FABClub (Female Authors Book Club) discussion

Book Nominations > Nominations (March '16)

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 1256 comments Mod
It's March already, and we've currently got books scheduled through April - so that means it's time for a new round of nominations!

We'll need nominations for our Women of Africa project as well as for companion group reads.

For Women of Africa we need books written by women who were either born in or lived a significant part of their lives in Africa.

For the companion group reads any book by any woman qualifies, new, old, fiction, non-fiction, poetry, memoir, anthology.

So nominate away!!! (Do feel free to glance at previous nominations and polls to see if you're interested in re-nominating any of those.)

message 2: by Alexa (new)

Some books I would really like to read:

For Women of Africa I would like to nominate:
Aya by Marguerite Abouet
Minaret by Leila Aboulela
The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes

For the companion reads I would like to nominate:
Sarah Canary by Karen Joy Fowler
The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith
The Blazing World by Siri Hustvedt

message 3: by Amanda (last edited Mar 05, 2016 09:39AM) (new)

message 4: by Taylor (new)

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) I really want to read the Witches. I was going to wait for it to come out in paperback but if it wins I'll definitely read it with the group.

message 6: by Alexa (new)

Ooooooh, what wonderful looking books!

message 7: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Stacy Schiff's book on Cleopatra was great so I have high hopes for Witches! Plus, WITCHES. Amazing.

message 8: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) For the Women of Africa project: We Need New Names, Kabu Kabu, The Boy Next Door

Not sure if Helen Oyeyemi meets our requirements, she was born in Nigeria but now lives in the UK. She's got a lot of great books, I particularly liked her first one (written when she was 19!) The Icarus Girl

message 9: by Alexa (new)

I think we said anyone born in or who spent a significant amount of time in Africa counted - good to know that about Oyeyemi, I had always seen her described as British, with no mention of her actual birth place. We actually already read We Need New Names at the end of 2013 - is it too soon to read it again?

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) I've been wanting to read Oyeyemi for ages. I would be happy with any of hers. I've read We Need New Names twice so I wouldn't reread that but it's well worth reading if you haven't.

I edited my original nomination post to add one more :)

message 11: by Viv (last edited Mar 06, 2016 07:37AM) (new)

Viv JM | 97 comments I'd like to nominate The Folded Earth by Anuradha Roy for general reading. Oh, and how about Pig Tales: A Novel of Lust and Transformation - it sounds bizarre and interesting.

For the Women of Africa project, I'd like to nominate Beneath the Lion's Gaze by Maaza Mengiste.

I won't nominate any more because there's already so many great nominations that I would like to read in this thread!

message 12: by Kay (new)

Kay I second The Witches by Stacy Schiff and and anything by Oyeyemi for the Women of Africa project.

message 13: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Alexa wrote: "I think we said anyone born in or who spent a significant amount of time in Africa counted - good to know that about Oyeyemi, I had always seen her described as British, with no mention of her actu..."

Ah let's read something that we haven't already covered. Lots of other books to pick from!

message 14: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) I'm looking forward to these two books also!

Sex Object A Memoir by Jessica Valenti Girls & Sex Navigating the Complicated New Landscape by Peggy Orenstein

message 15: by Alexa (new)

The poll results are somewhat confusing. Both polls gave us one clear winner. In fact the Women of Africa poll gives us lots of choices, we could quite fairly take the top 1, 2, 4, or 6 winners. The other poll less so. We could take the top 6, but those results just aren't as satisfying. Perhaps we should have a second runners-up poll?

message 16: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 97 comments I think a runners-up poll sounds like a fair idea!

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) I agree!

message 18: by Alexa (new)

And the winners are...absolutely wonderful!
It looks like we've got some great reading ahead of us!
Here's the schedule:
For May: The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi and The Witches Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff
For June: Aya (Aya #1) by Marguerite Abouet and Purge by Sofi Oksanen
For July: Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor and The Romanov Sisters The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra by Helen Rappaport
For August: Minaret by Leila Aboulela and Gold Fame Citrus by Claire Vaye Watkins

message 19: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 97 comments There's some great books there! How exciting!

Just a thought - I don't want to cause more work for moderators, but is it possible to have two threads for each book ie one roll-call/first impressions and one with spoilers for those that have finished reading? I think it just makes discussing openly easier.

message 20: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) YASSSS these all look amazing. I personally like the simplicity of having one thread for each book and to keep all spoilers behind the spoiler tag, but it's what the group wants! Do we want to see two threads for each book?

message 21: by Alexa (new)

I'm torn - I also like the simplicity of just one thread, yet I can see the appeal of open discussions. Another possibility would be about the middle of the month to say spoilers are now allowed?

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) I prefer 2 threads I think it makes for more conversation. I'm often on my phone a spoiler tags are a pain to do on the app but I can see liking the simplicity of one so really I'm fine with either.

message 23: by Kay (new)

Kay This might be a tough decision, Alexa and Taylor :) I like the one-thread discussions, because it is easier for me to access everyone's thoughts in one place. Especially if I am behind on reading a book, I like to go back and read everyone's comments. Personally, it makes everything more tidy...

message 24: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Kay wrote: "This might be a tough decision, Alexa and Taylor :) I like the one-thread discussions, because it is easier for me to access everyone's thoughts in one place. Especially if I am behind on reading a..."

I think I'm more in favour of the one thread discussions just from an organizational standpoint. It's nice to be able to go back to something we read months ago and jump back into the discussion and have it all be on the same thread. Maybe we can make a moderator announcement half way through the month to say that the discussion can now include conversation from the latter half of the book and we can all keep using the spoiler tags in our comments?

message 25: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Alexa wrote: "I'm torn - I also like the simplicity of just one thread, yet I can see the appeal of open discussions. Another possibility would be about the middle of the month to say spoilers are now allowed?"

Yes I like this idea!

message 26: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 97 comments Sorry, I didn't mean to cause trouble with my two threads suggestion!!

I am easy either way - I just find the spoiler thing can be a bit of a pain, especially when accessing Goodreads via the app.

I am happy with whatever suits others however :-)

message 27: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Spoilers are a total pain when using the goodreads app, they just cut out the spoilers and there's no way to reveal them so it's impossible to read the comments fully. Come on goodreads!!