HRC Ravenclaw Common Room discussion

MAR 16: a wrinkle in time > First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Devin (new)

Devin Waddell Babcock | 115 comments Mod
is this a reread for anyone..? I read it as a child, but the only thing that I can remember is that it was one of my favorites. Excited to get started (:

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 7 comments I own this book! Yay, don't have to track it down at the library. I read it as a child, and a handful of times again over the last 15 years. Will be lovely to read it again!

message 3: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 21 comments I read it just a few years ago and I remember thinking that this is one of the first children's books that I think inspires thought. A great first fantasy/sci-fi book!

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) | 20 comments I just got the book from the library on my iPad. Starting this afternoon. This is the first time I read this book. I have no idea what to expect.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Myhrberg This the first time I am reading A Wrinkle in Time! I am really excited well I guess I should be since I picked the book hahah. I am going to start tonight and just see where it takes me.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Fragale Just finished chapter one. I remember checking it out a few times at the library as a kid but it never seemed to be the right time for me to read it. Always one of my big sister's favorites. Perhaps that's why it seemed so daunting....

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 21 comments This will be a reread but I don't remember much of anything from the first time. I'm also excited!

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 21 comments This will be a reread but I don't remember much of anything from the first time. I'm also excited!

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Rothenhoffer | 4 comments Just ordered my book and it will be here tomorrow! Can't wait to start reading!

message 10: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 22 comments I received this book as a gift when I was little and never read it. I have sadly since lost that copy, but was gifted it again in the form of a graphic novel. I am interested in seeing have much or little this version of it will differ. Hopefully not too much as it looks like it will be very enjoyable!

message 11: by Salli (new)

Salli Thompson (sallift) | 72 comments Mod
Read most of it in Jr. High but don't remember anything from it. The main character is reminding me a LOT of Harry Potter (whining and angst, outcast, obsessed with absent father). I'm reading it to my kids and they are interested so far.
I'll have to look up the graphic novel. I don't have clear pictures in my mind of what some of the characters look like and I'd love to see someone else's interpretation.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Myhrberg I'm about 100 pages into the book. Trying to read one chapter a day. I am really enjoying it. It has a similar feel as Harry Potter and chronicles of narnia.

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) | 20 comments This is my first book with the group... When do we start discussing the book?

message 14: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Pierse | 3 comments this is the first time I have read this book....2 pages in and I was already in love! was so torn between reading watching deathly hallows 2 tonight, finally put the book down because I was afraid I would get sacked in and never get to bed!

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Duplantier-Simon | 2 comments This has always been one of my favorite books and I decided to join the book group just on the basis that you guys were reading it this month! Excited to read it again with you guys and discuss it!!

message 16: by Holly (new)

Holly | 2 comments I love this book and couldn't put it down. Anyone else finished? Excited to talk about it! I think there are some good discussions about parent-child relationships (being a new mom this jumped out during this reading more than past ones). I also really love the descriptions of the different planets.

message 17: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (mwg25) | 40 comments I just got home for a week of spring break and one of the first things I want to do is find my old copy of A Wrinkle In Time and reread it! It's not immediately apparent on my shelf, though. Must have made its way into one of my sisters' rooms. I'll have to look around tomorrow. Read the whole series in middle school - it got very weird starting with book 3, I think, but I definitely LOVED the first 2!

message 18: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Pierse | 3 comments I just finished and I'm in love. never read the series before and I don't know why. So very good. I immediately jumped on amazon and ordered the rest of the quintet. The teen girl in me immediately connected with Meg in all her bespectacled and orthodontia glory. can't wait to read this to my own girls

message 19: by Kristi (new)

Kristi | 11 comments I own and absolutely adore this book choice! I can't wait to reread it! Meg was a favorite character that always stuck with me. I actually have the whole series. ...yayyy

message 20: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (mwg25) | 40 comments Picked up a copy from the public library in my hometown because I couldn't find my old copy! Excited for a reread. Hopefully it'll be a pretty quick one.

message 21: by Ivette (new)

Ivette | 4 comments Never read this in school. On chapter 2 now and Charles Wallace is my favorite character.

message 22: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Bliss (blisser99) This is my 1st time reading the book. I just finished the first chapter, and I am liking it so far. I hope to have it finished by the weekend.

message 23: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Rothenhoffer | 4 comments I was homeschooled so I did not get the opportunity to read many books that were available to other kids. I just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

message 24: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 22 comments I found out a few days ago that this is a SERIES! As if I needed to buy more books! Who needs groceries, right? #RavenclawProblems

message 25: by Chris (new)

Chris (minos157) Finally getting to this months book! Three chapters in and liking so far. This book would've solidified my childhood had I read it back then, the characters are very relatable to me. I too struggled in early school years and got in trouble quite a lot, because I was bored and acting out. I had learned to read with my older brother and so until the school bumped me to a higher reading grade I was a true asshole, to put it kindly lol

The book gives me the feeling of being the next reading level to Phantom Tollbooth. A lot of witty intelligence, but at a higher grade level reading wise. I loved PT so I know I will love the rest of this book!

message 26: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (mwg25) | 40 comments I'm not REALLY that similar to Meg Murry (I'm more of an Anne Shirley mixed with Hermione) - but holy cow, she & Calvin = goals.

message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Pio (beerbudgetsocialite) | 24 comments I was frustrated by the first few chapters, but the story has definitely picked up. Maybe the reason I became is frustrated is the similarities I see in myself and Meg. I remember that reluctant misfit feeling and it was never pleasant. I do have the rest of the books on my Wishlist now though!

message 28: by Devin (new)

Devin Waddell Babcock | 115 comments Mod
You can do it, Courtney! I believe in you (:

message 29: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (mwg25) | 40 comments Cortney - how's it going? I found that it was a pretty fast read, and I actually had to keep telling myself to slow down and really absorb the descriptive imagery in all its depth! So don't feel compelled to race through!

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 9 comments I finally got this book from the library. I know, I know so far behind!! I have actually never read this book before and even the librarian was shocked when I said that.

I am done chapter one and so far so good. OK! Now back to reading!!