The Royal Readers discussion

Salt To The Sea- March 2016 BOTM > Overall Discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I LOVED THIS BOOK! At first, it was a bit slow, but that's only because the story was building. I loved Joana, Florian, and Emilia, but did not like Alfred at all. I understand his purpose for the story but didn't like him. He was very selfish, shallow and conceded. The ending made me cry and (spoiler) I totally shipped Joana and Florian from day one. Hope all of you enjoy or enjoyed this book as much as I did. Also, I posted a little review of Salt to the Sea on my page if you guys want to check it out. Happy reading!

message 2: by Ana (new)

Ana | 6 comments Wow!! This book was amazing! I must say I enjoyed the writing style. It made the book move quickly. I have to pick up her previous book. I've heard great things about that one as well.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I'm in the minority with this one - I did not enjoy this book.

It was an easy read and I got through it in a day, but I just didn't enjoy the story. To me, there really wasn't a story. There was no build up, no tension - it was just people walking through a country to get on a boat. The quick chapters never allowed me to get emotionally invested in any of the characters. The backstories that were provided did little to progress the plot, in fact, I don't think they had any impact on the plot. (I was also able to figure a lot of it out in the beginning) Again, I felt like I was just reading a book about people walking. Basically, by the end, all the characters just blended together. Alfred's character was pointless, it seemed like he was only there for the readers to laugh at.

I appreciate what the author was trying to do/the historical merit of this book, but I think it could have been done so much better. Maybe focusing on one or two characters with longer chapters. I don't know. It just wasn't for me.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Jones (boooklife) (boooklife) | 3 comments Just....wow. This book was amazing and it's funny cause when I first started it I wasn't into it and just thought it was okay and I thought I would end up giving it 3 stars but nope!! 5 stars and it's one of my new faves! The feels I got from this book! I really enjoyed all the side characters, Ingrid was my fave and I really loved the relationship between the wandering kid and the shoe poet and I learned a lot too from reading this. I don't usually read historical fiction but I'm so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and read this.