THE Group for Authors! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Discussion > Office Hours - March 2016

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Mar 10, 2016 10:39AM) (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Looking forward to discussing marketing tips and strategies with you on Thursday, March 10 at 11 a.m. PST. I will open this thread 15 minutes before so you can leave your questions and then I'll be answering them live until 12 p.m. PST.

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Hi folks! Looking forward to discussing your marketing plans here.

message 3: by Bob (new)

Bob Buchanan | 3 comments Hi Cynthia,
I published my book last October, but am having trouble
getting folks to know it is available.....any thoughts on how I
can generate interest?
Bob
Virginia

message 4: by Bob (new)

Bob Buchanan | 3 comments Cynthia,
P.S. The book is pertinent to the 2016 Presidential elections.
Bob
Virginia

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Bob wrote: "Hi Cynthia,
I published my book last October, but am having trouble
getting folks to know it is available.....any thoughts on how I
can generate interest?
Bob
Virginia"

Hi Bob! Congrats on publishing the book! Now the hard part starts ;)

Can you tell me a bit about what you've already done? I see you joined Goodreads, but your profile is still pretty empty... adding a bio, professional author photo, and some books to your shelves will help tremendously in introducing yourself to readers.

It looks like your book was published in paperback as well as eBook, so have you tried running a giveaway? Getting your book into the hands of readers is important in getting the word out!

I would recommend completing your profile first though. Let me dig up a few great author examples to share with you - one sec!

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Cynthia wrote: "I would recommend completing your profile first though. Let me dig up a few great author examples to share with you - one sec!"

So I recommend checking out Michael Connelly and Dave Cullen as good examples of complete author profiles. Here's why:

- Clear author photo (people like to interact with people online!)
- Lots of information to learn more: Both authors indicate the authors who have influenced them, and provide their website information.
- Both authors have Ask the Author on and have given thoughtful answers that shed more light on what they do.

Just a few quick tips on building a great profile!

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Cynthia wrote: "Just a few quick tips on building a great profile! "

One more thing! There's also this blog post on our Authors and Advertisers blog that describes 5 things to make your author profile great.

Hope this helps!

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments W.C. wrote: "Hi Cynthia,

Up to now all my sales have been E-Books. I thought this sight also included hard covers as well. If not how can I generate hard cover sales or direct potential customers to my hard cover books."

Hi Bill! Thanks for joining. Keep in mind Goodreads is not a retailer, though we do link to sites that sell books on the book pages. Readers have all kinds of personal reading preferences (I personally enjoy reading any book over 400 pages on my Kindle, but would still want to own the print version to show off on my bookshelf) (though that bookshelf is becoming increasingly crowded).

I think your question though is more generally, "How do you increase sales?" And the answer to that is: "Keep doing marketing." You build sales over time, and as word spreads about how awesome your book is, readers will want to find out what it's all about.

Can you tell me a little about what you have done so far that you think has worked? What kind of marketing have you enjoyed doing?

message 9: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments One of the important goals of marketing is driving awareness. There are now more than 400,000 self-published books hitting the market each year. That's on top of the number of books that are produced by traditional publishers. How do you make your book stand out in that market?

There are many ways to promote a book, and I'm a big believer in setting up a great online foundation. Your profile tells readers why they should listen to you. What's your background, who influenced your writing, where have you been published before, etc.

message 10: by Lenita (last edited Mar 10, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

Lenita Sheridan | 104 comments Hi Cynthia,

I just wrote the last chapter of the last book in my trilogy. It's still a long way to production--needs formatting, proofreading, and copyrighting. I plan on contacting a Christian book marketing service. How soon should I do this? I'm also planning a Goodreads Giveaway, but can't trust that to done until the books are in my hand. My original release date is this summer.

Lenita

message 11: by Bob (new)

Bob Buchanan | 3 comments Thank you for the advice Cynthia. What are the best marketing options for those of us with limited funds for advertising?
Bob
Virginia

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Lenita wrote: "I just wrote the last chapter of the last book in my trilogy. It's still a long way to production--needs formatting, proofreading, and copyrighting. I plan on contacting a Christian book marketing service. How soon should I do this? I'm also planning a Goodreads Giveaway, but can't trust that to done until the books are in my hand. My original release date is this summer."

Hi Lenita! Congrats on finishing the trilogy! That's so exciting. Sounds like you still have some work ahead of you for this final book, but that shouldn't preclude you from giving away the first two books in the trilogy! This will help you get more readers aware of the trilogy and anticipating the third installment!

Also, you can tease some content via the writing section, here. That's another way to get fans to get familiar with your work, and even leave you some feedback (since you still have some time to edit if you wanted to).

Hope that helps!

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Bob wrote: "Thank you for the advice Cynthia. What are the best marketing options for those of us with limited funds for advertising?
Bob
Virginia"

Hi Bob! You might find this video on Marketing Your Book for Goodreads Authors helpful.

message 14: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) | 287 comments Thanks for the great questions! Keep an eye out for the next Author Newsletter for information about the next Office Hours. Signing off!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.