Space Opera Fans discussion

Previous BOTM Threads > FLUENCY by Jennifer Foehner Wells

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Mar 02, 2016 08:54AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Greetings Space Opera Fans!

In 1960, NASA finds an alien spaceship floating out in the asteroid belt, but we can't get there ... yet...

And then we can...

That's the premise in Fluency by Jennifer Foehner Wells.

Fluency cover

NASA discovered the alien ship lurking in the asteroid belt in the 1960s. They kept the Target under intense surveillance for decades, letting the public believe they were exploring the solar system, while they worked feverishly to refine the technology needed to reach it.

The ship itself remained silent, drifting.

Dr. Jane Holloway is content documenting nearly-extinct languages and had never contemplated becoming an astronaut. But when NASA recruits her to join a team of military scientists for an expedition to the Target, it’s an adventure she can’t refuse.

The ship isn’t vacant, as they presumed. A disembodied voice rumbles inside Jane’s head, "You are home."

Jane fights the growing doubts of her colleagues as she attempts to decipher what the alien wants from her. As the derelict ship devolves into chaos and the crew gets cut off from their escape route, Jane must decide if she can trust the alien’s help to survive.

ARE YOU READING FLUENCY? Shout it out in the discussion thread below, find a Book Buddy to read along, and share your impressions in the discussion folder below. Just remember to be kind and use the spoiler .html so you don't ruin the fun for somebody who isn't as far along.

Be epic!

Anna Erishkigal
SOF Borg Queen

message 2: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Carabella (jdcarabella) | 3 comments I'm gonna tuck in for this one - just added it to my Kindle - Yay KU!

message 3: by Gem (last edited Mar 02, 2016 09:55AM) (new)

Gem Larkspur (gemsl) | 29 comments Added to 'want to read'. *another kindle only ebook. rats*

message 4: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Carabella (jdcarabella) | 3 comments I really find the 9.99 a month is well worth the money I spend.

message 5: by Fiannawolf (new)

Fiannawolf | 163 comments *rummages* Yep...this one is on here too....I think I grabbed it during a countdown sale a few months ago.

message 6: by Anna (last edited Mar 02, 2016 10:25AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Gem wrote: "Added to 'want to read'. *another kindle only ebook. rats*"

It's marked 'Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited' Gem, which means you can purchase it from Amazon and then use the free Calibre ebook management software to convert it into an .epub which you can read on any other device. I own a Nook, but hate B&N's clunky DRM, so I use Calibre to manage all of my ebook library.

Download Calibre free here: https://calibre-ebook.com/

message 7: by Rick (new)

Rick (tallybucsfan) | 3 comments This book is well worth the re-read! I loved it! Will eagerly add back into my currently reading list.

message 8: by Conal (new)

Conal (conalo) | 143 comments I won't be doing a re-read of this but looking forward to her book two which will be arriving in a few weeks.
Remanence

She also just put out an extended version of Chapter 1 of Fluency which oyu can get here.
http://dl.bookfunnel.com/9z3n2eu0f0

message 9: by John (new)

John Abbott | 73 comments I will be reading this one this month definitely! Of course I am one of the people that have asked for it month after month! lol.

Anyway glad it finally won and now I can enjoy. I mean I could've always enjoyed before, but it's more fun when you get to enjoy it with others.

message 10: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 49 comments Had just picked this up actually - had been wanting to read it since reading the short story by the author in the sci fi anthology Dark Beyond the Stars. Her writing in that is brilliant - particularly the way she deals with language and gender identity. I'll be moving this up my queue!

message 11: by MadProfessah (new)

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 134 comments I read this last year. It's surprisingly good for a first time author although I was some what perturbed by the inclusion of hetero-romantic themes in a first-contact alien story.

The writing is not bad I will almost certainly pick up the sequels.

message 12: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 49 comments From my review at the time of the short story in Dark Beyond The Stars by the Fluency author:

Perhaps the one I enjoyed most was Carindi, by Jennifer Foehner Wells, which surprised me most of all. At first, it was a little difficult to get into with purposefully unfamiliar names and an alien race at the heart of the story with demonstrably alien perspectives. But then, as the story progressed, it proved to be the most ambitious of them all in terms of the subjects it engaged with, playing with gendered pronouns and the notions of family, and what one would do for family, becoming quite, quite wonderful by story's end.

message 13: by Conal (new)

Conal (conalo) | 143 comments Jennifer posted this on Twitter today. You can grab a short story of hers for free.

To celebrate the release of REMANENCE, enjoy my short story Symbiont Seeking Symbiont FREE! http://amzn.to/1TYkiq0

message 14: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 49 comments Conal wrote: "Jennifer posted this on Twitter today. You can grab a short story of hers for free.

To celebrate the release of REMANENCE, enjoy my short story Symbiont Seeking Symbiont FREE! http://amzn.to/1TYkiq0"

Good spot! Just snagged that, thank you for the head's up!

message 15: by John (new)

John Abbott | 73 comments Conal wrote: "Jennifer posted this on Twitter today. You can grab a short story of hers for free.

To celebrate the release of REMANENCE, enjoy my short story Symbiont Seeking Symbiont FREE! http://amzn.to/1TYkiq0"

Yes, thank you!

Only at chapter three, but am liking Fluency so far.

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Conal wrote: "Jennifer posted this on Twitter today. You can grab a short story of hers for free..."

Thanks Conal! Grabbed it :-)

message 17: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (ameliabaldwin) | 41 comments Just starting Fluency today. I am listening to the Audible audiobook.

And thanks for the free story link.

message 18: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 883 comments Mod
I finished reading this, and really enjoyed it. Still working on my review.

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Betsy wrote: "I finished reading this, and really enjoyed it. Still working on my review."

Hey, Betsy ... we have to get you a cooler posting-tag than 'moderator'. Maybe something cool and tongue-in-cheek from the Honorverse? If I can be the Borg Queen, then you can be something cool as well.

message 20: by Betsy (last edited Mar 09, 2016 05:14PM) (new)

Betsy | 883 comments Mod
I was thinking about Drone. After all, you're the Borg Queen, and I'm totally subject to your direction.

message 21: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 883 comments Mod
Here's my review.

message 22: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Bergeron (scifi_jon) | 370 comments I was not smitten with the book. She lost me when the romance angle turned the book into a sci-fi romance. I'm all for relationships developing, and maybe through in a little sex, but the way the romance angle was described made me think of the romance books my wife reads. And the way the characters are introduced reminded me of the Patterson novels I've read. The only difference, I can finish a Patterson novel in 2 hours because they're so fast paced. I got about 1/4 done with Fluency before I shelved it.

message 23: by John (new)

John Abbott | 73 comments I enjoyed it. I liked the story line and the way it turns out. I went through it fairly fast, for me, because I wanted to get into reading StarDoc because I have that book sitting on my shelves.

In any case the romance angle didn't bother me any. Bergen's portrayal sometimes ticked me off a little bit, but I got through it fine.

All in all I gave it a 5 star review. If nothing else it was because I thought it was a good story.

message 24: by Anna (last edited Mar 10, 2016 07:14PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Some guys don't mind a bit of romance, others are like that kid in The Princess Bride:

That's why we have a "Books Dudes Recommend to Other Dudes" Listopia :-) Space Opera is expansive enough that we've got something for everyone.

message 25: by John (new)

John Abbott | 73 comments Anna wrote: "Some guys don't mind a bit of romance, others are like that kid in The Princess Bride"

Remember what happened when grandpa tried to remove that stuff though? :D

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) I like romance in my stories, as long as it's balanced out by a strong over-arching plot and lots of death, gore, technology and fights 3:-)

message 27: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (ameliabaldwin) | 41 comments I just finished this and I have posted my review. I enjoyed it and it's well written. I listened to the audio version which was well done. I think it's a good balance of all the elements needed in good sci-if of this type. Brava!

message 28: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 883 comments Mod
Anna wrote: "Hey, Betsy ... we have to get you a cooler posting-tag than 'moderator'. Maybe something cool and tongue-in-cheek from the Honorverse? If I can be the Borg Queen, then you can be something cool as well. "

"Seven of Nine"???? You give me much too much credit. I'll never live up to that.

message 29: by Fiannawolf (new)

Fiannawolf | 163 comments I thought it was an ok read. The romance did go into more overdrive then I'd like but then I am the type of person, that if you put romance in, makes up maybe 20% of the book.

At least its not Anita Blake levels. :P

I guess what I am saying is: I prefer books were the romance doesn't become one of the main plot points, unless its lampshaded that way ala:

Touched by an Alien (Katherine "Kitty" Katt #1)

Will probably get the sequel at some point.

message 30: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Betsy wrote: ""Seven of Nine"???? You give me much too much credit. I'll never live up to that..."

You already do :-)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Fiannawolf wrote: "I thought it was an ok read. The romance did go into more overdrive then I'd like but then I am the type of person, that if you put romance in, makes up maybe 20% of the book.

At least its not An..."

I agree. I don't know if I have a specific percentage in mind, but I don't want romantic angst to take over the entire story. I like it better as an element of the bigger picture.

That said, I read Jen's book last year and it was a nice change of pace from books I'd been reading at the time, which were either fluff or primarily composed of tech speak rather than actual story. I haven't read the sequel yet, because my TBR is so full right now. I do agree with Leo above that Carindi was a really lovely entry into this series.

message 32: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Scott I just did a column for Amazing Stories on romance or romantic elements in science fiction, and contrasted FLUENCY, which I did enjoy a lot, with COLD BETWEEN. There are some plot spoilers tho!
I wasn't critiquing the scifi elements, but discussing the romance. That's my 'beat'. http://amazingstoriesmag.com/2016/03/...

message 33: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 49 comments Finished this a few days back but boy oh boy, too much work stopping me getting onto here. Here's my review:

The stand-out story from last year's Dark Beyond The Stars anthology for me was Carindi, by Jennifer Foehner Wells. A great anthology, well worth your time. Wells' tale, exploring issues of identity, family and the use of language was splendid - and it's set in the same universe as her novel Fluency, so onto the reading list it went.

I was surprised though by the very different character of the novel - where the short story was a thoughtful, gentle exploration, this is a rollicking adventure.

The spacecraft in the Roswell incident was real in this world - a shuttle sent out from a giant spaceship lurking in the Asteroid Belt and time is running out for NASA to send a mission there. Up steps a team of experts - including a linguist who feels out-of-place but who holds the key to communicating with the alien presence lingering there.

There's a whole grab bag of influences here - such as the likes of Carl Sagan's Contact, with lead character Jane Holloway's name even sounding a little like Ellie Arroway in that novel. But beyond that there are even hints of the mind-bending space journey seen in Solaris and pointed tips of the hat towards Tomb Raider and a wave of the tentacle towards Cthulhu.

In mood, though, this almost feels like a spaceborne Indiana Jones adventure, with our female linguist taking the place of a certain whip-cracking archaeologist. It has that pulp-era feel, right down to the moments of comic embarrassment with a potential love interest. There are some well-placed rug pulls in the story, throwing the reader into the same state of confusion as Hollway as she tries to fathom what is going on after the team docks with the ship - and some authentic hard science in the mix too to keep it grounded. I'll confess I didn't particularly buy the romantic relationship in here - but then nor did I picture Indy with a shrill Kate Capshaw in Temple of Doom as a working relationship but it certainly doesn't slow matters down.

Again, Wells explores the use of language in her work - although this time taking it a step further to explore communication without direct language use, too. The moments of communication between radically different cultures were my favourite part of the book - and it's awfully well done, with Holloway becoming more confident in herself as she becomes more sure of her ability to communicate, and emerging as a leader as the rest of the mission begins to fall apart.

Without spoilers, the closing of the book springboards directly towards the second book - Remanence - which has just been published. There's almost a sense of cliffhanger in that ending, but then... what pulp story doesn't end that way?

message 34: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Awesome review :-) Female Indiana Jones in space? Love it!

message 35: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I absolutely loved this book. I'm not afraid of romance in books, but in this book it seemed a little forced. I preferred the Ei Brai scenes.

Can't wait to read book #2.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 36: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 49 comments Anna wrote: "Awesome review :-) Female Indiana Jones in space? Love it!"

Thanks, Anna :)

Looks like it's been popular around here, I've picked up the sequel already. A few books on my list before I get to it, though!

message 37: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Fein (colkai) | 3 comments Already had read it, thought it was great!