1984 1984 discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alec (new)

Alec Ruble The book 1984, by George Orwell is a great book to read. This book is based on a dystopian future. This book is based on a corrupt government that uses technology to over run the country. This is a great book because it has plenty of mysterious scenes in it. I really like mysteries, so I like when the characters try to get to the bottom of things.

The book’s setting is in London, England. This country has a corrupt government. With the advances in technology the government likes to keep a close eye on the citizens. The quote, “Big brother is watching you,” is a famous quote out of this book, and it explains some of the book for you. I don’t really like how the government watched them so close, so I read deeper to find out what a few people thought about it. With this type of government it calls for a dull society, but some people wanted to change that.

A man named Winston is the man that wants to get to the bottom of things. Winston really doesn’t like all the space he doesn’t get. In this point I can relate to him. For example, I don’t like people in my space 24/7. The way he makes his decisions is very bold. It’s very inspiring to what Winston does to do what he needs to do. The way he acted made me want to read more, because he wasn’t putting up with this any more. Every time someone doesn’t like something you always want to see what he can do. “He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.” In this quote it makes you think about what you want to do with your future. One reason I loved this book was because I love how it was set up and how it made me think.

Right now we are having presidential campaigns, and some people I don’t really want to become president. The reasons are in the book. I saw how the future could turn out with the wrong leadership. Someone might want complete control like it is in the book. This isn’t a good thing. “War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.” This is one of the most famous quotes from this book. It is stamped everywhere around the country. This is something to think about. What could our future president say that makes us think?

This book can make you think about your decisions. This is something to consider reading because my mind thought about a lot of things while reading it. It might have even made me rethink who I would actually want as president. The book 1984 by George Orwellin could be a great book to read. Read it and see what can get your mind stirring. What do you see our future as after you read this book?

message 2: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Wolf I adore 1984 and Orwell's writing is out of this world. I enjoy this novel to no end! Everyone should read this at least once and understand the dangers of a totalitarian government and the importance of being an educated and informed society.

I live in a country that made an incredibly dumb choice in our last presidential election. I remember a couple of years ago I was half way through this book and the annual presidential report came on stating all sorts of blatant lies such as "we have brought the crime rate down by 80%" and other nonsense. A few days later they were trying to approve a law that would allow them to prosecute people for publishing "disrespectful" pictures of politicians on social media (people had been sharing pictures of politicians sleeping on the job asking how it was possible they earned so much money when they were literally sleeping all day long). That didn't go through, thankfully, but for a second there I felt like I had stepped into Orwell's dystopian reality and next they'd want to prosecute people for thoughtcrime.

All best on your election. Hope the best person wins.

message 3: by Vincent (last edited Mar 18, 2016 03:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vincent Zheng I had a very hard time reading the book, as the writing was sometimes quite hard to decipher (I'm not used to that type of writing). However, it is definitely worthy of "classic" title, as it made me question the intentions of the world's governments. Is it worth t to give up a little liberty for security? When has it gone too far? When will we still be able to stop?
After i finished the book, even though I did not fully understand everything (re-read is in the schedule), it made almost every book I read afterwards seem obsolete; lacking substance and a deeper message.
Definitely a very important lesson to be learnt from the book.
Regarding the OP's election(I'm assuming you're from the US), you'll still have your guns if the government tries anything like that- after all, that was the whole point of them being in the constitution, right?