Play Book Tag discussion

February 2016: World War II > Dream When You're Feeling Blue / Elizabeth Berg - 2.5**

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5534 comments Dream When You’re Feeling Blue – Elizabeth Berg
Book on CD read by the author.
2.5 **

From the book jacket: Berg takes us to Chicago at the time of World War II in this story about three sisters, their lively Irish family, and the men they love. As the novel opens, Kitty and Louise Heaney say good-bye to their boyfriends Julian and Michael, who are going to fight overseas. On the domestic front … the Heaney sisters sit at their kitchen table every evening to write letters – Louise to her fiancé, Kitty to the man she wishes fervently would propose, and [youngest sister] Tish to an ever changing group of men she meets at USO dances. In the letters the sisters send and receive are intimate glimpses of life both on the battlefront and at home. … The lifelong consequences of the choices the sisters make are at the heart of this suprb novel about the power of love and the enduring strength of family.

My reactions
It started out okay, got very interesting in the middle and then completely lost credulity in the last two chapters. Lost a whole star there.

I have to say that what I most enjoyed about this novel was the look at everyday life on the domestic front during this very trying time in history. I especially liked the way Berg painted Kitty’s own awakening to her true ambitions and goals in life, and how she talked about the way that the roles of women in America were forever being changed by the requirements of war. I also really enjoyed the strong family dynamics in the Heaney family – mother Margaret, father Frank, and younger brothers all added layers of nuance to the central story of the three Heaney sisters.

Berg narrated the audio version herself. She does a credible job, but she should really let a professional voice artist read her books.

message 2: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments The ending chapters ruined this book for me, up until then I loved it.

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2050 comments Yep, I had the same reaction. Terrible, terrible ending!

message 4: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 704 comments Ditto to what Ellen and Linda said. Loved the book - until the ending which was abrupt and made no sense.