the kindle easier.. also you can library books via my kindle. But I interchange from paper and electronic, and computer... but really like the feel of real book. I kindle book will let you see the sections and you can book mark and flip to see how many pages you have to go in a section or chapter.

message 27: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I need to familiarize myself with my Kindle more so I can learn how to do things on it. I don't use it often enough. I actually have two of them -- a hand-me-down Kindle Fire that my brother gave me, and a more basic one I bought myself. They both have tons of books on them, yet I keep buying more regular books.

message 28: by Jean (new)

Jean (jcphelps) Use the KindleFire, that's what I have it does alot more than I think the regular one does. It took time to get use too, and to learn what was where, but I enjoy it on a trip it's so much easier than taking books along when you have space limits.

message 29: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I will definitely do that when I go on vacation in a few weeks. I so rarely go on long trips that I usually don't have to worry about that.