Our Shared Shelf discussion

Book Suggestions > Feminist/Notable Female Poets?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Reardon | 49 comments Can anyone suggest any noteworthy poets to look in to? It's a genre of literature that I haven't immersed myself in much, and I would be interested to expand my tastes past novels/short stories.

If a thread like this has already been posted, let me know! Xx

message 2: by Mehar (new)

Mehar | 21 comments do u wantt female poets?

message 3: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Reardon | 49 comments Not necessarily. Any poet that would be worth looking into is really what I'm looking for since, I'll admit, I know basically nothing about the genre

message 4: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Reardon | 49 comments Not necessarily. Any poet that would be worth looking into is really what I'm looking for since, I'll admit, I know basically nothing about the genre

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Kafadar I would start with fun stuff like spoken word poets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znIXy...

http://blog.ted.com/10-spoken-word-pe...

then join

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

I am there a lot but lurking.

Then get national anthologies until you find your preferred style or poet. Start with English of course, Portuguese for weird, Russian for naturalistic, modern Spanish for surrealist, Chinese and Japanese for deep and memorable... you get the idea...

just to worn you, you will start learning foreign languages and quoting poems every occasion at least in your head at first.

write me when you find something really good.

message 6: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Reardon | 49 comments Thank you Robert, I really appreciate your suggestions. I will definitely look into everything you've linked for me. If learning languages is a side effect, I'm all for it!

message 7: by Camille (new)

Camille Néron | 1 comments Sylvia Plath

message 8: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Reardon | 49 comments Camille, I have heard of Sylvia Plath but have neglected to read any of her pieces. Are there any in particular that you recommend? & thank you for contributing :)

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Vega (neapoulain) If you are able to find her work, I strongly recommend Gabriela Mistral.
Michelle Serros are not as famous as others, but has some amazing poems.

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (missyrs) | 24 comments Yes Sylvia Plath - she is my 'go to' poet (regardless of gender really!). One collection is called 'Ariel' there are some astounding pieces in there.

She struggled with (I think?!) depression and suicidal inclinations and some of her work does portray that - without being morbidly contagious - but apart from this she still works beautiful pieces of writing! Really genius.

I highly recommend her.

Rx

message 11: by Iván (new)

Iván Viñas | 25 comments This is my kind of post. Edna St. Vincent Millay, is one of my faves. Vincent led a very progessive type of life, fighting gender roles every step of the way and also she was a political activist. She was very, very popular in her time.

message 12: by Iván (new)

Iván Viñas | 25 comments Andrea wrote: "If you are able to find her work, I strongly recommend Gabriela Mistral.
Michelle Serros are not as famous as others, but has some amazing poems."
I was also thinking about Mistral, but i don't know Michelle Serros. I'll have to look into her. The list as Robert posted is endless, but speaking of notable, Emily Dickinson and oh, Mary Oliver are of my most favourites and are not difficult poets. Right now I'm reading Margaret Atwood, which i believe is very interested in feminist issues. All this are notable poets, but just explore and find what you like the most, poetry is as diverse as music and you can always find something for you.

message 13: by Fachrina (new)

Fachrina | 2 comments It's not for everyone, but maybe you can look into introduction-to-poetry kind of books. They usually provide diverse poems from diverse poets, making it easy to explore different types of poetry. Those books can also give you guidance on how to read poetry, which is a bit different than reading short story and novels.

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Vega (neapoulain) Iván wrote: "Andrea wrote: "If you are able to find her work, I strongly recommend Gabriela Mistral.
Michelle Serros are not as famous as others, but has some amazing poems." I was also thinking about Mistral,..."

Oh, Margaret Atwood! I haven't read her poems but her novels made my interest in feminsm grow.

Also... I don't know if the books of Rosario Castellanos are translated to english, but she is an awesome poet, too and she was a defensor of the women's rights in Mexico the last century.

message 15: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Reardon | 49 comments My reading list is getting mighty long, and I love it!! Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

message 16: by Iván (last edited Mar 04, 2016 11:09AM) (new)

Iván Viñas | 25 comments Andrea wrote: "Iván wrote: "Andrea wrote: "If you are able to find her work, I strongly recommend Gabriela Mistral.
Michelle Serros are not as famous as others, but has some amazing poems." I was also thinking a..."
Oh, yes I've read Rosario on some anthologies, sadly i've never read a full book, I think i need to find the time. I did read Dolores Castro, which she's generally associated with and i've even had the pleasure to meet her... Recomending Sor Juana would be a bad idea, right? i mean, she's as dense as a poet could get. But i'd dare say one of the best poets ever in Spanish. Maybe even in the world. Also a feminist icon in Mexico at least.

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Vega (neapoulain) Sor Juana is really dense, but it's not a bad idea start with the sonets if someone is interested.
She is an icon in Mexico and her life is really really interesting!

message 18: by Heide (last edited Mar 04, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Heide | 135 comments Giaconda Belli, latina feminist poet and author. I haven't read her poems so far, but some of her novels. She's great!

message 19: by Fiza (last edited Mar 04, 2016 07:01PM) (new)

Fiza (fizaaarshad) | 99 comments Sylvia Plath, Emily Dickinson, Margaret Avison.

And some contemporaries include Margaret Atwood, Nyla Matuk, Liz Howard, and Kathleen Jamie. They are pretty awesome, and diverse. I also highly recommend Jonathan Ball's Clockfire (it's uber cool)

I forgot to mention Allen Ginsberg. He is a brilliant writer and reader. So I would definitely suggest you to give him a listen too, especially to "Howl". It touches on important societal issues.

message 20: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Taylor I don't really have an recommendations sorry.

I'm just getting back into reading poetry. So I'm going pinch some of the recommendations here.

I quickly looked up Sor Juana that someone mentioned and liked what I read, so going start there.

message 21: by Britt (new)

Britt | 4 comments You should definitely give Dorothy Parker a try
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
A really brilliant writer cleverly disguising deep insight into human behaviour and emotion with sarcasm, wise-cracking and technically briliant writing. More often than not the only woman in the boys' club of writers in early 20th century New York.

message 22: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Mar 06, 2016 11:04AM) (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Fiza wrote: "Sylvia Plath, Emily Dickinson, Margaret Avison.

And some contemporaries include Margaret Atwood, Nyla Matuk, Liz Howard, and Kathleen Jamie. They are pretty awesome, and diverse. I also highly rec..."

Allen Ginsberg would be a huge yes, even though he's obviously a male author. :) Not only Howl, but also Kaddish, which is basically a long elegy to his mother, Naomi, a rather extraordinary woman whose life was sadly undermined by a series of mental disorders.

If you are intent on reading female poets, however, the Beatnik Gen had quite a few of them. There is this antology called Beat Attitude, it's a bilingual Spanish-English edition so you can still enjoy the poems in there. :) Many of the female poets in that book deserve to be called feminists.

message 23: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (lexthunder15) | 1 comments A few other suggestions:

Audre Lorde
bell hooks
Alice Walker
Lucille Clifton

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Miller (rosethorn7) | 123 comments I would definitely reccomend Emily Dickinson, she as written some great poetry. Another wonderful female poet is Charlotte Perkins Gilman.

message 25: by Agustin (new)

Agustin | 223 comments Juana de Ibarborou

message 26: by Fiza (new)

Fiza (fizaaarshad) | 99 comments Ana wrote: "Fiza wrote: "Sylvia Plath, Emily Dickinson, Margaret Avison.

And some contemporaries include Margaret Atwood, Nyla Matuk, Liz Howard, and Kathleen Jamie. They are pretty awesome, and diverse. I al..."

Will look into Kaddish! It sounds interesting. Thank you for the suggestion =)

message 27: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Vega (neapoulain) I have Dickinson in my to-read list. One of my friends is a big fan and many people here has mentioned it so it must be a great recommendation.

Also, adding to the current recommendations, I'm going to mention the poems of Pita Amor, a Mexican poet. Sadly, I don't know if her poems are translated (I haven't look).

message 28: by Merritt (new)

Merritt Henson I love Oliver and Mueller, particularly the collections mentioned below. There are many wonderful poems from Rich, Nye, and Glück that I have come across as well, although I am less familiar with their work:

Mary Oliver (New and Selected Poems, Vol 1)
Lisel Mueller (Alive Together)
Adrienne Rich
Naomi Shihab Nye
Louise Glück

message 29: by Iván (new)

Iván Viñas | 25 comments The biggest critic in the world, (often critized for including very few women in his Western Canon) Harold Bloom, has said that Dickinson could well be the best poet in the english language. Thank you all for keeping the recommendations coming.

message 30: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Reardon | 49 comments This is great. Thanks everyone!

message 31: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 24 comments The Greek poet Sappho

message 32: by Jody (new)

Jody Scott Elizabeth Bishop, Edna St. Vincent Millay.

message 33: by Gaïane (new)

Gaïane | 4 comments Maya Angelou!

message 34: by Björn (new)

Björn Emland (bjorne) | 8 comments I would strongly recommend two beautiful Nordic top female poets from the last century: (Swedish) Karin Boye and (Swedish-Finnish) Edith Södergran. Both are translated into English and more.

message 35: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments Björn wrote: "I would strongly recommend two beautiful Nordic top female poets from the last century: (Swedish) Karin Boye and (Swedish-Finnish) Edith Södergran. Both are translated into English and more."

I think this article about both of the mentioned women is an interesting read. If someone doesn't understand Swedish, try Google Translate (copy-paste sections of the text) if it makes any sense.

"Låt inte könet styra allt":
http://www.aftonbladet.se/kultur/arti...

It's about literary research (whatever the official term is) in both inside and outside of feminism.

message 36: by Elena (last edited Mar 11, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Elena (helenahufflepuff) | 21 comments In Italy, we had Veronica Gambara in 16th century. She came from a family rich in female intellectuals, and she was a great poet, with connections with Bembo and others notable humanists of her time. Furthermore, she managed the county of Correggio after her husband's death, building an important salon of Italian culture of that time.

You can read something about her works here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronic...

I found a bilingual edition of her poems here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 37: by Maria (new)

Maria Moren (miamariamoren) Love love love Edith Södergran and Karin Boye!!!! Can highly recommended.

message 38: by Isa (new)

Isa (isa2) | 3 comments There are so, so many but I definitely second Maya Angelou and Edna St. Vincent Millay! Maya Angelou is a genius of course beloved today, but Millay was a really intriguing figure herself, as mentioned, during her time - you can read an eloquent bio about her here: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/artic...

Additionally, Emily Dickinson is always a classic. Sappho is an unusually notable female poet from ancient Greece. If you like Margaret Atwood, she has also published a considerable amount of poetry, though admittedly I haven't gotten familiar with her verse yet. More on my personal to-read list are Audre Lord, Sonia Sanchez, and Naomi Shihab Nye though I'm sure they only scratch the surface.

I fairly recently also discovered Suheir Hammad's poetry, first through her spoken word performances, so I would suggest her too:
https://www.ted.com/talks/suheir_hamm...
("Poems of war, peace, women, power")

Thanks for making this thread, I definitely want to explore other people's suggestions now!

message 39: by Erin (new)

Erin Currently loving Nayyirah Waheeds work, especially 'salt'.

message 40: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Woods | 3 comments Try Erin Belieu. I had the pleasure of hearing her read her work once at BU, and she was both hilarious and no-holds-barred feminist. For example, she read this poem about football, which had me laughing out loud. It is quite appropriate given that some big football event is coming up this weekend.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem...

She's also the co-founder of VIDA: Women in Literary Arts, which runs the VIDA count--they're kind of a watchdog group that tracks how many women win literary awards or are published in a given issue of, say, the New Yorker (usually with grim results).

message 41: by Deka (new)

Deka Gedleh | 9 comments Audre Lorde

message 42: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 428 comments Mascha Kaléko wrote some hauntingly beautiful poems.

message 43: by Noor (new)

Noor | 6 comments Audre Lorde
Amanda Lovelace
Rupi Kaur
Najwa Zebian

message 44: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 80 comments Alfonsina Storni was a very famous poet here in Argentina. I'm not sure if her poems were translated into English, but I remember reading some of them when I was in primary school.

message 45: by Mareike (new)

Mareike | 2 comments In addition to those mentioned so far, I'd mention Adrienne Rich, especially An Atlas of the Difficult World and Diving Into the Wreck. I'd also recommend Mohja Kahf and Laila Halaby and Claudia Rankine, especially Citizen: An American Lyric for the latter.

message 46: by Mystic Faerie (new)

Mystic Faerie | 5 comments I really love Evelyn Lau. She's written other books as well, which I have read all of.