Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Off Topic > Embarrassing/Silly book "things"

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I was just looking through a book list, and saw a particular book that made me think of this, and a couple of other things which I find a little, well, embarrassing. And where else could I share them but here? And desperately hope that someone else has silly things like this ...

Ok, so, this is going to sound pretty stupid, but for some reason, every time I think of the book Captain Corelli's Mandolin, my brain always thinks it's Captain Corelli's Mandarin. Why?! Why, brain, why?

And the embarrassing thing, for the longest time, I thought that George Eliot was a man, and Evelyn Waugh was a woman.

Please tell me I'm not alone with dumb stuff like this!

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Mar 02, 2016 04:02PM) (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2632 comments It's not really a major one or particularly embarrassing, but there's a line in one of the early Harry Potter books that says "a sliver of gold", and every single time without fail I read "a silver of gold" and get confused. Even though I know what the line says from reading the book so many times. It's just lodged in my brain that way.

message 3: by Tia (last edited Mar 02, 2016 05:30PM) (new)

Tia | 128 comments Jody wrote: "I was just looking through a book list, and saw a particular book that made me think of this, and a couple of other things which I find a little, well, embarrassing. And where else could I share th..."

I thought George Eliot was a man and Evelyn Waugh was a woman too! For a while, I thought Enid Blyton was a man :)

message 4: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1305 comments I gave up trying to figure out which gender the author is. Reading Andre Nortons books broke me of wondering. I know that it used to matter, but does it really mean as much now as it did then

message 5: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I also thought Enid Blyton was a man!

message 6: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I did not know how to pronounce Seamus' name until the first Harry Potter movie came out and someone actually said it. I don't know why, either, because I got the hang of everyone else's names perfectly fine. Even the ones with much harder and/or stranger names.

message 7: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Also, I don't know if anyone else does this too (I'm sure there must be at least some other people that do) but when I'm reading a book sometimes I'll imagine myself as one of the characters (which I'm sure a lot of other people do as well) but a lot of the time I'll imagine myself as a completely different character that I've made up myself and I'll come up with a name, a backstory, what their storyline or part of the plot would be, who they end up with. That's probably why some books take me longer to read, because I just end up getting distracted by own daydreams rather than actually reading them.

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Haha names pronunciation is sometimes so difficult, specially in fantasy world. The opposite happened to me while listening to The Way of Kings, I had to look up how the names were spelled for my review and found that I would definitely not have pronounced them like the narrator did!

message 9: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Sophie wrote: "Haha names pronunciation is sometimes so difficult, specially in fantasy world. The opposite happened to me while listening to The Way of Kings, I had to look up how the names were s..."

Unless I already know how a name is pronounced, I will always say them how they're spelt.

message 10: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Annika wrote: "Francesca wrote: "I did not know how to pronounce Seamus' name until the first Harry Potter movie came out and someone actually said it. I don't know why, either, because I got the hang of everyone..."

I definitely pronounced her name wrong in the first book! I pronounced it Herm-I-own. It's still fairly closer to her actual pronunciation to how I pronounced Seamus' name which was literally Sea-mus.

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Now that I'm thinking of it, Kvothe from The Name of the Wind is maybe one of the worst names he could have picked. My best friend, who suffers from dyslexia gave up the book partly because of this ;)

message 12: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Annika wrote: "I'm more likely to cry because I'm explaining something about a book to a friend than from something that actually happens to me."

Me too! I'm always more likely to cry over something in a book, movie, or TV show than I am over something that actually happens to me in real life.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2632 comments Francesca wrote: "Annika wrote: "Francesca wrote: "I did not know how to pronounce Seamus' name until the first Harry Potter movie came out and someone actually said it. I don't know why, either, because I got the h..."

I was exactly the same, especially for Hermione's name. I went with Her-my-own. I remember reading the first book out loud to my dad, and asking if I could just pick another name for her instead but he wouldn't let me (because "that's not her name, so it wouldn't be fair"). I also called Seamus See-mus until I heard it in the movie.

message 14: by Michelle (last edited Mar 15, 2016 05:54AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments Annika wrote: "Francesca wrote: "I did not know how to pronounce Seamus' name until the first Harry Potter movie came out and someone actually said it. I don't know why, either, because I got the hang of everyone..."

I admit to also having pronounced both Hermione and Seamus' names incorrectly in my initial reading of Harry Potter.

Seamus was "Sea-Mus" and I thought it was a stupid name that reminded me of a ripped seam. Turns out... I was the stupid one. ;)

Hermione was "Her-Mee-Owe-Knee" if you can even imagine it being butchered so badly. Oh, the shame!

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I pronounced Seamus as "Sea-mus" as well. However, I'm proud to say that I pronounced Hermione right. I remember that all of my friends pronounced it "Herm-e-own," and I vividly remember them telling me I was wrong. It was a great "ha!" moment when the movie came out hahaa.

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Oh! Another silly thing..in Harry Potter I read "prefect" as "perfect." I guess my mind changed the order of the letters on me. I also thought it was pronounced "Private Drive" not "Privet Drive"