The Royal Readers discussion

ADSOM- March 2016 series > A Darker Shade of Magic Overall Discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ari (last edited Mar 07, 2016 09:30AM) (new)

Ari (arithewizard) OK for some reason (ok its just 7th of March) everyone's quiet, so it's still spoiler-free for me to write what I think so far, before i forget anything hah. (Im still reading this book! or actually listening to an audiobook) AND MY SEMI REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS, I DUNNO YET WHERE MY FINGERS TAKE ME just in case
At first everything was veeeery confusing about the Londons and I still occasionally forget which London smells like what and stuff, but the parallel aspect of it very cool. Im really digging it right now. (ALSO thanks lila for normal description- Dull London, Kell Lomdon, Creepy L. and Dead London. Serioulsy this is actually very helping)
I didnt really like Kell from the beginning (sorry friends) (ok also it may be because of the narrator who's reading a book.. even though he's doing good job differentiating the characters and giving them accents, he's just way TOO mysterious and ~mean-ish ~while voicing Kell and it makes him sound :| all the time). And it makes a lil irritating to read a book abt a character you dont care about. BUT i freaking love Rhy, Hes the most amazing spoiled child i wanna hug him. (KELL WHY DIDNT you listen to your precious lil brother and decided to do that stupid ass deal anyway??) (on the other hand, if you didnt, there wouldnt be a book about it)
I was really enjoying all the stuff that was happening up until like Lila and Kell's actual journey or whatever you might call it. Right now they are in Red London and like, it was sorta boring to listen to, but then Lila was like "wassup, there are posters of you every 2 meters are you a prince or what" and Kell is all *backstory unlocked* and i really enjoyed that bit where he was telling about the guys he killed for his smol bro. Their relationship is also like super important for me, and i may or may not teared up in the bus while listening to that chapter. MORE RHY AND KELL BROTHER STUFF
And Lila is a holy freaking amazing character! I hope she has a ship to sail and becomes a pirate and her dreams come true. I sorta fell in love with her immediately. Like, and she says those things which maybe should be obvious but not always arent, like "Some people steal to stay alive, and some people steal to feel alive" or "Id rather die on adventure than live standing still" (which is smth like i wanna be more like her, but im too comfortable in my comfort zone)
Oh, one more thing - I simply adore Schwab's take on magic - or maybe even Kell's take on magic - that it is something in your blood, it is all about balance and either you control it or it controls you (maybe i got it all wrong) and everyone strives for power so its all v dangerous stuff. Alos, Holland is creepy.
ANd i love the wit! this book cracks me up sometimes, but like, a little.
One thing that im actually excpecting to happen but really do not want to because it would be too obvious, is to Kell and Lila become like a couple or whatever?? i so do not ship it and please dont hate me but i just done see them together at all.. good friend who save each other's lives? Duh yes please. But like.... idk....
I think im forgetting something anyway, but im good for now! Ill write again once I actually finish the book hah

message 2: by Ebba (new)

Ebba (ebbo) | 4 comments Masha wrote: "OK for some reason (ok its just 7th of March) everyone's quiet, so it's still spoiler-free for me to write what I think so far, before i forget anything hah. (Im still reading this book! or actuall..."

yes yes yes i agree with you 100%!! Hated Kell at the beginning but he grows on you further on. I really enjoyed the end of the book, the pace really picks up and Lila has some awesome badass moments *no spoilers ;)))*

message 3: by Lorryn (new)

Lorryn Woodward I am about half way through and I love it so far !! I am hoping I finish today.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (berry_bookish) | 6 comments I adored this book. It was just so well written and a breath of fresh air compared to all of the YA fantasy/dystopian I've been reading lately.

The following may contain spoilers! Don't read if you haven't finished the book :D ...but hurry up and finish it, omg!

Kell & Lila were so much fun to follow and I loved their banter. They built out more of Lila's personality, I thought; but hopefully we'll get plenty more of Kell in the next book! I really liked that they didn't force these two together into an instalove romance. This book takes place over a very short period of time and it just wouldn't have been realistic or true to their characters. I think that's what most YA authors are afraid to do - afraid we won't like a book if there is no swoony romance between the two main characters. Kell & Lila definitely had chemistry and I see something maybe developing down the road but I'm excited to keep reading about them separately or together!

And any speculation about Lila's glass eye?! Might she be a long lost Antari??? It would explain her moving between the Londons. I can't wait to read the next book and find out :) I have to wait at least a week or so for the book to get here because mine's coming in my musemonthly box along with some tea! The agony!

message 5: by Lorryn (new)

Lorryn Woodward Holy cow I just finished and I loved it. I love Lila so much. I need the next book but of course there are people ahead of me at the library. Holland was horrible and the twins. And Rhy is kind of amazing too. I think Red London is breathtaking.

message 6: by Lorryn (new)

Lorryn Woodward Laura wrote: "I adored this book. It was just so well written and a breath of fresh air compared to all of the YA fantasy/dystopian I've been reading lately.

The following may contain spoilers! Don't read if y..."

Yes omg that's what I thought about Lila too. I am so hoping that's what her secret is. I can't wait to learn more about her.

message 7: by Ebba (new)

Ebba (ebbo) | 4 comments Didn't even think about the glass eye wow I hope she's an antari! That would be really cool and she must have some kind of magic.

But hey! What about the r o m a n c e? I felt like there was a Lila & Rhy-thing going in the end! Also I've seen so many who ship Kell & Rhy which I didn't feel at all???

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (berry_bookish) | 6 comments Ebba wrote: "Didn't even think about the glass eye wow I hope she's an antari! That would be really cool and she must have some kind of magic.

But hey! What about the r o m a n c e? I felt like there was a Li..."

I'd be very surprised if there was ever a romance between Lila & Rhy - I think he's just devilishly handsome and a serious flirt! I also didn't feel any Kell and Rhy vibe either...I just think they're very close - like brothers or parabatai ;)

message 9: by Lorryn (new)

Lorryn Woodward I didn't get a romance vibe really anywhere. It's refreshing. I kinda thought maybe Kell and Lila but I like that it hasn't come to to that if it does.

message 10: by Leah (new)

Leah (azkabannedbooks) I read this book last summer and holy pigs, it was amazing. Honestly, Rhy was my favorite character!! I love him so freaking much. Although, I of course loved Kell and Lila!! I can't wait to start AGOS ahhhhh

message 11: by Ari (new)

Ari (arithewizard) I have finished it! Yay! SPOILERS AGAIN.
I did enjoy the book, although I find it a liiiiiiittle bit overhyped. I must say I freaking love Rhy - honestly my favourite character in the whole book- but I have mixed feelings about Kell's returning Rhy back to life and binding their lives. Isn't it an irresponsible to thing to do? Returning people back to life usually isn't good. (Although I get it, Rhy is the bestest and he couldn't NOT do what he had done) (still...)
The thing that bugged me tho - didn't you find some plot twists sort of predictable? Also there were like 5 sentences with just one word: "Run." and then the chapters ended which I found really hilarious. y'all participate in marathon or smth? :D
I totally love it that there was barely romance at all. Like what, honestly, two kisses for luck don't even count imo. TBH I didn't even feel any chemistry between them, but I enjoyed the banter!
And Ebba, yes! I felt Rhy-Lila thing too ? ?? Like it started even when she first saw him, and it was all like "he was staring at her for like real long" and at the end of the book too! Rhy-Kell tho is just hell of a strong bromance. Like, when Kell told how he killed for Rhy?? Made me tear up. And just they have the coolest relationship.
I loved the ending, it was super light and made me feel sunny and hopeful inside. I hope Lila becomes Captain Bard one day. And wassup with her eye?
AND YES LEAH - RHY!!!!
One more thing I found cool - the language! Mas aven, did I love the Arnesian language and the one spoken in White London and just!!!!! love the linguistic aspect of it.
1) So do you think magic is about balance or dominance?
2) what London would be YOUR London? Or the one you'd love to see the most?

message 12: by Ari (new)

Ari (arithewizard) I have finished it! Yay! SPOILERS AGAIN.
I did enjoy the book, although I find it a liiiiiiittle bit overhyped. I must say I freaking love Rhy - honestly my favourite character in the whole book- but I have mixed feelings about Kell's returning Rhy back to life and binding their lives. Isn't it an irresponsible to thing to do? Returning people back to life usually isn't good. (Although I get it, Rhy is the bestest and he couldn't NOT do what he had done) (still...)
The thing that bugged me tho - didn't you find some plot twists sort of predictable? Also there were like 5 sentences with just one word: "Run." and then the chapters ended which I found really hilarious. y'all participate in marathon or smth? :D
I totally love it that there was barely romance at all. Like what, honestly, two kisses for luck don't even count imo. TBH I didn't even feel any chemistry between them, but I enjoyed the banter!
And Ebba, yes! I felt Rhy-Lila thing too ? ?? Like it started even when she first saw him, and it was all like "he was staring at her for like real long" and at the end of the book too! Rhy-Kell tho is just hell of a strong bromance. Like, when Kell told how he killed for Rhy?? Made me tear up. And just they have the coolest relationship.
I loved the ending, it was super light and made me feel sunny and hopeful inside. I hope Lila becomes Captain Bard one day. And wassup with her eye?
AND YES LEAH - RHY!!!!
One more thing I found cool - the language! Mas aven, did I love the Arnesian language and the one spoken in White London and just!!!!! love the linguistic aspect of it.
1) So do you think magic is about balance or dominance?
2) what London would be YOUR London? Or the one you'd love to see the most?

message 13: by Clémence (new)

Clémence (clemireads) I just finished this book, and oh boy, it was a hell of a ride! I really like the concept and how the magic was presented, and the parallel universes, etc. And I really like the characters too, Kell and Lila are fab, though I would love to have seen more of Rhy! What else can I add? I think this book is really well made, and I love how there is still much suspense and questions, which I hope will be answered in the next book!

message 14: by Clémence (new)

Clémence (clemireads) Laura wrote: "And any speculation about Lila's glass eye?! Might she be a long lost Antari??? It would explain her moving between the Londons. I can't wait to read the next book and find out :) "

I was so surprised when I found out about the glass eye! It has to mean something, I really hope it will be explained in the second book... It has to be something important!!